The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) "Agressive" offseason #4 we just had a bad year edition

Jim Benning's press conference after resigning Edler, Hamonic and deciding not to buyout Virtanen.

"I believe we have a Great young core that can compete for the playoffs. Without making excuses, we got very unlucky last year and feel we will have a bounce back year.

We are extremely excited to bring on cedric paquette and feel he will bring that competitive energy that will brings us to the next step."

Free Agent Signings
RFA YEARS CAP HIT
Pettersson, Elias 3 $7,000,000
Hughes, Quinn 3 $6,000,000
Juolevi, Olli 2 $900,000
UFA YEARS CAP HIT
Hamonic, Travis 1 $2,500,000
Edler, Alexander 1 $2,000,000
Paquette, Cédric 1 $1,250,000
Recapture Fees
  • Roberto Luongo: $3,035,212
Buried
  • Loui Eriksson: $4,875,000 ($6,000,000)
  • Antoine Roussel: $1,875,000 ($3,000,000)

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
21 $81,500,000 $81,450,659 $648,780 $1,900,000 $49,341
Left Wing Center Right Wing
VAN
Höglander, Nils
$891,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
VAN
Pettersson, Elias
$7,000,000
C
RFA
VAN
Boeser, Brock
$5,875,000
RW
RFA - 1
VAN
Pearson, Tanner
$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
VAN
Horvat, Bo
$5,500,000
C
UFA - 2
VAN
Podkolzin, Vasily
$925,000
RW
RFA - 3
VAN
Motte, Tyler
$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
VAN
Miller, J.T.
$5,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
VAN
Virtanen, Jake
$2,550,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Paquette, Cédric
$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA
VAN
Beagle, Jay
$3,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
VAN
Highmore, Matthew
$725,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
VAN
Hughes, Quinn
$6,000,000
LD
RFA
VAN
Myers, Tyler
$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
VAN
Demko, Thatcher
$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
VAN
Rathbone, Jack
$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
VAN
Schmidt, Nate
$5,950,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 4
VAN
Holtby, Braden
$4,300,000
G
NTC
UFA - 1
VAN
Juolevi, Olli
$900,000
LD
RFA
VAN
Hamonic, Travis
$2,500,000
RD
UFA

VAN
Edler, Alexander
$2,000,000
LD
UFA

Just now, Alflives said:

He’s the 2023 draft, isn’t he?  

Yeah, but after finishing 2nd to last in 2022 Brock Boeser Demands a trade in the off season and we finish last place in 2023 after replacing boeser with Zibanejad and a 8*10m (where he tears his MCL while simutaneously suffering a major concussion)

• Haha 2

Holtby and Myers as a package in a hockey deal:

While I doubt that a Holtby-Myers package would garner interest from a 'hockey deal' standpoint (10.3 million in cap),. I'd kick the tires on this to see what offers we'd receive in return.

To ???

-Holtby

-Myers

To Vancouver:

-A back-up goalie (as opposed to a 1B like Holtby)

-A "defensive defensemen" that is a pure 3rd pairing guy (unlike Myers who can be a #4), but has a decent cap hit.

The Canucks get cap savings and use that money to reinvest elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Holtby and Myers as a package in a hockey deal:

While I doubt that a Holtby-Myers package would garner interest from a 'hockey deal' standpoint (10.3 million in cap),. I'd kick the tires on this to see what offers we'd receive in return.

To ???

-Holtby

-Myers

To Vancouver:

-A back-up goalie (as opposed to a 1B like Holtby)

-A "defensive defensemen" that is a pure 3rd pairing guy (unlike Myers who can be a #4), but has a decent cap hit.

The Canucks get cap savings and use that money to reinvest elsewhere. 

ti=ough sell indeed, much more likely to trade them seperately, myers will be wanted after ED

• Cheers 1

Actually a solid looking forward group providing they are able to average at least 85% of games played per player. I'd rather see Pearson bumped to the third line and find another top 6 forward but that may be too rich for the Canucks.

The defense is lacking true shut down power and that will hurt them.

• Cheers 1

(yes, I know this ain’t happening)

1) Miller + Schmidt + 2nd + Rathbone for Laine + Peeke

2) Eriksson + 1st for Evander Kane 

3) Sign Ryan Murray

4) Re-sign Hamonic

E.Kane-Pettersson-Boeser

Laine-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Graovich-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Hughes-Peeke

Murray-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

(yes, I know this ain’t happening)

1) Miller + Schmidt + 2nd + Rathbone for Laine + Peeke

2) Eriksson + 1st for Evander Kane 

3) Sign Ryan Murray

4) Re-sign Hamonic

E.Kane-Pettersson-Boeser

Laine-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Graovich-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Hughes-Peeke

Murray-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

I hope not. that 3rd and 4th line are terribad.

Our d just got much worse, and you added so much lw depth you forgot about pearson.

this is not a good proposal in my eyes.

why do you want to trade miller so badly? he's better than every player you ask for a return

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I hope not. that 3rd and 4th line are terribad.

Our d just got much worse, and you added so much lw depth you forgot about pearson.

this is not a good proposal in my eyes.

why do you want to trade miller so badly? he's better than every player you ask for a return

I don’t want to trade Miller so bad.  I love Miller.   My hope is that we could just end up with a player that’s slightly better and significantly younger so that we’d have another long term core piece.  

I wouldn’t do my Laine idea (or most other Schmidt-Miller proposals that I’ve suggested), but the Tkachuk-Andersson Calgary proposal is something I’d seriously consider.

• Cheers 1

On 7/16/2021 at 2:54 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

If Benning's only move this summer is bringing in a 4th line plug I will fly the plane with the "Fire Benning" banner over Vancouver myself and give Squamfan a day off...

Might want to buy some plane fuel now then.    

Not sure JB can do that much this year.  His hands are tied until cap is gone.   What we have to work with last year is more or less what we will have this year, with the exception of two probable replacements in Edler and Hamonic.   Just no cap.   Only buying out JV makes any sense ... it's entirely possible JV will be playing too.   Money tends to sweep these things under the rug.  Unless the police actually place formal charges.  

Squamfan wouldn't be happy if we had TB's roster but say hello to him for me.   Last off season was all about laying up for this one and the following one.   Cap space.   We simply don't have much of any to do much of anything.   Sure a hockey trade with a big name is possible, that will cost a big name back. Given we clawed our way back without EP after an unprepared start, my guess is JB won't waiver far from the plans made last off season - at least i hope he doesn't.   Team can make the playoffs as is.   JB doesn't trade his untouchables.   And nobody at all is interested in anything else we have to offer - that much is more then clear given how hard he's worked the phones trying to dump cash.   

It's either that he switches lanes and goes for it while we have both Miller and Horvat.   Feel that could be coming but it's pre-mature.    Timing for that is this seasons TDL.   So i'm hunkered in for a long boring off season.   Unless LE does the noble thing and retires (zero expectations he does but guess we can hope), we have the ED, the draft and QHs/EP signings to looks forward too.   JB needs to put a lock on his banked cash and throw away the key.  

Edit:  On the going for it front.   An example of that would be trading our 9th overall for Reinhardt.    Could be the best deal Buffalo is going to get - everyone knows he wants to leave, they've lost leverage.   Then trade QHs for a kings ransom that includes a guy who can actually defend.   Trading potential is always risky.    JB loves QHs so this isn't going to happen.  Jones for example plus a first.   Jones wants out make them pay for it.   Or Dobson plus a pick.   Or Ekblad.   Or Chychrun plus.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t want to trade Miller so bad.  I love Miller.   My hope is that we could just end up with a player that’s slightly better and significantly younger so that we’d have another long term core piece.  

I wouldn’t do my Laine idea (or most other Schmidt-Miller proposals that I’ve suggested), but the Tkachuk-Andersson Calgary proposal is something I’d seriously consider.

Zero interest in ever seeing a Tkachuk in a Canucks uniform.   Watching their Dad when in WNP never dropping the gloves with someone who could actually fight (poor Dana Murzyn) and then stick it to us .... and of course his idiotic rampage in the Olympic village... zero character.   MT is even worse although maybe Brady but still the apple didn't fall far from the tree, and both these kids are entitled brats    Not the character that JB keeps preaching one bit.   

I really like Miller too (love is a bit strong...for now at least), his energy is noticeable ... You have to pay to play though, and one of BB, Miller or Horvat is most certainly going to be traded in the next year and a half or at least better be or we lose them for nothing.    Guess a couple rounds in the playoffs would make that ok.    To me at least, Miller was all about insulating EPs transition to center, and helping the team make the playoffs, and perform once there.   His stock for sure has gone up ... as a rental we'd get what we paid for back, as a guy with a year left on his deal even more so don't be shocked if he's gone this TDL at the earliest.    The following season either.    Horvat vs Miller.   That's a tough one.  Will take Captain Clutch.   

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Zero interest in ever seeing a Tkachuk in a Canucks uniform.   Watching their Dad when in WNP never dropping the gloves with someone who could actually fight (poor Dana Murzyn) and then stick it to us .... and of course his idiotic rampage in the Olympic village... zero character.   MT is even worse although maybe Brady but still the apple didn't fall far from the tree, and both these kids are entitled brats    Not the character that JB keeps preaching one bit.   

I really like Miller too (love is a bit strong...for now at least), his energy is noticeable ... You have to pay to play though, and one of BB, Miller or Horvat is most certainly going to be traded in the next year and a half or at least better be or we lose them for nothing.    Guess a couple rounds in the playoffs would make that ok.    To me at least, Miller was all about insulating EPs transition to center, and helping the team make the playoffs, and perform once there.   His stock for sure has gone up ... as a rental we'd get what we paid for back, as a guy with a year left on his deal even more so don't be shocked if he's gone this TDL at the earliest.    The following season either.    Horvat vs Miller.   That's a tough one.  Will take Captain Clutch.   

Good points and as far as those aforementioned three go (Boeser, Horvat, Miller), I hope that it would be Miller since he’s the older non-long term asset.  My guess is that Benning will simply let Miller walk in the future (assuming that we are an extremely competitive team at that point).  

As far as MT goes, we can hate him all he wants but the guy scored 34 goals just a few seasons ago and was absolutely prolific in the process.  He hit, worked his butt off, and had a major nose for the net.  Yes, MT is a turtling puke but so was Claude Lemieux and Brad Marchand and they turned out to be pretty damn good.  We all love Alex Burrows, but we also know why he had his well deserved terrible rep around the league.  Kesler as well.

ps - the Olympic stuff in Nagano involving Keith and Team USA got blown way out of proportion from what I understand.  Atleast according to Roenick I believe.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good points and as far as those aforementioned three go (Boeser, Horvat, Miller), I hope that it would be Miller since he’s the older non-long term asset.  My guess is that Benning will simply let Miller walk in the future (assuming that we are an extremely competitive team at that point).  

As far as MT goes, we can hate him all he wants but the guy scored 34 goals just a few seasons ago and was absolutely prolific in the process.  He hit, worked his butt off, and had a major nose for the net.  Yes, MT is a turtling puke but so was Claude Lemieux and Brad Marchand and they turned out to be pretty damn good.  We all love Alex Burrows, but we also know why he had his well deserved terrible rep around the league.  Kesler as well.

ps - the Olympic stuff in Nagano involving Keith and Team USA got blown way out of proportion from what I understand.  Atleast according to Roenick I believe.

Ripping TVs off walls and throwing them out of the building, emptying fire extinguishers and throwing them out of a fifth floor building, and breaking 20 chairs and throwing some of them out of a building isn't that bad.  Wayne Gretzky talked to his  team after, convinced them to stay in the village and be professionals instead of taking the first flight home.   KT was their leader and had a spaz, tantrum and decided to take it out on his apartment and others joined in.   Guess they weren't used to the Spartan life of an Olympic athlete.   TK often came into camp 20-30lbs overweight and was critiqued for entitled behaviour too.    Sure he was awesome, but as far as character goes i was hoping his kids wouldn't have the same issues as their Dad did.   Bully.   Roenick was probably downplaying it which is ok because i'm sure the media did make a bigger deal of it then it was.   But throwing a dozen chairs and emptying a bunch of fire extinguishers and throwing them out the window,  same with a couple TVs isn't very becoming of his a pro athlete should behave is it?   I see a little of this in Miller too.   Great energy when things go well.   Not so great when they aren't. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ripping TVs off walls and throwing them out of the building, emptying fire extinguishers and throwing them out of a fifth floor building, and breaking 20 chairs and throwing some of them out of a building isn't that bad.  Wayne Gretzky talked to his  team after, convinced them to stay in the village and be professionals instead of taking the first flight home.   KT was their leader and had a spaz, tantrum and decided to take it out on his apartment and others joined in.   Guess they weren't used to the Spartan life of an Olympic athlete.   TK often came into camp 20-30lbs overweight and was critiqued for entitled behaviour too.    Sure he was awesome, but as far as character goes i was hoping his kids wouldn't have the same issues as their Dad did.   Bully.   Roenick was probably downplaying it which is ok because i'm sure the media did make a bigger deal of it then it was.   But throwing a dozen chairs and emptying a bunch of fire extinguishers and throwing them out the window,  same with a couple TVs isn't very becoming of his a pro athlete should behave is it?   I see a little of this in Miller too.   Great energy when things go well.   Not so great when they aren't. 

Fair enough but who’s to say that MT is a clone of his father?