Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks & Philly

To Vancouver:

14th OA

Nolan Patrick

To Philadelphia

JT Miller

3rd round pick

Why Philadelphia does this: Philly is in a win now mode. With the strong performance of Carter Hart they are now a more complete team with an expiring window. Giroux (C) 33 years old, Voracek 31 years old, JVR 32 and Hayes 29. While all these players are still great they likely only have a couple years left at a good calibre. Scott Laughton is currently filled in as their 3rd line centre over Patrick. JT Miller comes in to solidify their top 6 and syncs well with their classic bulldog brand at wing or center. He comes in on a cheaper contract and is able to fill a hole that Brayden Schenn left with speed and tenacity. Miller may even be an upgrade on the 2C position over Hayes and gives their top 6 a lot more punch. 

Why Canucks do this: Make no mistake, JT Miller is my favourite player in a canucks uniform. Feelings aside, our run for the cup to be a serious contender is 2+ years out (dependent on signings and trades) at which point if JT keeps up his production he should be commanding $6.5+ per season. With Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes as our core we can not fit in another big contract type of player who will be 30 years old. The deal returns us our solidified 3C who fits the age gap of the team. Some may disagree but with two 30 point seasons and only at age 22, with a change of scenery, I would think he will be able to put up 45-55 points in his prime as our 3C. The 14th OA is the real asset here as it provides us more ability to be creative and fix our defense. We could either stay put and draft at both positions, trade one of the picks for a top 4 defenseman or move up in the draft order. 

I've heard on the radio there is interest in Hyman and Schwartz. While I think Hyman is a good player I think his contract would be too long of a term and he will not keep up his production. Schwartz at a cheaper smaller term would hopefully replace some of Millers productions while we draft, develop, trade for our top 6 LW's. The point is to say we would need to replace some of Miller's production at LW through the UFA or trade route while giving up minimal assets until we have a new player that gels with our core. This also clears some cap space and remember this move is made to build our top 4 defense which is our weakest aspect while filling our 3C gap.

Having 2 first round picks at 14th OA and 9th OA could really be a game changer for the canucks heading into next year.

Teams that are rebuilding would then have 3 first round picks and may consider. 

Thank you,

Edited by Shanghaii Owey Ice

12 minutes ago, Shanghaii Owey Ice said:

To Vancouver:

Travis Konecny

To Philadelphia

JT Miller

Why Philadelphia does this: Philly is in a win now mode. With the strong performance of Carter Hart they are now a more complete team with an expiring window. Giroux (C) 33 years old, Voracek 31 years old, JVR 32 and Hayes 29. While all these players are still great they likely only have a couple years left at a good calibre. Scott Laughton is currently filled in as their 3rd line centre over Patrick. JT Miller comes in to solidify their top 6 and syncs well with their classic bulldog brand at wing or center. He comes in on a cheaper contract and is able to fill a hole that Brayden Schenn left with speed and tenacity. Miller may even be an upgrade on the 2C position over Hayes and gives their top 6 a lot more punch. 

Why Canucks do this: Make no mistake, JT Miller is my favourite player in a canucks uniform. Feelings aside, our run for the cup to be a serious contender is 2+ years out (dependent on signings and trades) at which point if JT keeps up his production he should be commanding $6.5+ per season. With Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes as our core we can not fit in another big contract type of player who will be 30 years old. The deal returns us our solidified 3C who fits the age gap of the team. Some may disagree but with two 30 point seasons and only at age 22, with a change of scenery, I would think he will be able to put up 45-55 points in his prime as our 3C. The 14th OA is the real asset here as it provides us more ability to be creative and fix our defense. We could either stay put and draft at both positions, trade one of the picks for a top 4 defenseman or move up in the draft order. 

I've heard on the radio there is interest in Hyman and Schwartz. While I think Hyman is a good player I think his contract would be too long of a term and he will not keep up his production. Schwartz at a cheaper smaller term would hopefully replace some of Millers productions while we draft, develop, trade for our top 6 LW's. The point is to say we would need to replace some of Miller's production at LW through the UFA or trade route while giving up minimal assets until we have a new player that gels with our core. This also clears some cap space and remember this move is made to build our top 4 defense which is our weakest aspect while filling our 3C gap.

Thank you,

Fixed.

• Like 1

I don't like this for us at all. The only good thing about it would be the 14th OA, not even Patrick.

Overall though, this is a step backwards for us imo.

For what it's worth, I'm glad you at least explained yourself and why you feel things would work, even if I disagree with them.

Edited by The Lock