Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

About 2 months ago I got a census form in my mail. Gave directions to go online and complete their form.

Done, they only asked how many people spent the night of May 20/21 at my house.

Since I did the form prior to that date  I gave them the number 0 and filled in the comment section informing them that I wasn't  psychic, and presto all done.

Till this morning when I get a letter from Stats Can requiring immediate attention.

"Must be important" I thought; and opened that thing up.

Their records show that I haven't completed my form. However rather than saying " can you confirm if and when you did the census" I get a nasty letter.

A letter full of threats, regarding my legal obligation and duty, as well as trying to intimidate me with a $500 fine.

"Mmm, sounds serious, maybe I should look into this."

Ohhh wait, I guess everything is actually o.k. because the bottom paragraph of their threatening letter says 

" If you household has already completed the census questionnaire, please accept my thanks.

Your sincerely 

Anil Arora."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

So they don't seem to know if I filled in their form or not, but feel it is ok to threaten me anyway.

This type of crap from my government does not help; in fact it tempts me to become a real jerk every time I deal with them in the future.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gurn said:

About 2 months ago I got a census form in my mail. Gave directions to go online and complete their form.

Done, they only asked how many people spent the night of May 20/21 at my house.

Since I did the form prior to that date  I gave them the number 0 and filled in the comment section informing them that I wasn't  psychic, and presto all done.

Till this morning when I get a letter from Stats Can requiring immediate attention.

"Must be important" I thought; and opened that thing up.

Their records show that I haven't completed my form. However rather than saying " can you confirm if and when you did the census" I get a nasty letter.

A letter full of threats, regarding my legal obligation and duty, as well as trying to intimidate me with a $500 fine.

"Mmm, sounds serious, maybe I should look into this."

Ohhh wait, I guess everything is actually o.k. because the bottom paragraph of their threatening letter says 

" If you household has already completed the census questionnaire, please accept my thanks.

Your sincerely 

Anil Arora."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

So they don't seem to know if I filled in their form or not, but feel it is ok to threaten me anyway.

This type of crap from my government does not help; in fact it tempts me to become a real jerk every time I deal with them in the future.

 

 

 


Out of curiosity did you get a confirmation # after you completed it online? We did and made note of it so we’re ready…go ahead, come at me you weasels!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


Out of curiosity did you get a confirmation # after you completed it online? We did and made note of it so we’re ready…go ahead, come at me you weasels!

Yes.

Honestly the whole thing makes me think of this:

 

DIREGARD.jpg

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We got 3 letters 

 

One for our house, main, basement.... we filled out the main application- since then census personnel have shown up to our house 3x saying we haven't completed it when we did.

 

Finally ended up calling them and they finally buzzed off after realizing there is just one house- with one family- no basement or other families here...

 

Call them at 1 855 340 2021

Edited by PunjabiCanucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dad (in his 80's and who was set to be hospitalized) got the long form and completed it....gave it to me to mail for him.  I grabbed it without really looking at it and took it to Canada Post to mail.  Realized when I got mine to fill out he's inadvertently put it back into the envelope it came in to mail it!  Different than the one they'd included for sending back the completed census.  But he tried.  Seniors often get confused and Dad was no exception.

 

He got a call RIGHT before he went in for his surgery...he thought it was a prank and hung up as we so often direct seniors to do if unsure about calls.  He's been getting SO many calls lately and it's overwhelming as he tries to weed through what's legit and what's not.

 

W/E.  I've tried calling twice and held forever, then disconnected.   Tried.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was In BC for a month helping my dad with renovations. I got a nasty call, asking why I didn't complete my census. I told them I wasn't aware of it, and i still got sass from them. I was working so I forgot, and didn't remember till i got home a few weeks later.

 

But I believe this is a weird time to be completing a census, why not wait until after covid dies down? I'm assuming many people are planning on moving, I know I am. I'm getting the heck out of Alberta. I love the lower mainland so much, Friends Family  and the humid air. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish these mofos put in half as much time and taxpayers money towards actually helping people with meaningful matters as they do with this census bs.  

 

The government knows damn well what people need - affordable homes, good schools,  available medical care and reasonable jobs.  We don't need a census to tell us this.

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I wish these mofos put in half as much time and taxpayers money towards actually helping people with meaningful matters as they do with this census bs.  

 

The government knows damn well what people need - affordable homes, good schools,  available medical care and reasonable jobs.  We don't need a census to tell us this.

Don’t the census numbers help government plan where to rezone for urban growth, build schools, build hospitals, and invest in business for jobs?  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t the census numbers help government plan where to rezone for urban growth, build schools, build hospitals, and invest in business for jobs?  

There are at least a dozen different existing ways they can gather most of the relevant data you mentioned other than by pestering and threatening citizens. 

 

Federally the government has known for two decades that rural access to fundamental medical care is lacking,  what have they done about it - NOTHING. 

 

Provincially they've known for two decades what school districts are growing and similarly they've done nothing about that.

 

You're not going to easily convince me of the practical uses of this obsession with gathering data unless you suggest it's alternative motive is to ensure they've collected as much tax from people as they can be collecting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

There are at least a dozen different existing ways they can gather most of the relevant data you mentioned other than by pestering and threatening citizens. 

 

Federally the government has known for two decades that rural access to fundamental medical care is lacking,  what have they done about it - NOTHING. 

 

Provincially they've known for two decades what school districts are growing and similarly they've done nothing about that.

 

You're not going to easily convince me of the practical uses of this obsession with gathering data unless you suggest it's alternative motive is to ensure they've collected as much tax from people as they can be collecting. 

What are these other methods of which you speak?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are these other methods of which you speak?  

School registrations alone could gather most of what you're suggesting regarding urban growth,  building schools, hospitals, jobs ect....

 

When you register a child in school in BC you need to give: age, gender,  copy of birth cert, siblings information,  parental/guardian information,  parents workplace information,  medical concerns, indigenous status self-declaration, previous school district info just off the top of my head.  A little extrapolation and you've got a lot of data there and this data is already compulsory by the MoE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet half the people with illegal suites lie anyways.  You would think between schools and just city info they would be able to figure stuff out easy enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We did ours but still got a phone call for an old place we used to rent. We called them back and it was sorted out in no time.

 

Honestly, people always complain about the census, but just do the thing and help out your country with important planning/governing. Not everything has to turn into a government- hating rant, does it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, Fanuck said:

The government knows damn well what people need - affordable homes, good schools,  available medical care and reasonable jobs.  We don't need a census to tell us this.

Uhh.. I agree with the sentiment but a census would be needed when doing any of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, Fanuck said:

School registrations alone could gather most of what you're suggesting regarding urban growth,  building schools, hospitals, jobs ect....

 

When you register a child in school in BC you need to give: age, gender,  copy of birth cert, siblings information,  parental/guardian information,  parents workplace information,  medical concerns, indigenous status self-declaration, previous school district info just off the top of my head.  A little extrapolation and you've got a lot of data there and this data is already compulsory by the MoE.

The flipside to that would be turning the married or single adults with no kids and aging and elderly parents out of the info gathering for planning services and infrastructure, because they don't fall into the school district info collection system.

 

Last I heard, baby boomers/silver-haired voters are still the largest voting block in this country.  I don't think they'd take kindly to being left out of the critical services planning.  :bigblush:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...