The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis hired by NHLPA as consultant on business matters

Rate this topic

Consider this: Donald Fehr is almost 73 ad can't lead the NHLPA forever. I see them hiring Gillis to eventually take over from Fehr. That would put him at the head of the PA in any future negotiations with the league. Sort of, "If nobody will hire me, I'm going to make every owner's life as miserable as I can."

• Vintage 1

Perfect timing for Gillis.

Get's to know the association's inner workings and dynamics for a year or two; then takes over as boss.

Players could do a lot worse.

Gillis has already proven he will fight for what he believes is right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Consider this: Donald Fehr is almost 73 ad can't lead the NHLPA forever. I see them hiring Gillis to eventually take over from Fehr. That would put him at the head of the PA in any future negotiations with the league. Sort of, "If nobody will hire me, I'm going to make every owner's life as miserable as I can."

A savy former agent Gillis vs Rattman - if your prediction holds true.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good fit for him.  He doesn't have to work with other GM's and his role doesn't involve player evaluation.  Hopefully he irritates the living hell out of Bettman.

Glad to see him land on his feet,not a dumb guy.lol loss on Seattle’s part imo

Glad to see him land on his feet. Hope to see him get another job in an NHL front office. I think he did a good job as Canucks' GM. Burke and Nonis have retroactively gotten the lion share of credit--unfairly I think. Does Nonis deserve credit for how Gillis got Ehrhoff for freaking Patrick White?

Edited by Nave

Gillis is a great fit for this. As earlier posts suggest, he will be inline to take over for Fehr.

Super Agent - GM - Head of the PA. 

that’s a great resume to understand perspectives from all sides. Good for hockey IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Good for Mike, although this is likely something he's doing for free or very little to get his name back out there and to stay relevant for another crack at a job. 

As for being the next Fehr.... people forget Fehr had a career in MLB prior to coming over to the NHL. Mike isn't on that level. 

• Cheers 1

We all know his faults but aside from these, Gillis was actually very innovative in his time as  Canucks GM.

There were many.out of the box ideas that could be good in this new roll.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Makes sense. I suspect Mike has some good ideas on how to expand things like NHLPA licensing to new product or service areas and maybe he's trying to build up an area of new business around that.