The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Islanders trade Nick Leddy to Red Wings for Richard Panik, 2021 2nd-round pick

9 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

So they trade a pick and a prospect for a player in the hopes that they can flip him for a pick and a prospect? Just seems kinda strange to me 

Panik is not a prospect though, he's a cap dump. If they can even just hold him til after the expansion draft and flip him for a high second or low first it's a huge win. My guess is Stevie already has a trade setup for post expansion draft, he's a pretty smooth hombre.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Oh they already started - like why didn't we give up a second and retain half on say Roussel.    Cap space dimwits.    

OTT and DET both have made several moves/signings the last 18 months that follow the same sort of thing JB did.    Wait until they both try and win a cup during their "elc" window.    Won't happen. 

People would go nuts on here if we have up our 2nd for a 30 year old dman hahahah

27 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Panik is not a prospect though, he's a cap dump. If they can even just hold him til after the expansion draft and flip him for a high second or low first it's a huge win. My guess is Stevie already has a trade setup for post expansion draft, he's a pretty smooth hombre.

Sorry, you’re right, brain fart on my part regarding Panik. Was into the booze pretty hard last night lol. I’m still of the mind that there’s a bit of a double standard on here, if this trade was made by JB people would be going nuts, where as Stevie gets the benefit of the doubt. I believe he’s a great GM but this deal seems weird to me. Could be totally wrong though. 

8 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Sorry, you’re right, brain fart on my part regarding Panik. Was into the booze pretty hard last night lol. I’m still of the mind that there’s a bit of a double standard on here, if this trade was made by JB people would be going nuts, where as Stevie gets the benefit of the doubt. I believe he’s a great GM but this deal seems weird to me. Could be totally wrong though. 

Will have to see what he ends up getting for Leddy. It makes no sense as a straight ahead trade for 1 year, considering they're gonna suck anyway. But if he can dump half of Panik's salary and upgrade his draft pick it makes a ton of sense.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

So schmidt should net us a high 2nd too

High second… 

Think low first plus a player.  He had a down year, but known as a good player, both sides good in the playoffs, seeing as 
LV did no better with AP, at a lot more cost, Schmidt is also under contract beyond next year.  Leddy is expiring.  

Isles had to deal now, not next week.  

not nearly the same market or price.