The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Philly

Well just a over an hour until the roster freeze… I hope Benning doesn’t run out of time for making a deal.

There should be some sort of pre-expansion move made, we are in too good of a protection spot to not weaponize that.  There aren’t many benefits to having a thin roster full of guys no one wants… today is one of the few days that will ever be an advantage.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Provost said:

You can buy out Holtby after leaving him exposed if he isn’t picked up.  There may even be a trade market (with little return except the cap space) for him once teams have lost back ups to Seattle.

On the D trade front, whether it is the Philly guys or not… we should be picking up 1-2 D upgrades before the roster freeze even if it is a gentleman’s agreement to just store them for a few days on our protected list and trading them back after expansion… I don’t think there were any rules around stopping that.  Would a team that wants to keep their #4 D be willing to give us a 2nd round pick to protect him and then turn around and get him back for a 7th round pick?

I don’t know that our front office has that sort of creative thinking or the capacity to have that as a back up plan late if they can’t pull the trigger on a guy that we can keep.

There is actually is a rule against that.  Players traded from 1 February 2021 through the expansion draft can't be traded back to their former teams till 1 February 2022.  From the transition rules:  

Any Player who is transferred (via Waivers or Trade) from one NHL Club’s Reserve List to another NHL Club’s Reserve List from February 1, 2021 through the date of the Expansion Draft (both dates inclusive) may not be reacquired via Trade by his prior NHL Club during the period following the Expansion Draft through January 31, 2022 (both dates inclusive).