The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumour] Max Domi may be left unprotected per report

https://www.1stohiobattery.com/columbus-blue-jackets-news/2021/07/6187/the-blue-jackets-will-not-protect-max-domi-for-the-expansion-draft-per-report

Wonder what the cost would be? Definitely struggled in Columbus last year, but seems like a lot of good players struggle there. Fills a pretty significant need for the Canucks as a a possible top 6 winger, or a middle 6 center. Plays with a edge, has history with Horvat, seems like good fit to me. He's owed 6 million this upcoming year so might be a cheap get for Benning.

Edited by shayster007

• MeanSeanBean changed the title to [rumour] Max Domi may be left unprotected per report

It could show how difficult moving money could be again.  They probably only have offers that involve retaining or taking money back and don’t want to pull the trigger on that.

Like we would have to move someone like Roussel the other way to make it work.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Nave said:

I love the idea of Domi playing with Horvat, but he's already been traded a couple times, which makes me wonder what's happening behind the scenes.

It's possible he's a chip off the old block I guess. I reckon Montreal played it smart and sold high on him.  That 72 point season wasn't a realistic standard for him, and following it with a under 50 probably solidified that. Montreal won huge with Anderson on that one.

I have a hard time judging a player on either Arizona or Columbus. Worst case scenario if he's a cheap grab, he goes to free agency next year and the experiment only lasts this season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nave said:

I love the idea of Domi playing with Horvat, but he's already been traded a couple times, which makes me wonder what's happening behind the scenes.

100% agree, could be great to have that friendship back and that extra little bit of lightweight toughness. Might be behind the scene issues but Bo could maybe keep him in line. Or J.T might need another project now that Jake is donezo 

20 minutes ago, Nave said:

Oftentimes it's because the team receiving the player wants the player vs. "behind the scenes" issues.  As much as ARZ and MTL deemed him expendable, MTL and CLB also wanted him.  With Columbus, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is a cap issue.

If a deal can be made where the net cap hit to the Canucks is  $3M to $4M, I'd pull the trigger.

Anyone who can lay the boots to Kesler like Max Domi did has a spot on my team.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

If it wasn't for the cap hit, and if the acquisition cost was low, I'd happily take a flyer on him.

But like @Provostsaid, we'd have to send someone like Roussel back. Roussel + a 3rd or something and hell yes lol

Absolutely!  If the rumours are true that they would rather leave him exposed than take a return like that which requires eating a bit is salary… that is really bad news about the market and how no one wants to take cap even on decent players.  It makes Schmidt’s value negligible as kind of a comparable mid tier level player like Domi.

On the positive side, if things are still that tight we might be able to find really solid unqualified young RFA’s where teams are scared of the possible arb awards.  Maybe being able to play a bigger role on a crappy team like ours would be attractive to those sorts of guys on a 1 year deal to bet on themselves inflating their next contract by getting lots of minutes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Oftentimes it's because the team receiving the player wants the player vs. "behind the scenes" issues.  As much as ARZ and MTL deemed him expendable, MTL and CLB also wanted him.  With Columbus, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is a cap issue.

If a deal can be made where the net cap hit to the Canucks is  $3M to $4M, I'd pull the trigger.

Anyone who lay the boots to Kesler like Max Domi did has a spot on my team.

Who is the idiot working the cameras? 

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He had shoulder surgery in June and it's expected that he will not return until November or December.

My professional experiences with labrum and younger athletes is normally very positive at least. Hopefully he makes a solid recovery.

If they retained or took back a bad contract I would be all over this. A nice reclaimation project... but not at 6 million. Maybe next offseason (or if Columbus buys him out after the ED) when he goes ufa we can give him a show me deal with an opportunity to play with Bo.