The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars re-sign Miro Heiskanen

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Stars re-sign Miro Heiskanen
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

well at least the market is set for Hughes now. He can't demand more than MH. 

MH is a far superior player vs QH at this point and probably always will be a more complete player.

Maybe it will look different in a few years, but right now QH should be nowhere near those numbers IMO. 

A bridge deal around 5 mil would be my guess.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Miro is a better defenseman than QH right now.  IS a comparable point machine.  This puts QH close to 6.5-7.5 million is my estimate.  I am thinking a bridge deal is in the works, 2-3 years to see if he's going to get better overall defensively or always be a point producer.  If they can retain him for 8 under 7.5 though JB would have done quite well

• Cheers 4

Locking players in long term now might not be a bad idea.  Knowing the flat cap is a major issue gives some big leverage to keep the salary lower than say 3 or 4 years from now when the cap starts increasing again.

Heiskanen probably gets $9m+ if not for the flat cap world.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

if Hughes signs 7.5 x 8 I think we’d all be happy.  My guess on the bridge deal would be 5.5x 2 with the contract maybe being 4M the first year and 7M the next so the Canucks would have to qualify him at 7M for his next contract. 

Something along those lines but the qualifying offer rules have changed so they can’t play around with it that way.

If Heiskenen is $8.45 for 8 years… that would make Hughes worth about a million less on the same term… if you scale that back to 2-3 year bridge, you “should” be looking at a sub $6 million number.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

Heiskanen's two way game makes me think that deal will soon look like a bargain.

Still think the ultimate comparative contract will be with Cale Makar. Simply because Heiskanen himself is a total different breed of a defensemen who can play all situations and could very well project to play a role like Pietrangelo, Hedman, Bouwmeester kind of game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1