The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

21 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

While NYI manages to clear a truly awful contract off their books without giving up a first....we got Jim parting with yet another 3rd round pick for a defensive minded RFA forward.  And then when asked about the player cites his SJW initiatives as being a driving force behind the trade.... Personally I'm a little tired of Jim's virtue signalling with respect to building this positive locker room culture.... this philosophy has been in place for several years now and has not yielded a ton of results.  I think a better focus would be on improving the teams cap situation and overall asset management.

I also don't really get why we didn't direct Seattle into taking some cap off our books....in addition to exposing Holtby, Pearson and Myers could have been exposed in an attempt to get them to clear some valuable cap space.  Last offseason for UFAs was proof that it was a buyer's market for teams with cap space.  Clearing all our dead cap should be our number one priority....yet we seem to have pigeon holed Seattle into taking a flyer on a cheap contract like Lind or Gadj.... Maybe they bail us out and take Holtby.... Personally not holding my breath on that front.  I doubt Francis is going to take too kindly to our little Dickinson maneuver and just bail us out of our 4.3 million dollar backup goalie problem just because.

It’s a good point about a division rival assisting with our cap but the argument you make has a simple answer…no one wants our dead cap players, just like we don’t want theirs. Do you think this is just a problem that’s only affecting the Nux?!?  Try and accept that there is very limited market for what you’re proposing. This isn’t EA NHL 21.

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Yes I will jump for joy if mctavish slides to us 3rd line of Pearson Mact Podz is really exciting 

Don’t think MacT is NHL ready but having him in the pipeline would be very exciting for sure!

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

It’s a good point about a division rival assisting with our cap but the argument you make has a simple answer…no one wants our dead cap players, just like we don’t want theirs. Do you think this is just a problem that’s only affecting the Nux?!?  Try and accept that there is very limited market for what you’re proposing. This isn’t EA NHL 21.

Great. If no one wants Pearson or Myers we keep them..... We could have tried to add a defenseman like Graves or Dunn and gambled on Myers.  If he gets taken, we clear.6 mill in cap, if he doesn't, we keep.... Same with Pearson....

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Apparently we are still in on Hyman so things should get interesting as time goes on. 

oh yeah, forgot about that. I also heard that Benning may still want to add a Top 6 winger for Bo's line to slide Pearson down. 

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hyman - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

4 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

Great. If no one wants Pearson or Myers we keep them..... We could have tried to add a defenseman like Graves or Dunn and gambled on Myers.  If he gets taken, we clear.6 mill in cap, if he doesn't, we keep.... Same with Pearson....

And where is this magic money to cover the spread on what you propose? 

Sorry, I understand where you’re coming from, and truly in many ways each of us is a masochist at times for rooting for this team, haha.

But considering where we are and only 1 year away from removing so much dead weight and dead cap, we are better off to get through the year and start fresh next season with so much coming off the books.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

oh yeah, forgot about that. I also heard that Benning may still want to add a Top 6 winger for Bo's line to slide Pearson down. 

Please kindly explain how we can afford to sign Hyman who's expecting $5M+ a year without trading Boeser? Hmmmm...  Like we can find a taker for Eriksson??? 

33 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

While NYI manages to clear a truly awful contract off their books without giving up a first....we got Jim parting with yet another 3rd round pick for a defensive minded RFA forward.  And then when asked about the player cites his SJW initiatives as being a driving force behind the trade.... Personally I'm a little tired of Jim's virtue signalling with respect to building this positive locker room culture.... this philosophy has been in place for several years now and has not yielded a ton of results.  I think a better focus would be on improving the teams cap situation and overall asset management.

I also don't really get why we didn't direct Seattle into taking some cap off our books....in addition to exposing Holtby, Pearson and Myers could have been exposed in an attempt to get them to clear some valuable cap space.  Last offseason for UFAs was proof that it was a buyer's market for teams with cap space.  Clearing all our dead cap should be our number one priority....yet we seem to have pigeon holed Seattle into taking a flyer on a cheap contract like Lind or Gadj.... Maybe they bail us out and take Holtby.... Personally not holding my breath on that front.  I doubt Francis is going to take too kindly to our little Dickinson maneuver and just bail us out of our 4.3 million dollar backup goalie problem just because.

You need a drink or you're already drunk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I see Dickinson as more of a winger, just as Dallas used him. His game seems more suited there. 

I would put Hyman with Petey/Boeser given his ability to play with offensive talent(with Matthews/Marner)

I would move Miller to 3rd C and give him Hoglander(they both had chemistry to end the year) and let them eat up secondary lines. Teams won’t know who to play their top D against. 

Give Horvat Pod and let him learn how to play against top end players in a shutdown role but you could swap Pod/Dickinson if it becomes too much for Pod to handle right away. 

Essentially

Hyman-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Pod/Dickinson

Dickinson/Pod-Miller-Hoglander

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

And where is this magic money to cover the spread on what you propose? 

Sorry, I understand where you’re coming from, and truly in many ways each of us is a masochist at times for rooting for this team, haha.

But considering where we are and only 1 year away from removing so much dead weight and dead cap, we are better off to get through the year and start fresh next season with so much coming off the books.

We should have cleared cap.... We start parting with some future year draft capital like many other teams have before us.  Get rid of Loui or Roussel or Beagle or all.  Islanders just cleared Ladd off the books. Loui would have been cheaper due to one less year of term.

We should have been in a better position to weaponize our protection spots instead of using them on middling talents like Pearson and Myers.

35 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

SJW? Virtue signaling? Surprised you didn't call Benning a snowflake, lol. Heaven forbid we try and bring in high character people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Please kindly explain how we can afford to sign Hyman who's expecting $5M+ a year without trading Boeser? Hmmmm...  Like we can find a taker for Eriksson??? 

We are all wondering that. Most recent report states that the Canucks are still very interested in Hyman so I am wondering what JB is planning if he still wants a top 6 forward.