The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some fairly recent 3rd Round picks by the Canucks:

Jurmo

Madden

DiPietro

Lockwood

Tryamkin

If Dickinson has more upside than these players, then I guess it's worth it. 

Fair enough. Still smarting about Tryamkin re-signing in the KHL. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He shouldn’t. That number wreaks of failed potential.

Canucks who have worn 18:

Steve Kariya

Fedor Fedorov 

Steve Bernier

Cam Barker

Ryan Stanton

Jake Virtanen

Time to throw that number away. Let him wear 17, 20, 21, or 24-29

Igor Larionov, I rest my case. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I’m gonna play devil’s (CJ) advocate here and ask aloud:

if Dickinson’s metrics show that he’s a better player defensively than Radek Faksa, who is a year older, and has a 3.25mill cap hit until 2024/25, then why did DAL decide to let JD go?

Faksa arguably is better on O (depending what lines he’s up against), but also has a nagging wrist injury that flares up from time to time.

Aside from JD requiring a new contract where the Faksa $ value is a direct comparable, what would prompt DAL to decide he’s the one that’s expendable?

I realize they are basically the same player with slightly different strengths, but even with that considered, why Faksa over Dickinson?

Who is it in their system that can be groomed to replace JD’s role on the cheap?

And did DAL move on from JD because Faksa is the better option to play around the top 9 if necessary?

Why not keep him as their 4th line C/W?

Thoughts?

maybe it was simply a matter of interest - what the team making the best offer wanted/were interested in - obviously I can't verify whether Vancouver pursued Dickinson specifically, or if Dallas made him in particular 'available' - or perhaps Dallas wanted a higher price alternatively - who knows - but 'it takes two to dance'.   Faksa was a considerably better faceoff guy, and played more specifically 'harder minutes' - so the 'comparables' aren't without nuance (I'm not sure I'd say Faksa's defensive numbers are inferior).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

Also worth taking some of these "WAR" numbers with a serious grain of salt.

When Nick Suzuki is in a shortlist with Dickinson as one of the best "Even strength defence wins above replacement" / WAR...the metric is clearly wonky (Suzuki has no place in a top 20 of "defense" WAR.   Period.

Suzuki
56.4% ozone starts

52.9% corsi

.881 on ice sv%

3.2 on ice goals against per 60 5on5 (2.8 for).

44% faceoffs

Literally nothing about the young Nick Suzuki / what exactly is it about Suzuki that puts him in a shortlist in this category.

#hero-chart quality 'analytics'?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I saw Kesler in myself hahahahaha. 
That’s hilarious 

I mean, it says he seen a lot of himself in Kesler. And douchey personality/antics aside, Kesler was a monster. Two-way beast and an elite shot. He's the kind of player I wish Horvat developed into. Imagine the leadership of the Sedins with the tenacity and shooting of Kesler? If Dickinson is Kesler-lite (as a player) that's a huge win for our bottom 6.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He shouldn’t. That number wreaks of failed potential.

Canucks who have worn 18:

Steve Kariya

Fedor Fedorov 

Steve Bernier

Cam Barker

Ryan Stanton

Jake Virtanen

Time to throw that number away. Let him wear 17, 20, 21, or 24-29

Wow, good point

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Not really, he's convinced me he's an idiot who is only here to stir the pot. People should just ignore him and maybe he'll go away

He’s entitled to his opinion as you are yours. You don’t have to agree but that doesn’t make him an idiot. This is a forum with differing views all of which contribute to making it interesting and insightful. 

If you want a hug-a-thon go start another thread for that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Miller-Petey-Boser

Pearson-Bo-Reinhart

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

is a pretty interesting top 9. 

As long as we’re not trading the 9OA for Reinhart

No thanks 

Edited by Honky Cat

What else do we have that would entice BUF enough to trade Reinhart. That’s the problem I think. The assets required are all ones we want to keep and maybe not so expendable. My guess would be Hogz to start. Maybe even a Rathbone too.  Unfortunately that 9OA pick may be our best trade chip atm…?

Personally I hope we draft with the pick and just add to the prospect pool for now. 

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He’s entitled to his opinion as you are yours. You don’t have to agree but that doesn’t make him an idiot. This is a forum with differing views all of which contribute to making it interesting and insightful. 

If you want a hug-a-thon go start another thread for that. 

I respect people who give their opinions, positive or negative, but this guy seems to be going after every positive view with negative garbage. Once I saw his pattern I merely suggested people ignore him instead of engaging. This trade has been overwhelmingly accepted by readers here as positive and seems to be a good move by Benning. Not interested in a hug-a-thon, maybe this guy wasn't hugged enough as a child, which shows with his negative personality

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Like I said before, he is ok I guess but definitely nothing to be pumped up about and too little for a 3rd. Jim is good at drafting so that 3rd could end up being useful player when our real window opens and the new GM is making things happen to put us over the top. We spent a 3rd on a very 1 dimensional player under contract for a season. Why are you so excited? 

I ran out of garbage bags I had to put this here instead.

Jk I didn’t. 

Still wanted to put this garbage here.

Not joking anymore. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

adding a player like dickinson will improve our numbers in 5vs5 scoring theoretically. because he can actually skate compared to beagle and sutter.

know matter how good beagle and sutter where positionally, they had little threat of scoring on the crack back. this meant that other players that could out hustle these two veterans where just as likely to score than be stopped. why because they can get to the dangerous ice faster than these two.

ever wonder why beagle and sutters shot blocking numbers where so low? it's because they are not fast enough. centers MUST be fast more than any other position. Centers have to create offense and defence otherwise you get the canucks result of being last place 

I like Dickenson. I would like Vancouver to get one more top 6 UFA so Miller can play 3rd line C with Podkolzin. Granlund is the guy for me. He has a ton of skill and can play LW or C. 

Granlund Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Highmore Miller Podkolzin 

Motte Dickenson Lockwood  

MacEwan 

Hughes Hamonic 

Juolevi Myers 

Rathbone Bowey            

Brisebois Rafferty 

Demko 

Dipietro