The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Could it be that you don't know so much about the player as you pretend to be?

If you don't even know about his status as a player, that means you have gaps of knowledge. You also don't seem to be aware that our defensive problems stem from our massive shot against numbers, which Dickinson has traditionally been very good with. Therefore, Benning is addressing this aspect.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/18/tape-traits-jason-dickinson-elite-shot-suppressor-struggles-offence/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Again, you'
ve been proven that you know so little about the player that you're criticizing. Just learn to be quiet when this happens.

Why don’t we just have 2 goalies on the ice? If you think a shot suppresser is the key, let’s just play 2 goalies. 

• RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Wow, I'm really curious to know what you think about Gillis then. :lol: We had next to no prospects to speak of, and yet you're complaining about prospects now? Gillis was the reason we had to even 'fill holes on the fly'.

The usual suspects here are just supporting their friends here, like Convincing John/lmm, but have no intention of discussing anything beyond their own opinions - even when they've been invalidated by other people.

These guys seem to have no understanding of how the NHL works. We're no different than other teams in that we trade middling picks in attempts to get slightly better and shore up deficiencies so we can make an effort to move forward and hopefully have a positive season. Does it work all the time? Of course not. These guys seem to think it's a viable strategy to trade every non star for picks and then suck for 5 years in a row without trading a single pick, and voila your extra second rounder, 2 thirds, and a fourth you traded during that period gives you an instant Cup. If that was the case everyone would do it and win the Cup, but wait there is only one Cup. Hmmm, that's a problem I guess for the guaranteed Cup plan.

Look at TrollyJohn, he's been bitching for 45 pages and has been corrected about 14 times but still doesn't get the contract situation. He's obviously not interested in having a conversation, reading, learning, or being a decent contributor. He's here for only one reason. Just read any post he makes.

• Hydration 2

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure, but he's likely going to be with Podkolzin who looks to be a possession beast in the making. 

I'm hoping Shaw can bring in the needed expertise to make us a much better neutral zone team. That should help. Our team works hard, they deserve better coaching and I think that might have been addressed. 

but isn't changing one assistant the equivalent to bringing in a third line C/W?

I feel both Shaw and Dickinson are being asked to correct problems that are way over their heads

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Wow, I'm really curious to know what you think about Gillis then. :lol: We had next to no prospects to speak of, and yet you're complaining about prospects now? Gillis was the reason we had to even 'fill holes on the fly'.

The usual suspects here are just supporting their friends here, like Convincing John/lmm, but have no intention of discussing anything beyond their own opinions - even when they've been invalidated by other people.

Oh man it was awful under Gillis. And Nonis. And Burkie. That was the whole point of "no matter who the GM is". .

I dunno who this John fella is but I do like his confidence in being convincing. We got the usual suspects out on both sides here, the haters and the cheerleaders. Pick a side, there's gonna be a rumble later. * jazzy finger snaps walking away *

Edited by awalk
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Oh man it was awful under Gillis. And Nonis. And Burkie. That was the whole point of "no matter who the GM is". 

Our prospects have never been better. Complaining about the lack of prospects is laughable at this point. We had it real bad before, but not anymore.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sorry but imho, that is a bad idea that will undermine all progress being made and sacrificed for right now. Mediocre teams employ this tactic and it takes years to turn that around. No thx

Huh? How does that undermine any progess at all? We having our team all signed and having left over cap space is nothing but valuable. I dont think your understanding it.

5 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Why don’t we just have 2 goalies on the ice? If you think a shot suppresser is the key, let’s just play 2 goalies. 

Dickinson shifted around Dallas’ middle-six last season filling in as the team’s 3rd-line center and 2nd-line left winger while putting up impressive underlying defensive numbers. According to Evolving Hockey, Dickinson was in the 97th percentile for defensive value in their model. 

While past statistics are not always the best indicators of future outcomes, the numbers, when combined with video, do show that Dickinson was exceptionally effective at suppressing offence last season. And the fact that Dickinson is still in his athletic prime makes it a good bet that his defensive acumen should continue during his early years with the Vancouver Canucks. 

But for a middle-six center that can play up and down the lineup and on the wing, can kill penalties, and is among the league’s elite at suppressing chances against, Dickinson fills an enormous need in Vancouver’s top-nine. If Green can use a third line led by Dickinson to limit the opposition’s best while also winning the shot attempt battle, that should bode very well for a team with a top-six that can be lethal on the scoresheet.

(Source: https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/18/tape-traits-jason-dickinson-elite-shot-suppressor-struggles-offence/)

But of course, you'll just regurgitate your wrong opinions of Dickinson right? He's 'just' a "one dimensional Ryan Johnson" right? You're so clueless.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Our prospects have never been better. Complaining about the lack of prospects is laughable at this point. We had it real bad before, but not anymore.

Our prospect pool is actually looking fairly thin again. I'd like to see Benning hold on to some more picks. 

• Hydration 2

7 minutes ago, awalk said:

Oh man it was awful under Gillis. And Nonis. And Burkie. That was the whole point of "no matter who the GM is". .

I dunno who this John fella is but I do like his confidence in being convincing.

I'm pretty sure most teams are thin on all or some of picks, prospects, and cap. That's how the NHL is designed. It's a competitive league.

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

but isn't changing one assistant the equivalent to bringing in a third line C/W?

I feel both Shaw and Dickinson are being asked to correct problems that are way over their heads

I think Shaws resume shows he's not a typical assistant. I have high hopes. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm pretty sure most teams are thin on all or some of picks, prospects, and cap. That's how the NHL is designed. It's a competitive league.

Achieving the trifecta of being thin on all three is the real challenge.

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

Does this look like Texas? Cause that’s where I am and have no other games to watch when I’m at work but the Dallas Stars. Trust me when I tell you I’ve watched this guy a lot. 

61ECC6F0-1A5F-4075-950D-F249192471EA.jpeg

I don't care where you live. Location has nothing to do with how much you know, especially when anyone can watch the games, look up the stats, etc.

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Definitely seems like he has the potential to be a major game changer of an assistant coach, which is rare! 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Also we underachieved last year for may reasons. I don’t doubt that. We are a better team on paper then people are lead to believe.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Also we underachieved last year for may reasons. I don’t doubt that. We are a better team on paper then people are lead to believe.

We definitely are and the players will be more motivated than ever to prove it.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Huh? How does that undermine any progess at all? We having our team all signed and having left over cap space is nothing but valuable. I dont think your understanding it.

I do understand and appreciate what your idea is, I just don’t think we need to take on anymore dead weight contracts for draft picks. If it was for IR spots perhaps, but dead weight contracts generally take up roster spots on an active roster and what I think this team really needs to do is keep up its momentum and get some of the younger players some more quality playing time earlier on in their careers. This way we have a far better understanding and analysis of who and what can replace who and what from within going forward.

It’s less costly.

It also enables for less guess work when it comes to drafting in the future…if you have a decent talent pool in the system you can decide between BPA at the draft or picking for positional need, or even just asset accumulation for future trade.

We’re built now for both the short term and 5-6 year future, but it would be unwise to rest on our laurels and take on extra money for picks. Take on extra money for key, dynamic NHL players that will continue to help us make the playoffs and possibly contend. You never know who hits a contract stalemate with their club and becomes available by trade or UFA. 

Based on where we are I’d economize for exactly that every year going forward during the flat cap era, if possible.

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dickinson shifted around Dallas’ middle-six last season filling in as the team’s 3rd-line center and 2nd-line left winger while putting up impressive underlying defensive numbers. According to Evolving Hockey, Dickinson was in the 97th percentile for defensive value in their model. 

While past statistics are not always the best indicators of future outcomes, the numbers, when combined with video, do show that Dickinson was exceptionally effective at suppressing offence last season. And the fact that Dickinson is still in his athletic prime makes it a good bet that his defensive acumen should continue during his early years with the Vancouver Canucks. 

But for a middle-six center that can play up and down the lineup and on the wing, can kill penalties, and is among the league’s elite at suppressing chances against, Dickinson fills an enormous need in Vancouver’s top-nine. If Green can use a third line led by Dickinson to limit the opposition’s best while also winning the shot attempt battle, that should bode very well for a team with a top-six that can be lethal on the scoresheet.

(Source: https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/18/tape-traits-jason-dickinson-elite-shot-suppressor-struggles-offence/)

But of course, you'll just regurgitate your wrong opinions of Dickinson right? He's 'just' a "one dimensional Ryan Johnson" right? You're so clueless.

By all accounts this looks like a solid trade. Dickinson brings a lot more value for the next few seasons than a 3rd round pick. So while I'd like to see Benning draft more, and the lack of picks over the years is having a negative impact, it's hard to argue against this deal and be.... convincing... 

• Haha 4