The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Rumour has it Benning is looking at making a deal with Seattle for them to select Bjugstad and then trade for him.

Pearson Bjugstad Podkolzin

Motte Beagle Dickinson

Bjugstad is 6 foot 6 but only 210 pounds. His body type has partly led him to struggle with injuries over the last 3 years.

He has a had a back injury and spine issues which is scary as a veteran player who is almost 30 with such a highcut frame.

Depending on price he maybe a good middle six option with C/RW versatility as he can handle himself reasonably in the faceoff dot.

Don't think he really plays a heavy game or up to that size though. More of offensive depth piece than a top six piece.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Bjugstad is 6 foot 6 but only 210 pounds. His body type has partly led him to struggle with injuries over the last 3 years.

He has a had a back injury and spine issues which is scary as a veteran player who is almost 30 with such a highcut frame.

Depending on price he maybe a good middle six option with C/RW versatility as he can handle himself reasonably in the faceoff dot.

Don't think he really plays a heavy game or up to that size though. More of offensive depth piece than a top six piece.

He’s a cheap third line option with size. Pretty much all we can afford for the third line.

He can bring more offense to that role which is what we’re looking for. I’m guessing that with better wingers they’re hoping he can get back to the 40 point player he was.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He’s a cheap third line option with size. Pretty much all we can afford for the third line.

He can bring more offense to that role which is what we’re looking for. I’m guessing that with better wingers they’re hoping he can get back to the 40 point player he was.

He seems like a much more realistic target than the Garland types unless there is Schmidt moved out as part of a bigger deal for a true difference making offensive top 6 winger.

Not the most exciting option but unfortunately the Canucks and their tight cap situation means they have to look for value and are priced out from the bigger more well known names.... 

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

He seems like a much more realistic target than the Garland types unless there is Schmidt moved out as part of a bigger deal for a true difference making offensive top 6 winger.

Not the most exciting option but unfortunately the Canucks and their tight cap situation means they have to look for value and are priced out from the bigger more well known names.... 

Well acquiring Bjugstad wouldn’t stop us from getting another top 6 forward. Hes only making 900k so he’s as cheap as any option we’d have there.

To upgrade the top 6 and D we’re gonna have to trade Holtby, buyout Virtanen, and find a way to trade one of Roussel or Beagle.

We may see a Schmidt trade but I don’t know if that really saves us that much cap space because we’d need to replace him with a 5 million dollar d man.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Don't think he really plays a heavy game or up to that size though.

He doesn't which is maddeningly frustrating because he has the physical tools to be a dominant presence down the center of the ice.   When JB said he needed 'heft Bjugstad was not the type of player that first came to my mind. Yeah he's big, but invisible far too often imo.  I hope he isn't JB's target or if he is I certainly hope the price is reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, Nave said:

Bjugstad has had serious problems with injuries the past few seasons. I would rather put Dickinson at 3C, and not getting Bjugstad. 

I think we'll see that while targetting a winger that can play center as well like Granlund as a back up plan. That would give us a lot of flexibility since I remember JB saying that they plan to give Dickie a shot there.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well acquiring Bjugstad wouldn’t stop us from getting another top 6 forward. Hes only making 900k so he’s as cheap as any option we’d have there.

To upgrade the top 6 and D we’re gonna have to trade Holtby, buyout Virtanen, and find a way to trade one of Roussel or Beagle.

We may see a Schmidt trade but I don’t know if that really saves us that much cap space because we’d need to replace him with a 5 million dollar d man.

looking at Joel Edmunson, (as an example) being a defensive defenseman, cost the Habs a 5th and $3.5 M

Schmidt cost a 3rd and $5.9

couldn't Jim find a simalar player to Edmunson, trade Schmidt for an Edmunson like player, save $2.5 M and receive a 2nd as well?

Okay that last bit was a joke, it'd be a 7th 

Edited by lmm

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do we?

Especially if we did manage Larsson to play with Hughes, we could probably move Schmidt and replace him with Hakanpaa or Hamonic at around $2.5-$3m.

I suppose you could view Larsson as Schmidt's 'replacement' there... Still, saves $1m anyway.

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, RWMc1 said:

I found this video of Hedman getting hit, therefore he is not hard to play against.

Most people would agree that this is a ridiculously stupid argument.

well, I found this.

Is this what Dickinson is going to bring?

If so, I'll jump right on his bandwagon

https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/5/9/11637460/victor-hedman-best-defenseman-matt-martin-quotes

• RoughGame 2

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How is this even relevant?

hey Capt, you didn't think to ask that question then?

On 7/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, RWMc1 said:

I found this video of Hedman getting hit, therefore he is not hard to play against.

Most people would agree that this is a ridiculously stupid argument.

Edited by lmm
  • RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think a 2 or 3 year deal at around 2 million per year would be fair enough.

Uh huh JB pulled another one out of a hat, I can bet the haters aren't going to be happy with this move that makes JB look a lot better and them a lot worse, well their idiots so hard to make them look that much worse but whatever

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, johngould21 said:

What?  Travis Green is a heck of a coach. RUSerious???? must be seething.

when have you ever heard anyone "IN HOCKEY" (that excludes internet warriors like you and me) say a coach sucked?

I'll put a dime on never.

I think every hockey media hack, who never gets anything right, at one time or another has said ,"coach X is a good coach"

I think saying , "Coach x is a good coach" is about as relavant as saying, "I give 110%" or "our team is hard to play against"

Seething, ha, theys probably rolling theys eyes

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nave said:

Bjugstad has had serious problems with injuries the past few seasons. I would rather put Dickinson at 3C, and not getting Bjugstad. 

Only makes 900k.

Low risk with high potential. Easily worth the gamble if he only costs a 3rd.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only makes 900k.

Low risk with high potential. Easily worth the gamble if he only costs a 3rd.

I know that it's a cost effective move. Just can't help but remember when there were rumours around us getting him when he was still with Flordia. Feel like that ship has sailed.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

His agent can say whatever he wants, he can have 6 teams after him all he wants but he is a club controlled RFA who has never scored 10 goals in a season and has a career high 22 points and 3rd/4th line minutes… that doesn’t give him a good arbitration case.

He should be somewhere between his current $1.5 million and $2.0 million.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1