The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I can't resist commenting on the fact that you repeatedly see some of the 'usual suspects' in here - having no idea who a player like this is (which pretty clearly indicates how casually they follow the game/NHL in general) - whose numbers are once again primarily 'defensive' player outcomes - at the same time always and endlessly posting/pretending to know how 'bad' this team's bottom six is, how 'overpaid' a few of their veterans are, or how to fix the team's 'problems'.  The ironing.

image.gif.8f9eb29571909163069f44f1a47e8bca.gif

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

image.gif.8f9eb29571909163069f44f1a47e8bca.gif

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no, not really Alfie.   I quite enjoy your unpredictability tbh (and sense of humour).

I was going to post a "Taxi Driver" clip but, language prevents it.

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, Provost said:

I genuinely have no idea who Dickinson is.

Google makes it seem like an OK deal.  Not sure he is a huge upgrade on a guy like Boyd… but maybe worth a shot.  You have to factor in the possible loss of Lind vs. Gadjovich in the mix 

A 3rd round pick isn’t too big a price to be paid for an every day bottom end player.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, Alflives said:

44% face-off guy isn’t exactly elite defensively.  

On 7/17/2021 at 12:27 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

"Dickinson can go unnoticed to casual hockey fans. He’s a fourth-line center — and occasional top-six winger — who is among the team’s best at killing penalties and shutting down top opponents with his speed and smarts. He’s a former first-round pick who has become a reliable everyday player in Dallas, not with his offense but with his responsible defense".

Looks like we found our C for the penalty kill.  Will take a load off of BO as well for defensive matchups.  

We can only dream of the possibility of Dickerson getting back to his career 44.4% face off win average :D

Our penalty killing has sure massively improved this year!

On 7/23/2021 at 11:15 AM, oldnews said:

I can't resist commenting on the fact that you repeatedly see some of the 'usual suspects' in here - having no idea who a player like this is (which pretty clearly indicates how casually they follow the game/NHL in general) - whose numbers are once again primarily 'defensive' player outcomes - at the same time always and endlessly posting/pretending to know how 'bad' this team's bottom six is, how 'overpaid' a few of their veterans are, or how to fix the team's 'problems'.  The ironing.

Ouch, yet another “aged badly” take where this dude makes fun of other posters while showing he doesn’t actually know about hockey aside from cherry picking a couple stats he doesn’t actually understand to make false points.

As it turns out, a team with his elite players Gudbranson, Beagle, Sutter, and Dickerson would not be Stanley Cup calibre... who knew?!!  (well I mean pretty much everyone knew)

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

We can only dream of the possibility of Dickerson getting back to his career 44.4% face off win average :D

Our penalty killing has sure massively improved this year!

Dickinson was great in Dallas.  Nate Schmidt is an all star in Winnipeg.  When players are not around Green they seem to be quite different.  I wonder why?

Might be easier to get a new coach than to keep recycling players every year...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dickinson was great in Dallas.  Nate Schmidt is an all star in Winnipeg.  When players are not around Green they seem to be quite different.  I wonder why?

Might be easier to get a new coach than to keep recycling players every year...

... Dickenson was OK in Dallas as a secondary PKer after Faksa.  Who knew it is easier to play against 2nd unit PP than be relied on to stop guys like McDavid and Draisaitl...

Schmidt was pretty good here too, he and Edler were our steadiest D defensively with the heaviest matchups primarily shorthanded and 5v5.  He has a different supporting cast in Winnipeg and is being used primarily in offensive situations and on the PP so his offensive numbers are obviously better.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

... Dickenson was OK in Dallas as a secondary PKer after Faksa.  Who knew it is easier to play against 2nd unit PP than be relied on to stop guys like McDavid and Draisaitl...

Schmidt was pretty good here too, he and Edler were our steadiest D defensively with the heaviest matchups primarily shorthanded and 5v5.  He has a different supporting cast in Winnipeg and is being used primarily in offensive situations and on the PP so his offensive numbers are obviously better.

Sutter and Motte were supposed to be our #1 PK unit.  It wasn't Benning's fault that both were injured and now Sutter may have to retire.  Dickinson would have been perfect on the 2nd unit PK with us.

I agree with Schmidt.  He has a different supporting cast, but primarily his play is much better because of the way he is being used.  This is the main problem with Vancouver right now.  Guys aren't being used the way they should.  We have lots of great offensive talent that would be perfect in a run and gun system using skill and puck possession.  Instead Green has them playing a dump and chase game, which is the main reason we suck right now and the main reason our players have tuned Green out.

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter and Motte were supposed to be our #1 PK unit.  It wasn't Benning's fault that both were injured and now Sutter may have to retire.  Dickinson would have been perfect on the 2nd unit PK with us.

I agree with Schmidt.  He has a different supporting cast, but primarily his play is much better because of the way he is being used.  This is the main problem with Vancouver right now.  Guys aren't being used the way they should.  We have lots of great offensive talent that would be perfect in a run and gun system using skill and puck possession.  Instead Green has them playing a dump and chase game, which is the main reason we suck right now and the main reason our players have tuned Green out.

You need to play better before casting any stones there Bambi…. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Makes me wish we had the cap space to acquire OEL and also retain one of Edler or Schmidt - our defensive depth would look a whole lot better. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It looked like a fine trade on paper. Dallas fans seemed to be sad to see him go. 

What a massive failure he's been on all fronts. Dude's already a cap dump.

its way too soon for that pronouncement. Lets see what a new coach can do. Otherwise everyone on the team is a cap dump.

Just now, JM_ said:

its way too soon for that pronouncement. Lets see what a new coach can do. Otherwise everyone on the team is a cap dump.

It would take a pretty big turnaround at this point. What makes it worse is that whenever it seems like Green's leash is up, the team ekes out a crappy win that keeps him employed for a little bit longer. 

But if Dickinson can't drastically improve his game in pretty short order, I don't see how any other team would want him. I don't see why we would want him either.

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It would take a pretty big turnaround at this point. What makes it worse is that whenever it seems like Green's leash is up, the team ekes out a crappy win that keeps him employed for a little bit longer. 

But if Dickinson can't drastically improve his game in pretty short order, I don't see how any other team would want him. I don't see why we would want him either.

Dickie has a decent history, a lot of GMs would look at that and past this crap heap of a season here. Its clearly being run badly and its not on the players most of the nights so far. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Dickie has a decent history, a lot of GMs would look at that and past this crap heap of a season here. Its clearly being run badly and its not on the players most of the nights so far. 

Moreso as a winger (in Dallas).  Alot more responsibilities at the center position (reason why JT Miller is so valuable to the team as he can do a decent/passable job at that position even though he's better as a winger).  

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Makes me wish we had the cap space to acquire OEL and also retain one of Edler or Schmidt - our defensive depth would look a whole lot better. 

Yep… I seemed to be one of the only ones who was worried about who was going to play defence for us.

Two years in a row we took our best defensive D away from the team.  First Tanev and Stecher… then Edler and Schmidt.

I am not saying they were all-stars…. But on our team they were the key guys preventing goals.  They needed to be added to and pushed down the lineup to make us better.  A fairly cheap 3rd pairing of Edler-Stecher would look pretty great right about now.  

You can’t put our defensive woes on Green, he just doesn’t have the horses.  (there is plenty of other stuff to blame Green about, they should both be fired).

Benning is paid a lot to be better than random internet people, assembling a winning team is his job.

Maybe the team gels, but we have had that “maybe” not turn out for almost all of 8 seasons now.  Time for some new voices

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Moreso as a winger (in Dallas).  Alot more responsibilities at the center position (reason why JT Miller is so valuable to the team as he can do a decent/passable job at that position even though he's better as a winger).  

thats true, I think the plan was a pair of Dickie-Sutter on the 3rd line. Which probably works out well. 

I'm concerned that Jim is going to do something desperate and we lose even more assets for nothing. 

Is it time for beer yet? 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep… I seemed to be one of the only ones who was worried about who was going to play defence for us.

Two years in a row we took our best defensive D away from the team.  First Tanev and Stecher… then Edler and Schmidt.

I am not saying they were all-stars…. But on our team they were the key guys preventing goals.  They needed to be added to and pushed down the lineup to make us better.  A fairly cheap 3rd pairing of Edler-Stecher would look pretty great right about now.  

You can’t put our defensive woes on Green, he just doesn’t have the horses.  (there is plenty of other stuff to blame Green about, they should both be fired).

Benning is paid a lot to be better than random internet people, assembling a winning team is his job.

Maybe the team gels, but we have had that “maybe” not turn out for almost all of 8 seasons now.  Time for some new voices

Hmmmm, dunno if 5.2m on a bottom pair is that cheap. Neither of them are doing great from what I've seen - Troy's a 7/8th D in Detroit. I liked both but I'm not convinced the 21/22 versions are any better than what we've got, which right now is not a very high bar.