The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:52 PM, Biff Tannen said:

As for Dickinson, I'm willing to give him more time. Team's been bad so far and very little of that is on him. A fit Sutter would take a lo of pressure off JD, but I can't remember the last time we had a fit Sutter TBH

Can't really fault a 37% Face off percentage to systems. Dickenson is just a horrible player that contributes absolutely squat. He makes Sutter look like Patrice Bergeron

Dickinson hasn't been the problem on our team.

Hes not been a liability on the ice and his 5v5 numbers are better than other 3C we have run. 

the issues have been:

FACEOFFS: he's been dreadful in the circle. 

PK: Him and everyone other than Demko so to me that makes me think it is our PK coaching 

Scoring: He hasn't been scoring as much as expected but neither has the majority of our top 9 and he's not hurting us 5v5 on the scoreboard so he gets a pass on this.

Really the only big issue I have with his game is face-offs right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree the biggest letdown with Dickinson so far has been his faceoffs. He has sucked. 

I don't need him to score a lot (god knows we have a bunch of forwards that should be focusing on doing that), just want him to be a solid match up defensive forward. I think with how bad the team has been it is hard to judge him fairly. I would love for him to be a C (since we need one), but if wing is better down the road that's fine. 

I think we'll have a better idea of who he is and how he fits on our team after a season or so. This team needs to figure itself out in so many ways before we need to worry about our bottom 6. 

9 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'm saying it may be too soon to give up on him on the penalty kill just cause he can't take draws. 

Face offs are also something that can absolutely be taught - Manny Malhotra increased our teams face off win percentage with his coaching significantly a few years ago.

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Face offs are also something that can absolutely be taught - Manny Malhotra increased our teams face off win percentage with his coaching significantly a few years ago.

Considering Manny coaches the power play in Toronto, we could use him for something else as well. 

• Sad 1

I already said that this contract looked like a repeat of Roussel/Beagel. 3mil/3 years. Dickinson is an unknown that need to be tried and tested. How do you play a 3C that wins only 42-44% of faceoffs over his whole career lol? To be fair, I also questioned the Garland signing, but Garland looks to be a gem; we also gave up the 9th pick for him so that makes sense.  People/Benning have to understand the other side trading with you is not stupid, they aren't going to give you something for very little.