The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

Just now, ‹(•¿•)› said:

One of our most pressing needs was 3C, and he got a 26 year old elite defensive player with size for a 3rd rounder, what's to complain  about? Not every acquisition is gonna be an elite point producer, doesn't mean it doesn't fill a need.

44% face-off guy isn’t exactly elite defensively.  

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Where are all the JB haters who were judging him / criticizing him before any deals were even made?! Quiet as a church mouse i see! 

Also, can't believe some are complaining about this.....like every player we trade for / every player on the team needs to be a allstar / superstar or else they are s*** or useless. Zero understanding of hockey! 

I don’t see many people complaining? It's just not a sexy move and needs more time flush out.

Doesn't mean it's a good or bad move.

Edited by Chris12345

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He's a decent size and a good skater IIRC. Not a burner but a good skater. Adds a little size and speed to the bottom 6. A former first rounder so I imagine he'd have at least adequate puck skills. I can't say I've watched him a ton these last couple years he's been a full time NHL'er but this seems to upgrade our bottom 6 with a good cap hit ($1.5M)

RFA so his cap is yet to be determined 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I am surprised at how few NHL games he has? Any thoughts there?

Has always played behind Radek Faksa in DAL for the same role.

Here is some analysis/metrics from June when contemplating who DAL was going to leave unprotected.

Good comparison between Faksa and Dickinson there and shows he's on the upswing. Needs more ice time and will hopefully get it here if retained.

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2021/6/14/22526686/analysis-between-radek-faksa-jason-dickinson-who-do-the-dallas-stars-protect-seattle-joe-pavelski

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

doesn't look to be all that much better than Boyd TBH at 26 years old with only career high of 22 points and not a good faceoff guy, never over 50%.

looks like another wasted draft pick. Only the Canucks could trade away more picks than they acquire during a rebuild.

part of me is glad they did something but if your relying on this guy as your 3rd line center, probly going to be disappointed. 

Edited by brian42
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 10

Great trade, but we'll have to protect him now. Big, strong center who plays great defence. This is most likely a Beagle replacement but he could easily slot into our future 3C role as well.

3rd round pick is relatively cheap considering he's only 26 and may easily play with us for years ahead.

One little deal that JB had to do, props to him for getting us on the right direction again.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Seems kind of vanilla on the surface but people are saying he’s a pretty effective defensive forward.

More of a traditional 3C / bottom 6 type helps us though. Hope he signs a reasonable deal.

Think Sutter but can actually make a pass. Not as good at faceoffs though.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

One of our most pressing needs was 3C, and he got a 26 year old elite defensive player with size for a 3rd rounder, what's to complain  about? Not every acquisition is gonna be an elite point producer, doesn't mean it doesn't fill a need.

Is he elite? If he is that's awesome. How elite? Selke potential ?

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

doesn't look to be all that much better than Boyd TBH at 26 years old with only career high of 22 points and not a good faceoff guy, never over 50%.

looks like another wasted draft pick. on the Canucks could trade away more picks than they acquire during a rebuild.

part of me is glad they did something but if your relying on this guy as your 3rd line center, probly going to be disappointed. 

Talking out of your azzz!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2