The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Nolan Patrick to Golden Knights for Cody Glass

On 7/17/2021 at 3:29 PM, Me_ said:

So we could’ve gotten Patrick for Virtanen then.

Perhaps there would’ve been a salary issue.

Nonetheless, Cegas just moved up the 2017 draft.

F19F8FD7-3710-48C6-8FEA-45E9DD11AF38.jpeg

Wow!  Three great players at 3,4,5 and then really it’s a bunch of craperolla.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/17/2021 at 9:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Vegas loses this one IMO. I don't see Patrick ever fully recovering from his perma-injured status.

Two much stock is put on ‘winning’ and losing trades rather than looking at what the likely objectives are.

For Vegas they have given up on Glass so they get something back, if that amounts to nothing then they don’t particularly care.

For Nashville they will have one eye over their shoulder for the Webber recapture so getting in a young cheap RHD has shown he could be a stud is a plus. 

For the flyers they get to move a young player who they hoped would be a stud right now to help them but may need a few more seasons to fully get there, and also get rid of a project in Patrick. They also get back a proven player.

also Glass is draft exempt Patrick isn’t, so in this way all teams get something and Seattle gets none of the pie.

this isn’t a zero sum for those teams it’s a reshuffle and meeting criteria for all. 

• Cheers 3

On 7/17/2021 at 12:54 PM, RWMc1 said:

Actually Trevor Linden debunked this idiotically stupid narrative.

He said that by the time Pettersson was brought to their attention that all of the scouting staff were on board with the pick and not just Brackett. All Brackett did was agree with all the other scouts. He was not the driving force behind the pick. Bracket as the mastermind behind the pick is a narrative for weak-minded morons.

Do you have a source for this?

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Do you have a source for this?

A reporter asked him about that when it was a talking point for the media. I can't seem to find the article though.

I'm not a poster that is prone to making stuff up.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Patel Bure said:

Except this didn't happen.   It was completely fabricated by Thomas Drance, and a bunch of other media members who had too much time on their hands.

Benning was high on Pettersson from much earlier in the season due to Gradin's, Delorme's, and many other scouts having watched Petey right from the start (https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-province/20190127/281505047439906).  Benning was also sold on Pettersson although his size and strength was a bit of a  concern for Benning.   

At no point whatsoever, did Benning ever say or imply that he wanted Glass over Pettersson.   

If anything, Benning wanted to move up so that they could select Cale Makar whom Benning was extremely high on.  I believe that this may have been the point at which the scouts convinced Benning to proceed forward with EP and in which Linden may have also expressed his opinion to Benning to trust the scouts.

More evidence refuting the narrative.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

A reporter asked him about that when it was a talking point for the media. I can't seem to find the article though.

I'm not a poster that is prone to making stuff up.

I believe you

It would just be nice to have info that debunks the debate once and for all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Lots of fans just hate on Benning. I have criticized him as well in the past for his UFA signings in particular. But his drafting has probably been the best this franchise has ever had. And that’s saying something because the drafting of this franchise has been deplorable for the most part. 

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

More evidence to support that Benning preferred Pettersson over Glass, and that if anything, they may have gone with one of the elite defensemen (Makar or Heiskanen) had either guy dropped to five (which Benning knew was extremely unlikely anyways).

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/draft-notebook-if-makar-was-available-canucks-could-have-been-sweating

I must have shown this link and argued this a THOUSAND times on that %$%W%W$ site known as HF Canucks, and they all stuck to their unalterable narrative that, "Benning wanted Glass over Pettersson and that Linden had to basically overrule Benning in order for the Canucks to select Pettersson."

Basically - HF Canucks badly wants that to be true (to the point where they'll promote a lie) due to their collective disdain of Benning.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, N4ZZY said:

And that’s saying something because the drafting of this franchise has been deplorable for the most part. 

Not trying but trying to be the grammar police, but wouldn't it be "That's not saying much, because the drafting of this franchise has been deplorable...?"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Not trying but trying to be the grammar police, but wouldn't it be "That's not saying much, because the drafting of this franchise has been deplorable...?"

Yes. You are correct, sir/ma’am. 

• Upvote 1