The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Dickinson | #18 | C

-AJ-

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Where would that place him on the Canucks last season at 46.3 percent?

Among all Canucks who took at least 50 faceoffs last year, he would've been 6th place out of nine players, all centres (including Miller). He was above Gaudette (43.5%), Pettersson (45.0%), and Graovac (45.7%), while being 6th behind Boyd, who was at 51.1%, a huge jump over those bottom three (four if you were to include DIckinson).

Worthy of note--after looking at this, I realized that Sutter had a huge return to form in the dot with a 55.5% rate last year, which was second behind only Beagle. Hope he keeps that up again.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:44 AM, N4ZZY said:

Dickinson will be the third line centre. There's no way he's on the fourth line. Doesn't make sense. He's their third line guy. 

Our top nine looks really good. 

It's the defense that has me a tad concerned. 

Hopefully Dickinson’s attitude is contagious because a focus on team defence and being hard to play against will make our defensemen look a whole lot better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/17/2021 at 4:22 AM, laddie said:

Hopefully Dickinson’s attitude is contagious because a focus on team defence and being hard to play against will make our defensemen look a whole lot better.

Yea, that's true. Might also give management a false sense that their defense is better than it actually is as well. Let's hope Benning is smarter than that. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea, that's true. Might also give management a false sense that their defense is better than it actually is as well. Let's hope Benning is smarter than that. 

Last time I checked, hockey is played as a six man unit.  Especially when it comes to defending.  This angst about the defencemen being the Achilles Heal of the team is so badly misplaced. 

Pin this thread...the Canucks will be one of the top 10 goal differential and top 10 defensive teams in the NHL this season. Call it the Brad Shaw factor or whatever you want.  The top 8 d-men on the Canucks will be just fine in the defensive, neutral and offensive zones of the ice.

18 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Last time I checked, hockey is played as a six man unit.  Especially when it comes to defending.  This angst about the defencemen being the Achilles Heal of the team is so badly misplaced. 

Pin this thread...the Canucks will be one of the top 10 goal differential and top 10 defensive teams in the NHL this season. Call it the Brad Shaw factor or whatever you want.  The top 8 d-men on the Canucks will be just fine in the defensive, neutral and offensive zones of the ice.

I'm not sure why we've been such a porus defensive team. It's not like the names on our blueline have been that bad the last couple of years. I do hope Shaw will help, along with the personnel mix. 

I think one of the biggest keys to helping the team defensively will simply be holding possession. With guys like Podz, Hogs, and Garland and Dickinson, the team should improve this aspect. If we combine that with a resurgent year from Huggy and continued development of our core, I wouldn't be surprised to see your prediction ring true.

And let's hope it does. Relying on the goalie to carry the team game in and game out has grown oh so old.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not sure why we've been such a porus defensive team. It's not like the names on our blueline have been that bad the last couple of years. I do hope Shaw will help, along with the personnel mix. 

I think one of the biggest keys to helping the team defensively will simply be holding possession. With guys like Podz, Hogs, and Garland and Dickinson, the team should improve this aspect. If we combine that with a resurgent year from Huggy and continued development of our core, I wouldn't be surprised to see your prediction ring true.

And let's hope it does. Relying on the goalie to carry the team game in and game out has grown oh so old.

Nolan is still in charge of the blueline to my knowledge unfortunately.  We have no strong defensive center on the team (Sutter was but his body has been worn down).  Horvat isn't a liability defensively but I wouldn't call him a Selke candidate by any means.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nolan is still in charge of the blueline to my knowledge unfortunately.  We have no strong defensive center on the team (Sutter was but his body has been worn down).  Horvat isn't a liability defensively but I wouldn't call him a Selke candidate by any means.

He is, but I'm not sure it was purely our d players not doing their job. To me, it looked like the whole team didn't play with a defensive structure and I'm hoping he can help there.

Dickinson was brought in for the tough defensive matchups. How he does with that remains to be seen, but put guys like Podz and/or Hogs on his line, and I truly can see it happening....

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He is, but I'm not sure it was purely our d players not doing their job. To me, it looked like the whole team didn't play with a defensive structure and I'm hoping he can help there.

Dickinson was brought in for the tough defensive matchups. How he does with that remains to be seen, but put guys like Podz and/or Hogs on his line, and I truly can see it happening....

Dickinson was used more as a winger than a center on his previous team so his acquisition helps us out on the wings but not (imho) as the "checking center".  He's not that great faceoffs either.  Imho, Horvat will continue get assigned that thankless duty.  Green doesn't strike me as a kind of guy that would use a winger converted to center along with a rookie & a sophmore to handle the tough defensive assignments.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dickinson was used more as a winger than a center on his previous team so his acquisition helps us out on the wings but not (imho) as the "checking center".  He's not that great faceoffs either.  Imho, Horvat will continue get assigned that thankless duty.  

My guess is that despite his below average faceoffs that we will still use him as the shutdown center for the 3rd line, with Bo's line released of *some* defensive duties, but kinda playing more of a mix rather than being put against the top competition.

We shall see.

I still feel that as the season progresses we will find that we miss a Tanev-type true shutdown guy on D. If I look at our lineup as a whole, that's honestly the only thing I still see lacking.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

My guess is that despite his below average faceoffs that we will still use him as the shutdown center for the 3rd line, with Bo's line released of *some* defensive duties, but kinda playing more of a mix rather than being put against the top competition.

We shall see.

I still feel that as the season progresses we will find that we miss a Tanev-type true shutdown guy on D. If I look at our lineup as a whole, that's honestly the only thing I still see lacking.

I will say that because he was used much more as a winger on his previous team, he didn't get THAT many faceoffs.  A small size can often result in numbers that can be skewed unfairly as a result.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yeah, I know that defense is played as a six man unit. But it helps that you have quality, and the more high end defenseman, the better the six man unit will play. Better players begets better overall team play. I agree with you in that Brad Shaw will have a great effect on the team. I'm looking forward to his effect on the ice, as well as on Green's coaching as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing more of Dickinson once the regular season begins. 

We needed so badly a third line centreman - Gaudette obviously didn't work out there. Sutter was eh. Hoping Dickinson will be very good for us in that position. If he can alleviate some pressure off of Bo, I think Horvat's offensive game could really take off this season, especially with more stable and offensively consistent players on his wings. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

BLM in the US isn't even supported by many people of color. Most of the time it is a bunch of whiny middle aged white people screaming about things they don't know anything about.

But anyway, I hope Dickinson does his job and plays some serious defense this year.

I'm from the U.S. not sure where you got that information on BLM there... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Not impressed by him at all, but i could understand he is in pre season mode without fighting for a spot.
I just don't like his lack of hustle, he seems passive. 

and please, you are a hockey player, not a woke activist. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Not impressed by him at all, but i could understand he is in pre season mode without fighting for a spot.
I just don't like his lack of hustle, he seems passive. 

and please, you are a hockey player, not a woke activist. 

People can be both. It’s not like being sensitive to important social issues makes him an AHLer.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, Canuck Luck said:

BLM in the US isn't even supported by many people of color. Most of the time it is a bunch of whiny middle aged white people screaming about things they don't know anything about.

But anyway, I hope Dickinson does his job and plays some serious defense this year.

I live in the US and have found the opposite to be true in regards to BLM.