The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Dickinson | #18 | C

-AJ-

On 11/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, Dazzle said:

Uh, no.

Gaudette had crap faceoffs, but not only was he scoring, he was not a good penalty killer. While I don't think Dickenson has shown off his worth, it's clear that Gaudette is not even worth much to Chicago because of his one-dimensional game.

So you think Dickinson is any better? Dick has been trash ever since he got here and has done nothing. Oh by the way, Gaudette is paid like what, a 1/3 of what the Canucks are paying Dickinson. Gaudette had at least some upside to get to where he was in his first full season here. I'll take a one dimensional game from Gaudette other than a ZERO from Dickinson who sucks at both ends of the ice. Bonus! hes here for TWO MORE SEASONS

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Dickinson has definitely not been playing well but I do think he can still be a useful player.  Optically, Dickinson's play looks worse when compared with how Garland and OEL have played, but right now it just feels like the whole team is struggling immensely.

There were always questions about whether Dickinson could in fact be a legitimate defensive C with some of that attributed to his low FO numbers over his career.  He also has a track record of playing wing a lot during his time with Dallas.  So far it's looking like this experiment is not working.

The problem for the Canucks is that their C depth is absolutely terrible.  Not having Sutter available just emphasized that lack of C depth.  I'm including Pettersson in this as well.  I think there should be some question about whether Pettersson is an elite C.  I think Petterson has done enough to show that he has elite skills as a forward, but he is not playing C well.  He'll either need to mature into a C or continue on as an elite W IMHO.

It feels like there might be a similar issue with Dickinson - he may be a more effective winger than C.

Ive despised Brandon Sutter ever since he got here, but damn would I rather have him or Beagle over Dickenson. Sutter looks like a Selke candidate in comparison to Dickenson

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

So you think Dickinson is any better? Dick has been trash ever since he got here and has done nothing. Oh by the way, Gaudette is paid like what, a 1/3 of what the Canucks are paying Dickinson. Gaudette had at least some upside to get to where he was in his first full season here. I'll take a one dimensional game from Gaudette other than a ZERO from Dickinson who sucks at both ends of the ice. Bonus! hes here for TWO MORE SEASONS

Dickinson would look much better on wing.  Much like how awful Gaudette looked when forced to take the role of a checking center.  Don’t force players into responsibilities they’re not good at.  Put them into positions where they can succeed.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Ive despised Brandon Sutter ever since he got here, but damn would I rather have him or Beagle over Dickenson. Sutter looks like a Selke candidate in comparison to Dickenson

Good thing you used common sense and waited to judge Dickenson on 15 games played.  :lol: New team...no systems.

If we used your method to judge players, like you are doing with Dickenson, almost every player on this team is worse than Sutter excluding Miller, Garland, and Demko.:lol:

Maybe wait a little while longer to see how Dickenson plays when the whole team doesn't stink out the arena every night. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Canuck Luck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

Maybe wait a little while longer to see how Dickenson plays when the whole team doesn't stink out the arena every night. Just a suggestion.

While a reasonable statement, I should point out that there are others also new to the team that are performing just fine.

Based on individual plays, I would agree with him that so far, Dickenson has not been very good.

• Cheers 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, kloubek said:

While a reasonable statement, I should point out that there are others also new to the team that are performing just fine.

Based on individual plays, I would agree with him that so far, Dickenson has not been very good.

He's been slowly getting better now, but that's not why I'm responding here.

I think overall, it shouldn't matter what others are doing. Everyone is different and to expect one player to react to a new system like another player is kind of unfair. Perhaps you weren't intending on your statement sounding like that, but I personally don't like comparing one player to another in that manner.

Look at Schmidt last year, it took him all season but he seemed to be alright near the end if I remember correctly. (Which is ironically still comparing players but... yeah... hopefully you get my point lol)

Edited by The Lock

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

He's been slowly getting better now, but that's not why I'm responding here.

I think overall, it shouldn't matter what others are doing. Everyone is different and to expect one player to react to a new system like another player is kind of unfair. Perhaps you weren't intending on your statement sounding like that, but I personally don't like comparing one player to another in that manner.

Look at Schmidt last year, it took him all season but he seemed to be alright near the end if I remember correctly. (Which is ironically still comparing players but... yeah... hopefully you get my point lol)

I do get your point. Yes, everyone is different. But I was responding to the suggestion that he's not his fault because it's a new system, new team, new coach. Fact is, other players are performing just fine under the same set of circumstances so I don't think that can really be used as an excuse. Instead, it's more the player's difficulty or inability to tweak his game to match his new scenario appropriately.

As it turns out, after posting that I did a deeper dive into his performance and found that although he doesn't look great by my eye test, he's actually still good as suppressing the opposition 5 on 5. Reason it's hard to see this is because our PK has been so very awful, so his stats don't reflect this ability. And when he isn't contributing offensively.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 2:25 AM, filthycanuck said:

Dickinson has been absolutely worthless, we might have even been better with Jay Beagle. Say what you want but he did his job as best he could, 4th line center, decent in the PK and very good in faceoffs. Dickinson is not a 2 way player, hes a zero way player, he sucks at both ends of the ice. Seriously, 37% FO for a guy brought in here to help the PK which is league worst by a country mile. And to think, hes here for TWO MORE YEARS

So who are the analytics gurus on here ? This was an analytics signing. So blame them. He would have never been signed using the eye ball test. He is young and will probably improve a bit. So you don't have to get too excited about 2 years. Plus he can be traded in the 1st 2 years.

J-Dick must be a part of the problem PK wise.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

Since mean Travis Green got sacked, "Dicky" has been showing more effort and hustle getting to pucks and getting involved in battles.

He has decent size and has been starting to actually throw hits when he gets an opportunity instead of shying away and losing board battles.

Still not a good C option due his being as bad as EP40 at faceoffs.. He is ok as a third line wing though on a checking type matchup line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

His lackluster backcheck on McDavid last night cost us the game. The fact he didn't even try to tie McDavid's stick up or take the body and simply coasted towards him as the puck was coming across the crease was such an absolute $&!# play.

Hoping Allvin can "convince" another team to take him off our hands. Guy has been a total bust  as a Canuck!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

His lackluster backcheck on McDavid last night cost us the game. The fact he didn't even try to tie McDavid's stick up or take the body and simply coasted towards him as the puck was coming across the crease was such an absolute $&!# play.

Hoping Allvin can "convince" another team to take him off our hands. Guy has been a total bust  as a Canuck!!

My question is what was Dixy doing out there during OT?  Bruce...that's not it!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Exactly!  Don’t care if we get only a late round pick.  Just dump this friggin’ guy and his cap.  He’s another useless piece of craperolla like Schmidt.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Don’t care if we get only a late round pick.  Just dump this friggin’ guy and his cap.  He’s another useless piece of craperolla like Schmidt.  

More like we would have to add to move him. A buy out would only cost the following cap hit over 4 years. Might be a better option:

image.png.920518d37481f41b6e8640d566380cea.png

No please no more buyouts at the moment. 

I'm fine with moving him, but if no one wants him at the moment without us giving more up then I would rather we wait and let him continue to play in the bottom 6 as the team gets reshaped. Maybe he'll improve on his play and get back to what he was in Dallas and then we can move him if need be. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

No please no more buyouts at the moment. 

I'm fine with moving him, but if no one wants him at the moment without us giving more up then I would rather we wait and let him continue to play in the bottom 6 as the team gets reshaped. Maybe he'll improve on his play and get back to what he was in Dallas and then we can move him if need be. 

I wouldn't say he has negative value that would merit a buyout anyway. He's at least worth a 6th or 7th round pick, given his contract, to the right buyer at the deadline I'd think.

• Cheers 1