The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Carey Price waives NMC for expansion draft

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So I guess that means Seattle won't be taking Holtby then?

On the plus side, maybe that puts Montreal in the market for him.

More likely it puts Montreal in the market for one of Fleury / Lehner if Price gets taken 

Much as I’d like to see Seattle claim Price, I sort of hope they don’t, because it probably lowers the chance of them also taking Holtby.

Unless they think they can flip Holtby for picks, which is definitely possible. But that’s a lot of money to tie up in goaltending, even if they’re betting they can make some moves.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

7 minutes ago, Bieksallent_Canuck said:

They cant. He only waived for the expansion draft. NMC goes with him if he gets picked

Screenshot_20210717-175107_Twitter.jpg

Sounds like Montreal planned to do this all along. That signing bonus is a tip off. That's a big "I dare you".

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jake Allen. Does Montreal really need him? 

They actually do.  Much of Prices struggles in recent years can be tied directly to the fact that they did t have a worthy backup tender. They had to ride him to the point of exhaustion and injury. Having a backup of Allen’s ilk at this point is really important to keeping Price fresh 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

They actually do.  Much of Prices struggles in recent years can be tied directly to the fact that they did t have a worthy backup tender. They had to ride him to the point of exhaustion and injury. Having a backup of Allen’s ilk at this point is really important to keeping Price fresh 

I was just waiting to do that because Burrows coaches Montreal. :)

Just now, rekker said:

I really doubt Seattle touches that contract. But who knows, he's a goalie, he's real good. I just don't see it. Not with five years remaining. 

They've got the ownership with the financial resources to pay for that contract.  Now whether they want to spend it for him is another matter.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I really doubt Seattle touches that contract. But who knows, he's a goalie, he's real good. I just don't see it. Not with five years remaining. 

He is from the West Coast?

But, that's a helluva cost just to spite Montreal. 

Unless they carry a MASSIVE grudge against 1919. 

(I could have punned twice, I could have that's a helluva Price, And Carey a massive grudge)

Ok, I'll skulk away now. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seattle’s ownership has very deep pockets. I’m not sure that price tag will scare them away. 

Getting Price would give them a huge player to market right off the bat. And I bet he can perform for most of the contract.

Montreal might get away with it but they also may have just made a very costly error.

Agree 100%.

Vegas got off to a great start by picking a HOF goalie. Seattle now has the chance to do the same.

If I'm Seattle, I pick Price to make statement to the fans that we are going to compete for the playoffs and the cup right off the bat, i.e., do what Vegas did.

IMO, this is a big mistake on Montreal's part.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He is from the West Coast?

But, that's a helluva cost just to spite Montreal. 

Unless they carry a MASSIVE grudge against 1919. 

(I could have punned twice, I could have that's a helluva Price, And Carey a massive grudge)

Ok, I'll skulk away now. 

If they take him it’s because they believe he’ll be worth it for the full 5 years.  His contract is buyout proof and not the front loaded kind of contract he’ll just walk away from. Having his NMC intact means Price still has all the power 

Wow, I’m impressed with price.  Team first.   Wish luongo thought of that before retiring.  

or perhaps he knows Seattle won’t touch him and his $10mill contract.   It’s a risk, but still.   Nice touch on his character !  Class act 

• Cheers 1