The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Carey Price waives NMC for expansion draft

1 minute ago, babalu said:

I think Seattle may take price.

He just carried Montreal to the finals.

High cap hit for 5 more years but solid goaltending is important.

Montreal may regret this.

Or they may not.  Let’s see what happens Wednesday 

Man, it's going to be tough to be in Ron Francis's shoes right now. Carey Price is a name goalie, he played junior in Washington state (Tri City Americans), and he just took the Canadiens to the Stanley Cup finals.

Downside is that his contract could be an albatross in a few years time.

I can see why there's been all the Holtby talk. With Allen being protected, Holtby as the 1A or 1B to Chris Drieger makes a ton of sense for the Kraken and I can see them taking Holtby in the event that either A) A Canadiens side deal has been made to protect Price or B] They opt against picking Price because of his contract. Holtby as a 1 year rental backup isn't a bad choice and would actually help the Canucks a ton with opening up Cap Space... only question there is -- who becomes Vancouver's backup and what's the over/under that it's James Reimer?!??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

5 more seasons at $10.5m AAV.  with his actual salary $13m this coming season.  Actual salary drops to $7.7, $8.5,$7.5,$7.5 over the last 4 seasons 

Not that Price needs the money, but he stands to earn a lot more money then staying in MTL.   His taxes would go from 54 to 36%.  

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not that Price needs the money, but he stands to earn a lot more money then staying in MTL.   His taxes would go from 54 to 36%.  

Price has already waived his NMC for the ED. So that’s not really a consideration at this point.  It’s up to Seattle whether they’re prepared to take on a 34 year old goalie with 5 years left at $10.5m AAV with a NMC and a buyout proof structure 

Edited by qwijibo

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

Mostly bewilderment. They think they are rebuilding if he goes.

I don’t think it’s nearly that bad.  If he stays then they’ve managed to preserve their goaltending tandem. If he goes they’re out from underneath an onerous contract abs have an additional $10.5m cap space 

31 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Only way he isn’t GM this season. Is if he walks away. His team just went to the finals 

a dispassionate view of that includes a lot of good luck for that to happen. 

Bergevin is outdoing his usual arrogance on this move.

Whats more interesting is Price willing to go, now that speaks volumes. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

I don’t think it’s nearly that bad.  If he stays then they’ve managed to preserve their goaltending tandem. If he goes they’re out from underneath an onerous contract abs have an additional $10.5m cap space 

They're also losing Weber, Danault, Armia and Tatar.

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

Mostly bewilderment. They think they are rebuilding if he goes.

They might as well be.

Not that UFAs looked at Montreal as a contender before, but they definitely don’t if this happens. 

They can give up Suzuki and 1st round picks for Eichel, or throw 9 mil at Ovi if they think that will work. That still doesn’t make them good enough though.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Cap space is only good if you can sign players with it. No players that want to sign with a contender will likely sign there. 

They can throw a bunch of money around but all that does is create more future cap problems.

They owed it to that team to give them one more shot together to prove it wasn’t a fluke. If Price is gone they’re not a playoff team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

And what exactly are they going to do with that cap space?  With Weber and Price gone they are a lottery team. Good luck trying to get a UFA to sign there. 

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

They're also losing Weber, Danault, Armia and Tatar.

Danault and Armia may still be ready-signed.  Tatar was a healthy scratch all the way through the playoffs.  His time in Montreal was done. That just opens up more cap space 

Price is 33 and will be 38 when his contract expires.

If I'm Seattle I take him and don't look back.

The guy is an outstanding athlete, a freak of nature who by taking you can turn around and either play or turn around and extort Montreal for lots and lots of goodies if they want him back.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Fair enough. I think if Seattle lands Price your hatred for Seattle will grow bigger than that for Montreal!

nah, I really like Seattle, we go a couple of times per year. (pre-pandemic). They will be my #2 team. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Cap space is only good if you can sign players with it. No players that want to sign with a contender will likely sign there. 

They can throw a bunch of money around but all that does is create more future cap problems.

They owed it to that team to give them one more shot together to prove it wasn’t a fluke. If Price is gone they’re not a playoff team.

So if they lose Price then go out and help Vegas with their cap issues by taking on Fleury for cheap are they really much worse?  Cap space gives them trade options as much as it does UFA options.  

• Cheers 1