The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Carey Price waives NMC for expansion draft

Have to say didn’t see that one coming!

if I were Seattle I probably pick Price.

Yes he is overpaid and a high cap hit, but if the approach they take is a younger corps and build to a cup the extra space isn’t needed right now and having Price gives them a chance to win even while building up to be a long term competitor. 

I’m guessing this scuppers the Holtby option from us, unless they take him to flip 

Edited by UKNuck96

9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Very similar to when Vegas took MAF 

Yeah but didn't PIT want Vegas to take him? I feel like the Habs are playing a very dangerous game here.

Or maybe they realize they would rather get rid of Price's cap hit 

13 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would .. Seattle will need to attract fans to the games and you so that with big names like Carey Price 

They sold out in minutes, with 20,000 on their waitlist.  People are paying $350 to watch their preseason game in Everette.  Attracting fans to the games won't be an issue for the next few years.  

Take Price. 

Edited by BCNeil

2 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

They sold out in minutes, with 20,000 on their waitlist.  People are people $350 to watch their preseason game in Everette.  Attracting fans to the games won't be an issue for the next few years.  

Take Price. 

I wonder how many Kraken Price jerseys you will see if this goes down.

Marketing value will be huge.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Seattle has got to take him. And for MTL it's probably the best thing with Price going to Seattle and Webber going on LTIRment they would have enough money to offersheet both Pete and Quinn. 

Well QH cannot be offersheeted for a start and even if he could you can only offer sheet for picks you have so they couldn’t do both. 

if they want to go aggressive and offer sheet  it’s likely they offer sheet Makar 

MTL has a boatload of picks for this years draft, they may already have a deal in place with the Kraken.  Although you'd think if there was a deal in place, it wouldnt matter who was exposed.  Maybe they wanted to troll the media a bit, given they werent given a chance in any of their series.

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

Montreal has enough of their own 1 rounders to make an offer sheet, I've heard and seen nothing saying they would do it.

Yea they could offer sheet one (cannot offer sheet QH) but even if they could offer sheet both they couldn’t do both at the same time. 

of they are going to offer sheet it’s more likely they look at Makar than EP

• Upvote 1

I think Seattle would be dumb to take Price. 10M for an ageing Price who, yes, had a fantastic playoffs, but the last 2 years has been playing .500 hockey with a pretty average GAA and his save % last season was 0.901.

They'd be much wiser to do what Vegas did - take 2 relatively decent backups and run them like MAF and Lehner and see who comes out on top. That 10M could go straight to Landeskog who would make much more of a difference long-term than an old Price who isn't going to be playing decent hockey much longer.

Take Holtby and Halak, nab Landeskog, Domi and Tarasenko, build your team around them. Zucker fron Pittsburgh would be nice too but they need to spend on defence without many decent options out there. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Seattle taking Price would make them instant contenders like when Vegas got Fleury.

It’s annoying how these new expansion teams can get so stacked right off the hop. 

Doesn’t bother me, means more likely to be successful and create a strong identify with the team. Would much rather that than have another team a net receiver of the profit share. Don’t want more Arizona’s, Atlanta’s etc and don’t want teams bouncing around until they find a home, it’s not a good look for the league.

Do I want Seattle to fail nope, will I support them nope, I want the Canucks to beat them on every occasion but I also want their to be meaning, don’t want a team to just be whipping boys when they enter.

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They've got the ownership with the financial resources to pay for that contract.  Now whether they want to spend it for him is another matter.  

Actually, the more I read on this, the more I'm changing my opinion on it. Price may well be a Kraken soon. Weird.

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm thinking Bergevin wasn't awake when they chose not to protect Price.  He may not wake up until Wednesday afternoon...

the only thing that makes sense to me is Montreal has some kind of expensive side deal in place with Seattle. Otherwise this is a terrible move. 

• Upvote 1