The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Something around Podkolzin and Dahlin

[proposal] Something around Podkolzin and Dahlin

While I don’t want to be a discriminatory prick here, if there’s one thing that being a Canucks fan has taught me over the years, it’s that....

1) Russian Canucks usually end up breaking our hearts at some point whether it’s Krutov’s new found love of twinkies, Bure wanting to escape the fishbowl of Vancouver, Mogilny not caring after 1996, Koltsov and Chubarov saying adios, or Tryamkin coming for one year, farting, and then heading back home.  

2) Swedish Canucks are usually consistently solid even if we end up wishing that we’d seen more from them when it mattered most (Sedins, Naslund, Edler, Samuelson, etc.).

Getting away from the nationality generalizations however, I think we can all agree that....

1) Defensemen are more important than wingers

2) The Canucks’ biggest short term and long term organizational need is an Edler replacement 

So - why would Buffalo possibly consider this?

1) They will draft Owen Power and so they will likely already have a franchise defenseman

2) With Cozens up front, they’ll need a solid winger for him to play with (I’m assuming that Eichel and Reinhart are as good as gone)

3) Culture Change.  Dahlin has been a part of the toxic losing culture in Buffalo and so perhaps both sides could use a clean split.  Both parties get a reset while Buffalo builds around Cozens, Power, and Podkolzin.

Why does Vancouver do this?

1) We’ve had a bad history with Russian players and the heart can only take so much?  I’m kidding.....but not really.

2) Long term Edler replacement.   If Brad Shaw can work his wonders and turn Dahlin’s pumpkins into a lovely evening gown, then we’ll not only have a grown man resembling Cinderella, but we’ll also have a man that will likely live up to his enormous potential (sorry it’s the beer talking.....but this is meant to be a compliment).  But really - Dahlin at full potential blows Hughes, Heiskanen, and even Cale Makar out of the waters.  It was not too long ago that Dahlin was being hailed as the “Connor McDavid of defensemen.”  If we could bring in Dahlin and Shaw could work his magic, then we could have the makings of one of the best young defensive cores for years to come.

I honestly don’t know what Buffalo’s asking price would be for Dahlin (Podkolzin+???) or maybe even Owen Power if the Sabres were committed to Dahlin (maybe, Podz + 9OA?), but I’d strongly consider it.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

No podz? Eww shame!! 

image.gif.d76937df1f6120dca804e263b042aa49.gif

Yes, no Podz, but can you imagine......

Dahlin-xxx

Hughes-xxx

Rathbone-xxx 

Leading our defense core for years to come?   And just remember - both Dahlin and Hughes can play the right side as well just in case we wanted to promote Rathbone while keeping Juolevi.

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Yes, no Podz, but can you imagine......

Dahlin-xxx

Hughes-xxx

Rathbone-xxx 

Leading our defense core for years to come?   And just remember - both Dahlin and Hughes can play the right side as well just in case we wanted to promote Rathbone while keeping Juolevi.

No i cant imagine losing podz when we have 20 mill opening up next season to get a star Dman without giving up a star player on his ELC

• Like 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Pod will be a puck-Gawd! Don't be messin' w/this.

Yes, but can you imagine Brad Shaw turning Rasmus Dahlin back into the franchise defensive talent that he was originally slated to be?  Or what if Podz and ??? Landed you Owen Power?   

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

No i cant imagine losing podz when we have 20 mill opening up next season to get a star Dman without giving up a star player on his ELC

You could say the same thing going the other way right?   (I.e. Podz for Dahlin or Owen Power, and then going hard after a top 6 forward in UFA next season.......while having two of the games’ best defensemen for the next 10+ years in Hughes/Dahlin or Hughes/Power)

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You could say the same thing going the other way right?   (I.e. Podz for Dahlin or Owen Power, and then going hard after a top 6 forward in UFA next season.......while having two of the games’ best defensemen for the next 10+ years in Hughes/Dahlin or Hughes/Power)

image.gif.284d8a97fcde1bd7018a73eff2bb8c50.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

image.gif.284d8a97fcde1bd7018a73eff2bb8c50.gif

Just imagine one of Powers or a Shaw-influenced Dahlin taking on all of the toughest defensive match-ups while Hughes, with protected deployment and a solid and steady partner, anchors a second pairing and absolutely lights it up like it was 2019-2020 all over again.  

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Just imagine one of Powers or a Shaw-influenced Dahlin taking on all of the toughest defensive match-ups while Hughes, with protected deployment and a solid and steady partner, anchors a second pairing and absolutely lights it up like it was 2019-2020 all over again.  

Im imagining a lot of things right now and none of it good. 

14 minutes ago, alucard said:

Juolevi, Juolevi, Juolevi,

Hope you’re right but I’m not sure if he’ll ever be able to fill the shoes of Edler one day.  I can see Juolevi becoming a decent 2nd pairing dman one day however.   I’m just not sure if he’ll be anything beyond that though.

Rather put a package together with Miller and the 9th and go after Edvinsson or Clarke, I see where you are going but I have never been high enough on Dahlin or Power to pay 2 top 10 picks for either of them. At least if we move Miller we get cap relief to make other moves. Plus we still have a similar player in Podz to replace him.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Hope you’re right but I’m not sure if he’ll ever be able to fill the shoes of Edler one day.  I can see Juolevi becoming a decent 2nd pairing dman one day however.   I’m just not sure if he’ll be anything beyond that though.

He will be the next Edler for Canucks.

24 minutes ago, alucard said:

He will be the next Edler for Canucks.

Really hope you’re right but I’ll admit that I’ve lost a bit of faith.  In his defense however, OJ isn’t a true D+5 since he had to overcome two serious injuries.  He’s also only 6 months older than Cale Makar if you can believe it.  

Well your up to your old tricks again. Something to think about what if this is Dhalen at his best and what if podkolzin is the power forward we’ve been looking for. We trade him now I can hear Boston laughing there behinds off. It’s Neely all over again. 
No let’s give the kid a chance, leave things as they are. 
Let’s not make trades based on chance and making trades for the sake of making a trade.