The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Best case scenario for the Canucks as I see it...

-Kraken takes Holtby.  Clears up $4.3M cap space.

-Virtanen gets traded for a 7th round draft pick in a future draft.  Not likely to happen since Mike Milbury is no longer a GM in the NHL...so other options for Virtanen: terminated for cause (best option 1A - clears up $2.55M cap space); bought out (best option 1B - costs $50K for 2021-22 and $500K for 2022-23).

He is not getting bought out. He will sit till it gets sorted then he will play for us (maybe) or get traded (likely)

9 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Wasn't it L.E. who was dragged through the media in a somewhat Hostile way back when he first got here for hunting and shooting a big game animal for sport?

Makes me wonder if that played on his psyche enough to be part of the reason for his dramatic and substantial decline? like a subconscious "i will never score a meaningful goal fo these people for the duration of my contract" kind of mindset? hrmmmmm

edit: might have been Booth. my memory is fuzzy. 

That was Booth....he was baiting the animals as I recall.  My father/brother are hunters and I've always hated it.  But they do it fair and square and they eat every single thing they kill...no trophies.  They don't even take pictures....it's all business to them.

I just feel he doesn't have any "killer instinct" at all....for some, it comes naturally but he just seems like a laid back/chill guy.  That doesn't always translate well into competitive sports.  Especially a guy into his "golden years" of his career.  Just seeing it through.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Wasn't it L.E. who was dragged through the media in a somewhat Hostile way back when he first got here for hunting and shooting a big game animal for sport?

Makes me wonder if that played on his psyche enough to be part of the reason for his dramatic and substantial decline? like a subconscious "i will never score a meaningful goal fo these people for the duration of my contract" kind of mindset? hrmmmmm

edit: might have been Booth. my memory is fuzzy. 

It was David Booth.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I just feel he doesn't have any "killer instinct" at all....for some, it comes naturally but he just seems like a laid back/chill guy.  That doesn't always translate well into competitive sports.  Especially a guy into his "golden years" of his career.  Just seeing it through.

Especially after losing millions in his failed restaurant chain (for those who don't follow LE,  he is principal shareholder in a Swedish restaurant chain that lost its liquor licence after the COO was arrested, and has been losing millions yearly since.  Probably a reason he hasn't just retired as his many detractors here want him to do)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

He is not getting bought out. He will sit till it gets sorted then he will play for us (maybe) or get traded (likely)

Virtanen will absolutely be bought out, his contract is not tradeable right now, no team will take him without serious sweetener.

Its not just the allegations, it’s that this happened at a Canucks team event. He will not play another game for the Canucks and it could be 2 or 3 years before he can find another team willing to give him a chance in the NHL. There’s too many other options that have less baggage.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Especially after losing millions in his failed restaurant chain (for those who don't follow LE,  he is principal shareholder in a Swedish restaurant chain that lost its liquor licence after the COO was arrested, and has been losing millions yearly since.  Probably a reason he hasn't just retired as his many detractors here want him to do)

I had absolutely no idea of this behind the scenes. Yikes. I'm not sure if the situation factors into why he has been playing bad. Maybe that would be giving him a convenient excuse. But yeah, that's brutal.

Any reason why the COO got arrested?

Edit: Never mind, here's the link. It's absolutely brutal. This is what happens when people who have too much money on their hands. They want to try and make more money with it, but end up losing money.

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/sports/hockey/the-skate-jake-train-is-at-the-station-479198/

Sometimes it’s about more than just playing

There are a lot of reasons why players keep playing. Mostly it’s about how much fun they’re having.

But it can also be about their bigger financial picture.

I’m pretty amazed this flew under the radar like it did: Loui Eriksson’s restaurant chain lost a ton of money in 2018 and while it did do better in 2019, he was still in the red.

One of the first things Eriksson did after signing his big contract in 2016 was to become the lead investor in the five-location chain.

But the restaurants almost immediately ran into trouble: the former owner was arrested on sexual assault charges against underage girls. The authorities rescinded the restaurants’ liquor licences, leading to a year-over-year decline in revenue of more than $8 million.

Revenues rebounded slightly in the latest reporting period — up to August 2019 — but that 2017-18 loss surely stings.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Virtanen will absolutely be bought out, his contract is not tradeable right now, no team will take him without serious sweetener.

Its not just the allegations, it’s that this happened at a Canucks team event. He will not play another game for the Canucks and it could be 2 or 3 years before he can find another team willing to give him a chance in the NHL. There’s too many other options that have less baggage.

I did not know this. 

Second, we will see what the police say.

29 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

No, he doesn't. We are not that desperate that we have to give up a top ten pick. That would be such a monumentally stupid thing to do. Our cap "problems" are being overblown.

Yeah, he said the 9th is in play, but he also said it would only be traded to get a young piece that fits in our core, not for a stupid cap dump.

Cap management isn't my area of expertise, but I was going on articles such as ......

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/04/20/tight-against-cap-how-can-vancouver-canucks-improve-offseason/

https://theathletic.com/2615992/2021/05/27/drance-why-the-canucks-must-ride-out-their-cap-issues-this-offseason-with-an-eye-toward-the-future/

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/05/vancouver-canucks-will-consider-buyouts-this-offseason.html

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/3/31/22359930/vancouver-canucks-cap-space-2021-22

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I had absolutely no idea of this behind the scenes. Yikes. I'm not sure if the situation factors into why he has been playing bad. Maybe that would be giving him a convenient excuse. But yeah, that's brutal.

Any reason why the COO got arrested?

Sexual assault charges against underage girls.  Scroll down in this article ...

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/sports/hockey/the-skate-jake-train-is-at-the-station-479198/

• Thanks 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Sexual assault charges against underage girls.  Scroll down in this article ...

Yeah, I found the link just before you posted it ;) But yeah, I had no idea until you brought up the background of this. I don't know if this played a factor into Eriksson's performance decline. But it shouldn't have. He should've been a professional about it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I did not know this. 

They likely won't have much to say. There's very little evidence from what's been discussed so far - as expected. This happened three years ago, and any physical evidence, aside from text messages, will probably be long gone.

I think many of us will predict this will go the civil route, in which case Virtanen can either pay a settlement for her suit to go away, or he could sue her back for defamation/damages. Either way, we'll probably never hear about the details again. If the victim talks about her case in any way, it could blow her case.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 4

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am 100% on board with them protecting Motte.

Those players with high intensity/competitive motors just give it their all, every shift.  That can spark others around them.

I'm glad he's a keeper.

Mottes a better asset too, if u were going to just get what you could for either of them.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

You cannot seem to separate the value of the player to the team from the personal issues.

I do not in any way condone violence perpetrated on anyone (outside of gameplay).

All I am saying is we could have got something for Jake before exposing him to the expansion draft.

It should be obvious to any adult that the actions in her claim (if true, and they probably are) are abhorrent.

Jake was on the fast track to buyout town  before all of this. Fact is, he sucks. 

• Cheers 4

52 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Best case scenario for the Canucks as I see it...

-Kraken takes Holtby.  Clears up $4.3M cap space.

-Virtanen gets traded for a 7th round draft pick in a future draft.  Not likely to happen since Mike Milbury is no longer a GM in the NHL...so other options for Virtanen: terminated for cause (best option 1A - clears up $2.55M cap space); bought out (best option 1B - costs $50K for 2021-22 and $500K for 2022-23).

That would be ideal

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I did not know this. 

At this point, it doesn't matter what the police say, the only difference it would make is, Vancouver could terminate Virtanens contract for violating the code of conduct clause. He'll be bought out before the start of Free Agency, to maximize our cap space. Because of how his contract was structured, it only costs us 50k next season.