The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't think they take Holtby. 

If I was them, I would take Gadj, Lind or Jake.

I could see them taking Price too if the hip rumours arnt true. Makes them instantly competitive and their fans would be stoked to have one of the best goalies in the league. I also hear the owners have deep pockets, so if they are going to spend on a player....Price is a big name to launch their franchise. 

Yeah plus another angle is they pick neither Holtby or Price and just get a cheaper goalie with potential. Looking at the unprotected D-men available (according to NHL's facebook page) Seattle could build a strong backend that can help support and insulate a less experienced, and thus lower cap hit, goalie 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Seattle would easily take Pearson.

They might not take Lind or Gadjovich.

Kinda tells you all you need to know. 

I wasn’t stoked to see Pearson resigned 

pre ED.

I’d rather see our youth develop into roles.

so I’d be ok with Seattle taking him and his cap hit knowing that we have replacements with higher ceilings and much cheaper waiting to go. 

that’s just me, I believe in going with young guys and giving them a legit chance to prove themselves. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, combover said:

pre ED.

so I’d be ok with Seattle taking him and his cap hit knowing that we have replacements with higher ceilings and much cheaper waiting to go. 

that’s just me, I believe in going with young guys and giving them a legit chance to prove themselves. 

Isn’t Pearson protected though?  

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Games Played

Pearson - 508

MacEwen - 55

Lind - 7

Gadjovich - 1

Goals Scored

Pearson - 118

MacEwen - 6

Lind - 0

Gadjovich - 0

Yeah I'm protecting Pearson...

Right wouldn’t want to give those guys a chance to prove themselves. 
A third the cap hit and higher ceiling than a 28/29 year old that’s slowing down.

Wierd how afraid  so many are to trust the youth and development kinda says drafting and development aren’t as good as some tell themselves. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Isn’t Pearson protected though?  

Yeah

However I would rather have see a part of the actual future protected that’s all.

gad Lind Mac all should be on the upswing in their careers while Pearson will be going the opposite way. 

I disagreed with one player on the list 

And Panties in knots. 
like saying  that a 28 year old has played more games than a 21 year old. Shocking!!!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, combover said:

A third the cap hit and higher ceiling than a 28/29 year old that’s slowing down.

Wierd how afraid  so many are to trust the youth and development kinda says drafting and development aren’t as good as some tell themselves. 

Seems foolish to protect an AHL player over a proven consistent NHL player who has chemistry and success on your 2nd line. 

Lind and Gadj both aren’t waiver exempt so if the Kraken take them they have to be 1000% sure they are going to be able yo stick with the team. I’m my opinion they haven’t shown they can be consistent players …yet. 

am I hoping they become good players for us? Absolutely. 

18 minutes ago, combover said:

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood your post.  

23 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Losing Jake for nothing does not sit well with me.

Many athletes have made terrible decisions in the past and gone on to very good careers.

Even if it is all true, I think 'we' have all been too quick to condemn him and now we're getting nothing for a high first round pick.

He will probably settle with the woman out of the public eye and then it will all be 'water under the bridge'.

Seattle will get an enigmatic but talented winger who is big, strong, fast, and knows how to hit hard.

Soon these personal problems will be almost totally forgotten imo, and Jake may well settle into a good career.

love your post.

you must be a professional storyteller, otherwise I can't explain your lovely story.

I guess you work in a marketing department creating stories for specific products to boost sales.

Well done.

Let's keep them coming.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, grumpyone said:

instead of taking Price at 10.5 for 5 yrs I'd talk to Ovie about 12 mill for 5 yrs. more bang for the buck. 

Add Ovie to Landeskog @ 7.5 and Tarasenko @ 7.5 and your power play is set

That will give teams nightmares. 

14 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Ya it takes 2 but what trades has he made or won  since being gm jt Miller that is plus every signing he has made has almost been awful he agreed this team is close to contending and best he could do is 4th line centre from all guys left unprotected ontop of that he’s gonna probably lose one of our better prospects for nothing wake up he isn’t capable gm but a great scout 

JB bashing, unintelligible rabble, poor grammer, where on earth are you from?

59 minutes ago, combover said:

Pearson is already established as a top6/top 9 forward.  The other guys haven't done anything yet at the NHL level.  You don't protect a guy like Gadjovich over Pearson.  Why would you?  He still needs to learn how to skate.  MacEwen has shown no signs that he can be a regular top 9 forward in the NHL.  If that is the case then 4th line forwards are available every day through the waiver wire.  Kole Lind is the only one of the 3 that I would have protected.  And I wouldn't have protected him over Pearson.  I would have protected him over Motte, who is a 4th liner that can slide up to the 3trd line.  Pearson is a 2nd liner that can slide down to the 3rd line.  Big difference.  With Highmore and Lockwood Motte is redundant at this point.  He's coming off a bunch of injuries and will be a UFA next year.

At the end of the day we can only lose one player.  So 2 of those 3 will still be with the Canucks on Wednesday.  Teams will be losing good players.  Winnipeg will lose either Demelo or Appleton.  Both those guys are better than Kole Lind.  Tampa exposed Cal Foote, a first round pick.  Chicago exposed Zadorov.  All these guys are better than Kole Lind.

Lots of other teams are exposing players that are better and have more potential than Kole Lind.  So your argument is moot at this point.  Losing a Kole Lind doesn't mean much if you already have better forwards in your lineup.

55 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

love your post.

you must be a professional storyteller, otherwise I can't explain your lovely story.

I guess you work in a marketing department creating stories for specific products to boost sales.

Well done.

Let's keep them coming.

Seems posters who took this to mean I was excusing any violence against anyone think that Jake is worthless, and no other team, including Seattle was, or are willing to give the Canucks anything.

I think Jake is the BPA on our list of unprotected and available players, and even though "WE" no longer want him on our team, imo he still has value.

If Seattle selects him, that will prove my point, and actually we will get something for him, as Seattle can only take one player from us, leaving another who might have been chosen.

These posters are so easily triggered.

Jumping on that post as if Hitler had re-emerged from his bunker.

Get over yourselves.

I have been active all my adult life supporting havens for women at risk, taking in children from broken families, seeing that kids get back into school and graduate (even go on to post-secondary degrees), bailed kids out of jail and got all charges dropped, et cetera, all on my own dime (and my wife's dime too of course) so please take your rage elsewhere.

I guess I should have just posted: Bad Asset Management, something that is easier for small minds to understand.

1 hour ago, combover said:

pre ED.

Pearson over Lind or Gads is a tank move.    Pearson can still be traded later, and as long as he's on the second line won't decline for another 3-4 years. 

I love Gads and was hoping he'd be protected.   Because we don't have enough old school hockey in our lineup. And don't want our team to be the Krakens William Karlsson.    Don't know if he can or can't do it.   

These guys aren't 18-19 year olds.   They've moved up and being developed.   If they were "that good" they'd be in the lineup by now.   

JV for sure would be picked 100% without his issues.    Leaves Holtby and a bunch of maybes.    The majority of the Kraken fan blog models see Gads picked so i went with him.   Also because i think he has the most potential.   And like how he plays. 

A lot are saying Lind or Gadjovich, but why would SEA want these guys? They're both unproven young players with fairly low ceilings. Might not even become NHL players.

Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?  That could be why. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot are saying Lind or Gadjovich, but why would SEA want these guys? They're both unproven young players with fairly low ceilings. Might not even become NHL players.

Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?  That could be why. :ph34r:

Gadjovich scored almost a goal a game pace last year - go watch his highlights.   Parks himself infront of the net and makes defenders lives miserable.   Lind was good too, as was Rathbone and Woo (just talking AHL and yes the bubble weakened some lineups).   We don't  have anyone in our entire lineup, including McEwen who makes defenders lives as miserable as Gads plays in the AHL at least.   And he fights like an animal too.     Lind is more refined all around player,  with a higher ceiling, but id much rather they keep him and we keep Gads.    BTW if you google some of the models the Seattle fans have, they want Gads now that JV is tainted.    THN has them taking Holtby and flipping him for a pick at the TDL but i'm pretty sure they won't do that.   Maybe if we give them Gads or Lind too. 

Edit:  I'm going to be mighty pissed if they take either of Gadjovich or Lind, and they end up as NHLers better then Motte or Dickinson.  Very pissed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hoping for Holtby expecting Gadjovich.  That's going to hurt us. 

yeah. I like his attitude a lot. He does still need a lot of work to be a full time player, so we could possibly get him back on waivers, which would be hilarious. 

• Cheers 2