The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, bree2 said:

it is rumoured that Price will probably have to have hip surgery and will probably be out the first half of season if not the whole season. Holtby is not as bad as you are making him out to be, the  second half he played well, i think there is a good chance they take him 

I am looking at the comments in Social media. And, aside from Canucks fans here, many aren't even predicting Holtby as any of their top 3 choices. I do feel part of the prediction is just wishful thinking from us. 

And of course besides Carey Price, Quick is also available. Or Seattle could just go to the UFA market to get their #1 goalie. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I am looking at the comments in Social media. And, aside from Canucks fans here, many aren't even predicting Holtby as any of their top 3 choices. I do feel part of the prediction is just wishful thinking from us. 

And of course besides Carey Price, Quick is also available. Or Seattle could just go to the UFA market to get their #1 goalie. 

I don't think they take Holtby. 

If I was them, I would take Gadj, Lind or Jake.

I could see them taking Price too if the hip rumours arnt true. Makes them instantly competitive and their fans would be stoked to have one of the best goalies in the league. I also hear the owners have deep pockets, so if they are going to spend on a player....Price is a big name to launch their franchise. 

• Thanks 1

Carey Price has 5 more years at 10.5 mil. Plus he has a 13 mil payment that Seattle will get stuck with that is due this summer.

I doubt they jump all over that. I can't see a new franchise spending too much until they know how things are going to go.

Holtby has 5.7 mil for one year with a 4.3 cap hit. Then they could resign him. 

Edited by appleboy

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I could see them taking Price too if the hip rumours arnt true. Makes them instantly competitive and their fans would be stoked to have one of the best goalies in the league. I also hear the owners have deep pockets, so if they are going to spend on a player....Price is a big name to launch their franchise. 

Kraken fanbase social media is rife with speculation ofc.  Popular theme is for them to select Price, then flip him back to Montreal with 50% retained in exchange for a prospect and a couple of high picks.  Gives Montreal some cap room, and gets Kraken some assets.  Unclear whether this circumvents any expansion rule, but if so, then find a 3rd party to dance with like Arizona or Detroit.

instead of taking Price at 10.5 for 5 yrs I'd talk to Ovie about 12 mill for 5 yrs. more bang for the buck. 

Add Ovie to Landeskog @ 7.5 and Tarasenko @ 7.5 and your power play is set

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yeah. - 6'3", 206 lbs.  549 games,    0.21 Points per game,   1103 hits,    774 blocked shots .  Dime a dozen indeed

Bottom pair, puck-handling limitations. You let let him go and pick up someone else just like him and carry on. 

Just now, Googlie said:

Kraken fanbase social media is rife with speculation ofc.  Popular theme is for them to select Price, then flip him back to Montreal with 50% retained in exchange for a prospect and a couple of high picks.  Gives Montreal some cap room, and gets Kraken some assets.  Unclear whether this circumvents any expansion rule, but if so, then find a 3rd party to dance with like Arizona or Detroit.

oh really? they are ready for this new nhl... where teams fart around with circumventing the rules

With that in mind, how can Price be exposed for the expansion if he does indeed need hip surgery? That seems cheeky, he should be on LTIR. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

oh really? they are ready for this new nhl... where teams fart around with circumventing the rules

With that in mind, how can Price be exposed for the expansion if he does indeed need hip surgery? That seems cheeky, he should be on LTIR. 

could also be a ploy by Montreal to dissuade Seattle from taking Price and be able to protect Allen.  More rule circumvention? dirty pool?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Seattle cannot trade players back to the team they were claimed from is my understanding.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Not allowed according to LeBrun.

9167D149-803E-4716-B7B9-0AFA378F3FCD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Someone better versed in the minutiae of the ED and contract buyout rules might know the answer to a question that is bugging me ....

The Kraken now exist, so they can sign players to contracts (and have already done so)

The Wild have bought out Suter and Parise

Are these two now completely free agents, with terminated contracts, or are they still Wild "pending UFAs" until the Free Agency date?

If Seattle agree to terms with, say, Suter now, is that their pick from the Wild, although he is no longer under contract to them?

Anyone know?

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Someone better versed in the minutiae of the ED and contract buyout rules might know the answer to a question that is bugging me ....

The Kraken now exist, so they can sign players to contracts (and have already done so)

The Wild have bought out Suter and Parise

Are these two now completely free agents, with terminated contracts, or are they still Wild "pending UFAs" until the Free Agency date?

If Seattle agree to terms with, say, Suter now, is that their pick from the Wild, although he is no longer under contract to them?

Anyone know?

They are completely UFA.  Minnesota renounced their rights to these players altogether buying them out.

Are still liable to lose another player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Wow! 6 cans short of a 6 pack i see!!

You do understand that it takes 2 teams to make a deal and that any deal has to make sense! Maybe some teams don't want to make a deal. Maybe said deal doesn't make sense! Just because you want something (a trade etc) to happen, doesn't mean it just happens with a snap of the fingers. But, blame Benning! It's what you haters do!! The ignorance on here by some sometimes is unreal. 

Ya it takes 2 but what trades has he made or won  since being gm jt Miller that is plus every signing he has made has almost been awful he agreed this team is close to contending and best he could do is 4th line centre from all guys left unprotected ontop of that he’s gonna probably lose one of our better prospects for nothing wake up he isn’t capable gm but a great scout 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Ya it takes 2 but what trades has he made or won  since being gm jt Miller that is plus every signing he has made has almost been awful he agreed this team is close to contending and best he could do is 4th line centre from all guys left unprotected ontop of that he’s gonna probably lose one of our better prospects for nothing wake up he isn’t capable gm but a great scout 

Which trade from this week is it that you are upset JB didn’t get in on? Victor Arvidsson, Duncan Keith, Ryan Graves, Nick Leddy, Jared McCann, or Ryan Ellis? From “all the guys left unprotected” these are the ones that changed teams. That’s not a big list of trades made by the “capable” GMs. The off-season isn’t over yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Yeah, ignore the points made and repeat yourself! Your comprehension of this stuff is non existent. I'm not going to waste my time & energy explaining the multiple things you're not getting / you're missing and i'm sure others don't really want to either. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Really surprised at the amount of posters thinking Seattle is going to take JV. Never going to happen. They’re not touching him in his current situation with a 10 foot pole. 

It's probably people hoping they take him rather than believing that they will. That would be one of the best case scenarios for us.