The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah. I like his attitude a lot. He does still need a lot of work to be a full time player, so we could possibly get him back on waivers, which would be hilarious. 

I really like how he plays.   I think last season some players were hidden in the weeds on purpose.   Overall JB did a very good job of timing his vet contracts to keep the defense away from Kraken which is good.    And JV in a way gave us an extra protection slot which he used in Dickinson.    I really hope THN is correct and they take Holtby.    For sure we can trade for a back-up or sign one at half the cap hit.    The only issue i have with Gadjovich is he's not a pk type and you need your bottom six to take those minutes.   It's possible they take Zack too.   In the end we won't lose anything that important right now.   Remember last draft half the CDC was freaking out over losing Gaunce, very likely it will be more of the same. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I really like how he plays.   I think last season some players were hidden in the weeds on purpose.   Overall JB did a very good job of timing his vet contracts to keep the defense away from Kraken which is good.    And JV in a way gave us an extra protection slot which he used in Dickinson.    I really hope THN is correct and they take Holtby.    For sure we can trade for a back-up or sign one at half the cap hit.    The only issue i have with Gadjovich is he's not a pk type and you need your bottom six to take those minutes.   It's possible they take Zack too.   In the end we won't lose anything that important right now.   Remember last draft half the CDC was freaking out over losing Gaunce, very likely it will be more of the same. 

Gaunce. I got a lot of negative votes over not liking him :P

I think we can move Holtby even if Seattle doesn't take him. Some kind of package to Buffalo would be nice, assuming they aren't on is 4 team ntc. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Gaunce. I got a lot of negative votes over not liking him :P

I think we can move Holtby even if Seattle doesn't take him. Some kind of package to Buffalo would be nice, assuming they aren't on is 4 team ntc. 

Boston makes some sense given Rask isn't expected to be ready.    Hope we can.   Retention ... might have to occur which gets to the point why bother pretty quickly. 

Edit:  Yes on Gaunce for me too.. actually laughed a little when they picked Sbisa - so many were freaking out over losing Gaunce it almost seemed a certainty. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Boston makes some sense given Rask isn't expected to be ready.    Hope we can.   Retention ... might have to occur which gets to the point why bother pretty quickly. 

I think that works in our favour tbh. Retaining 500k-1 mil e.g., makes Holtby a really attractive option for Boston and a lot of other teams. At 3.3 to 3.8  mil I think there are likely a number of interested teams.

A buyout costs us 500k anyway so might as well retain at least 500k. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, combover said:

I wasn’t stoked to see Pearson resigned 

pre ED.

I’d rather see our youth develop into roles.

so I’d be ok with Seattle taking him and his cap hit knowing that we have replacements with higher ceilings and much cheaper waiting to go. 

that’s just me, I believe in going with young guys and giving them a legit chance to prove themselves. 

If Seattle does take Kole Lind and he pans out to be a good NHL player this could be another Bennng blunder. A lot of teams didn't resign their pending UFA's in hopes that Seattle won't claim them. Benning could have waited to resign Pearson after the expansion draft so he could protect one of the younger players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think that works in our favour tbh. Retaining 500k-1 mil e.g., makes Holtby a really attractive option for Boston and a lot of other teams. At 3.3 to 3.8  mil I think there are likely a number of interested teams.

Exactly.   Will they want more though?  I think that they might.  And then we have to find an equal or better replacement.   Who's on the market...right now we have to wait until after the ED to find out.  Best case they just take Holtby but with Bishop and Price available this could get interesting pretty fast 

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

If Seattle does take Kole Lind and he pans out to be a good NHL player this could be another Bennng blunder. A lot of teams didn't resign their pending UFA's in hopes that Seattle won't claim them. Benning could have waited to resign Pearson after the expansion draft so he could protect one of the younger players.

Last time it was Gaunce.   I think Gads should have been protected.   We will have to wait... 

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Exactly.   Will they want more though?  I think that they might.  And then we have to find an equal or better replacement.   Who's on the market...right now we have to wait until after the ED to find out.  Best case they just take Holtby but with Bishop and Price available this could get interesting pretty fast 

no kidding. I think there's a good chance Seattle does take Price but we'll see. Boston really does need someone tho, and I doubt they are on Holby's no go list. But then again, he may really hate them from his days in Washington. 

Seattle is going to be set! Here is your 2021/2022 Vancouver Kraken! ::D

Ryan Miller (G)
Michael Chaput (F)
Josh Leivo (F)
Drew Shore (F)
Adam Gaudette (F)
Jayson Megna (F)
Zac Dalpe (F)
Taylor Fedun (D)
Sam Gagner (F)
Adam Cracknell (F)
Kevin Connauton (D)
Nick Bonino (F)
Erik Gudbranson (D)
Cory Schneider (G)
Derrick Pouliot (D)
Yannick Weber (D)
Luke Schenn (D)
Ben Hutton (D)
Jake Virtanen (F)
Jordie Benn (D)

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:41 AM, Alflives said:

Jake is the best player on the list.  

Q: Does anyone know when Jake The Ripper is convicted - if he can serve his prison time in US Jails?  Or will he have to return to the Matsqui / Abbotsford Prison to serve his time here?

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really doubt Seattle takes Holtby.   And also think with the goalies available it won't create a market where he's extra desirable.   I really liked JB last off season including acquiring Holtby but that insurance came at a cost that we will be paying for this season (which i'm also fine with, would be a lot worse if Demko didn't prove himself. 

That said Seattle has to take three goalies, Andersson and Rask are up for new contracts, Bishop is a good pick for a starter and at least two others need to be picked.    A lot of backups are up for another deal which makes it plausible that Holtby could get picked too.   But i doubt it.   I also don't think there will be much of a market for him given there are way more back-ups available this year to replace the goalies that get taken.   They won't pick two starters, and two starters are available.   Doesn't make sense given they have said they want to weaponize their cap later which is part of their overall strategy.   Holtby, Anderson, Greuber (who i think can be a starter in this league), Rask competing for a job in Dallas, and Boston.   I'd put Holtby on the bottom of that list.   

For sure it's plausible this is hockey and anything can happen.   And for sure i'd rather have Elliot, Reimer, or Greuber at 2 million  too.     Rask  being injured is the only reason Holtby getting moved around the ED makes any sense at all, he's almost certainly going back to Boston.    Not to mention the LTIR tactics won't go unnoticed. 

Edited by IBatch

On 7/18/2021 at 7:44 AM, johngould21 said:

The only players at this moment I consider NHL calibre.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Available

Sven Baertschi (F)

Justin Bailey (F)

Jay Beagle (F)

Travis Boyd (F)

Loui Eriksson (F)

Jonah Gadjovich (F)

Tyler Graovac (F)

Jayce Hawryluk (F)

Matthew Highmore (F)

Lukas Jasek (F)

Kole Lind (F)

Zack MacEwen (F)

Petrus Palmu (F)

Antoine Roussel (F)

Brandon Sutter (F)

Jimmy Vesey (F)

Jake Virtanen (F)

Madison Bowey (D)

Guillaume Brisebois (D)

Jalen Chatfield (D)

Alexander Edler (D)

Travis Hamonic (D)

Brogan Rafferty (D)

Ashton Sautner (D)

Josh Teves (D)

Braden Holtby (G)

Protected

Brock Boeser (F)

Jason Dickinson (F)

Bo Horvat (F)

J.T. Miller (F)

Tyler Motte (F)

Tanner Pearson (F)

Elias Pettersson (F)

Olli Juolevi (D)

Tyler Myers (D)

Nate Schmidt (D)

Thatcher Demko (G)

**********************************************************************************************************************

I think your comment &highlighting the only NHL worthy players on our roster speaks volumes on how bad a job Uncle Jim has done after eight years at the helm.   If  tthat is all we have then that is proof enough for his termination.

15 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Seattle is going to be set! Here is your 2021/2022 Vancouver Kraken! ::D

Ryan Miller (G)
Michael Chaput (F)
Josh Leivo (F)
Drew Shore (F)
Adam Gaudette (F)
Jayson Megna (F)
Zac Dalpe (F)
Taylor Fedun (D)
Sam Gagner (F)
Adam Cracknell (F)
Kevin Connauton (D)
Nick Bonino (F)
Erik Gudbranson (D)
Cory Schneider (G)
Derrick Pouliot (D)
Yannick Weber (D)
Luke Schenn (D)
Ben Hutton (D)
Jake Virtanen (F)
Jordie Benn (D)

i thought Ryan Miller retired at the end of the season

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I really doubt Seattle takes Holtby.   And also think with the goalies available it won't create a market where he's extra desirable.   I really liked JB last off season including acquiring Holtby but that insurance came at a cost that we will be paying for this season (which i'm also fine with, would be a lot worse if Demko didn't prove himself. 

That said Seattle has to take three goalies, Andersson and Rask are up for new contracts, Bishop is a good pick for a starter and at least two others need to be picked.    A lot of backups are up for another deal which makes it plausible that Holtby could get picked too.   But i doubt it.   I also don't think there will be much of a market for him given there are way more back-ups available this year to replace the goalies that get taken.   They won't pick two starters, and two starters are available.   Doesn't make sense given they have said they want to weaponize their cap later which is part of their overall strategy.   Holtby, Anderson, Greuber (who i think can be a starter in this league), Rask competing for a job in Dallas, TO and Boston.   I'd put Holtby on the bottom of that list.   

For sure it's plausible this is hockey and anything can happen.   And for sure i'd rather have Elliot, Reimer, or Greuber at 2 million  too.     Rask  being injured is the only reason Holtby getting moved around the ED makes any sense at all, he's almost certainly going back to Boston.    Not to mention the LTIR tactics won't go unnoticed. 

I guess the one thing we might be able to do that others can't is take back an equivalent salary in a F e.g. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Available

Sven Baertschi (F)

Justin Bailey (F)

Jay Beagle (F)

Travis Boyd (F)

Loui Eriksson (F)

Jonah Gadjovich (F)

Tyler Graovac (F)

Jayce Hawryluk (F)

Matthew Highmore (F)

Lukas Jasek (F)

Kole Lind (F)

Zack MacEwen (F)

Petrus Palmu (F)

Antoine Roussel (F)

Brandon Sutter (F)

Jimmy Vesey (F)

Jake Virtanen (F)

Madison Bowey (D)

Guillaume Brisebois (D)

Jalen Chatfield (D)

Alexander Edler (D)

Travis Hamonic (D)

Brogan Rafferty (D)

Ashton Sautner (D)

Josh Teves (D)

Braden Holtby (G)

Protected

Brock Boeser (F)

Jason Dickinson (F)

Bo Horvat (F)

J.T. Miller (F)

Tyler Motte (F)

Tanner Pearson (F)

Elias Pettersson (F)

Olli Juolevi (D)

Tyler Myers (D)

Nate Schmidt (D)

Thatcher Demko (G)

**********************************************************************************************************************

I think your comment &highlighting the only NHL worthy players on our roster speaks volumes on how bad a job Uncle Jim has done after eight years at the helm.   If  tthat is all we have then that is proof enough for his termination.

You get that the highlights don't represent all of "Uncle Jim's" work over 8 years right?

Because your comment seems to say otherwise.

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Available

Sven Baertschi (F)

Justin Bailey (F)

Jay Beagle (F)

Travis Boyd (F)

Loui Eriksson (F)

Jonah Gadjovich (F)

Tyler Graovac (F)

Jayce Hawryluk (F)

Matthew Highmore (F)

Lukas Jasek (F)

Kole Lind (F)

Zack MacEwen (F)

Petrus Palmu (F)

Antoine Roussel (F)

Brandon Sutter (F)

Jimmy Vesey (F)

Jake Virtanen (F)

Madison Bowey (D)

Guillaume Brisebois (D)

Jalen Chatfield (D)

Alexander Edler (D)

Travis Hamonic (D)

Brogan Rafferty (D)

Ashton Sautner (D)

Josh Teves (D)

Braden Holtby (G)

Protected

Brock Boeser (F)

Jason Dickinson (F)

Bo Horvat (F)

J.T. Miller (F)

Tyler Motte (F)

Tanner Pearson (F)

Elias Pettersson (F)

Olli Juolevi (D)

Tyler Myers (D)

Nate Schmidt (D)

Thatcher Demko (G)

Man.  You need to see the other side of the coin too.   It's called ED prep, which Uncle Jim made darn sure of as soon as it was announced.  Just because you might not understand i will spell it out for you.

Edlers contract for sure could have been three or four years.  Sutters contract was a fluke but it does matter.   Holtby's contract (insurance for Demko, also exposed as the most proven player on the list although i doubt he's picked).    We are only allowed to protect three D's.   Sorted there 100%.    Any UFAs won't get picked because they can just go sign anywhere even if they do get picked.  Vegas. 

JV.  Added a protection slot.   Good for something, welcome to team Dickinson. 

Oh poor us, all we have is a core/pool of QHs, EP, Podz, Hogs, Demko, Miller,  because of JB.   What a dick.   Plus Myers, Schmidt, OJ, Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, and maybe only one of Gads or Lind.    We have one of the youngest cores in the entire league.   Edler and LE go one of the youngest teams too.  

But your complaining because well you have to do that i guess.   Look at our drafting the previous 20 years.    Or for sh!ts and giggles the 6 years of MG and the last three of Nonis.   Sucking was always going to happen no matter what, and JB drafting is bette then 23 GMs in the league AFTER draft position is taken into consideration.     If you don't believe me i'd suggest spending a day and go through his entire tenure, and look at average draft position and compare our pool, year to year and see where we end up.

JB is guilty of one thing.   LE.   Can't control Covid and flat cap.   And can't help it if his players developed even quicker then he expected.   Have some more patience.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess the one thing we might be able to do that others can't is take back an equivalent salary in a F e.g. 

I'm like you - I hope they take Holtby (and the Hockey News thinks they will -and then flip him close to the TDL with retention...seems reasonable to me) but expect them to take Lind or Gadjovich.  Hope we are both wrong. 

• Cheers 1

The kraken have good options all across the board. If they got a bunch of vets and said let's win now, I'll bet you they'd have the buy in from the players. But they also don't need 30 NHL caliber forwards next year. They need to start figuring out their system and farm team. That's why I don't think it's completely out of the question for them to take depth players (i.e. Lind/Gadjovich).

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Man.  You need to see the other side of the coin too.   It's called ED prep, which Uncle Jim made darn sure of as soon as it was announced.  Just because you might not understand i will spell it out for you.

Edlers contract for sure could have been three or four years.  Sutters contract was a fluke but it does matter.   Holtby's contract (insurance for Demko, also exposed as the most proven player on the list although i doubt he's picked).    We are only allowed to protect three D's.   Sorted there 100%.    Any UFAs won't get picked because they can just go sign anywhere even if they do get picked.  Vegas. 

JV.  Added a protection slot.   Good for something, welcome to team Dickinson. 

Oh poor us, all we have is a core/pool of QHs, EP, Podz, Hogs, Demko, Miller,  because of JB.   What a dick.   Plus Myers, Schmidt, OJ, Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, and maybe only one of Gads or Lind.    We have one of the youngest cores in the entire league.   Edler and LE go one of the youngest teams too.  

But your complaining because well you have to do that i guess.   Look at our drafting the previous 20 years.    Or for sh!ts and giggles the 6 years of MG and the last three of Nonis.   Sucking was always going to happen no matter what, and JB drafting is bette then 23 GMs in the league AFTER draft position is taken into consideration.     If you don't believe me i'd suggest spending a day and go through his entire tenure, and look at average draft position and compare our pool, year to year and see where we end up.

JB is guilty of one thing.   LE.   Can't control Covid and flat cap.   And can't help it if his players developed even quicker then he expected.   Have some more patience.    

Once they're on this tangent, nothing will stop them.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Jake Virtanen, Cody Hodgson, Brad Ference, Jason Herter, Dan Woodley, Jere Gillis...you can lump these together as Canucks' epic failures at the draft table when picking in the top ten.

Virtanen has 317 reg games  and 16 in the best league in the world- so far

Hodgson 328    plus 12 play off games, till a medical issue forced him out of the game

Jere Gillis 386 plus 19 post season

Bad Ference  250 games

All played enough games to be pensionable under the current rules.

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Q: Does anyone know when Jake The Ripper is convicted - if he can serve his prison time in US Jails?  Or will he have to return to the Matsqui / Abbotsford Prison to serve his time here?

Counter question, why do you believe or think Jake has been criminally charged?

Shouldn't you know this if you are going to throw out derogatory names?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3