The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Wow surprised I’m not the only

one Thinking they take highmore. 
with all the top6 talent that’s out there and looking at the Canucks list likely they pick someone cheap and useful from us.

They are competing first year smh:sadno:

With all the top six talent out there, they won't get that from us unless they take a flyer on JV.   So it's pretty likely we are one of the teams they take a flyer on an up and coming B prospect.   To me that is Lind or Gads.    Goalies ..: a ton of UFA backups to choose from this year.  And there will likely only be 3-4 teams competing for them after the ED.   I don't see Seattle talking more then three goalies but at most four.   

And yes they will be competing their first year.   Pretty much any mock draft can do that.  Not for the cup but as a playoff team, GMs won't be loading up extras just let them pick this time through as a collective they've learned their lesson (or so i hope at least).   Guess we will find out shortly.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

With all the top six talent out there, they won't get that from us unless they take a flyer on JV.   So it's pretty likely we are one of the teams they take a flyer on an up and coming B prospect.   To me that is Lind or Gads.    Goalies ..: a ton of UFA backups to choose from this year.  And there will likely only be 3-4 teams competing for them after the ED.   I don't see Seattle talking more then three goalies but at most four.   

And yes they will be competing their first year.   Pretty much any mock draft can do that.  Not for the cup but as a playoff team, GMs won't be loading up extras just let them pick this time through as a collective they've learned their lesson (or so i hope at least).   Guess we will find out shortly.  

With the talent out there. They are going to have a very good team but the cap of some of these players are high so they’ll need cheap But reliable Bottom 6 talent. Don’t be surprised if it’s Highmore or BigMac

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

With the talent out there. They are going to have a very good team but the cap of some of these players are high so they’ll need cheap But reliable Bottom 6 talent. Don’t be surprised if it’s Highmore or BigMac

If the Canucks escape expansion with giving up Highmore or MacEwen only, then that would be a big win.  The only way it would be a bigger win is if Seattle took Eriksson or Holtby at a low to nil cost.  Either Highmore or MacEwen could still improve their play significantly in the next year or two, but any major increase in production would be more of a surprise than an expectation at this stage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nzan said:

You get that the highlights don't represent all of "Uncle Jim's" work over 8 years right?

Because your comment seems to say otherwise.

You do understand he's someone who finds negativity in everything Benning does or does not do right? They do say not to feed the trolls.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

You might be surprised.  Guys like Lind and MacEwen are still complete unknowns while Holtby is getting up there in age and wouldn’t be seen as a long term asset.

For all of Jake’s warts these past 18 months or so, he was well on his way to having his first ever 20 goal season pre-Covid.   The “Covid lifestyle” and “Covid fatigue” affects everyone differently and this can certainly be a major reason why Virtanen was a no show from the Bubble onwards.

A 20 goal clip at a 2.5 million dollar cap hit is good production.  If Jake delivers for Seattle, he’ll likely try and be there long term and be a long term asset to the franchise (even if he signs a short term deal first).  If he busts, then Seattle walks away from him at the end of the season.

Guys like MacEwen and Lind are a dime a dozen.  Virtanen on the other hand, could be an excellent reclamation project to take a gamble on.

I highly doubt Seattle being in an a VERY liberal state would ever consider someone who has sexual assault charges currently pending.  Even if it gets cleared up theres still a massive cloud around the situations that will linger forever of "did they pay her off? did they just botch the investigation because he's a rich athlete?"

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Q: Does anyone know when Jake The Ripper is convicted - if he can serve his prison time in US Jails?  Or will he have to return to the Matsqui / Abbotsford Prison to serve his time here?

He's hasn't even been criminally charged ...? 

• Cheers 1

If Seattle's owners have deep pockets, will they be a cap team?

They might pick Price and start him on LTIR. That would give Holtby a better role to start and he can be moved at the trade deadline in time for Price to come back from potential surgery.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Upvote 1

Q: Does anyone know when Jake The Ripper is convicted - if he can serve his prison time in US Jails?  Or will he have to return to the Matsqui / Abbotsford Prison to serve his time here?

I'm guessing the same jail that patrick kane served his time in.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Jake has NOT been charged with anything and likely will NOT be charged with anything. This is a civil matter that is being investigated by the police, but is likely a he said / she said issue and likely not enough evidence for them to pursue it. 

Regardless of anything criminal, Jake sealed his own fate here in the fact that this occurred during a team event, training camp I believe, since they were all staying at hotels in Vancouver, and there's no reason to have the whole team at hotels unless its training camp.

Due to this fact, he has lost the trust of Canucks ownership and Management and will be bought out. He won't play another game as a Canuck and based on his performance last season, and this case hanging over his head, I think he spends the next 2 or so seasons in the KHL. I highly doubt that he will find takers at league minimum right now as there are too many other options with less baggage.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Don't think so, but let's not let facts get in the way.. what I do know is...  that wood floats on water, as do ducks. Therefore, if the Jake weighs the same as a duck, he must be able to float on water, which means he is made of wood, and consequently must be a witch.

Burn Him!

monty-python-witch-gif-5.gif

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Jake has NOT been charged with anything and likely will NOT be charged with anything. This is a civil matter that is being investigated by the police, but is likely a he said / she said issue and likely not enough evidence for them to pursue it. 

Regardless of anything criminal, Jake sealed his own fate here in the fact that this occurred during a team event, training camp I believe, since they were all staying at hotels in Vancouver, and there's no reason to have the whole team at hotels unless its training camp.

Due to this fact, he has lost the trust of Canucks ownership and Management and will be bought out. He won't play another game as a Canuck and based on his performance last season, and this case hanging over his head, I think he spends the next 2 or so seasons in the KHL. I highly doubt that he will find takers at league minimum right now as there are too many other options with less baggage.

Can the Canucks just cancel his contract and get the cap back?  Has he breached his contract?

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Can the Canucks just cancel his contract and get the cap back?  Has he breached his contract?

Once he’s charged, maybe?  But even then it’s more likely Jake would need to be convicted.  By the time any trial is over (likely there won’t even be one) Jake's contract will be over.  Buy him out before the window closes (end of July) or pencil him in to the third line.  I think those are the only options.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Virtanen has 317 reg games  and 16 in the best league in the world- so far

Hodgson 328    plus 12 play off games, till a medical issue forced him out of the game

Jere Gillis 386 plus 19 post season

Bad Ference  250 games

All played enough games to be pensionable under the current rules.

Counter question, why do you believe or think Jake has been criminally charged?

Shouldn't you know this if you are going to throw out derogatory names?

Jason Herter battled a number of groin injuries that played a factor in his lack of development.  His problem was that while he didn't have any particular weaknesses, he didn't particularly excel in any area either.  "Jack of all trades but a master of one" or so the cliche' goes.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

Other than last minute addition of Dickinson and subtraction of Lind; that is who I had pegged as being protected. It looks like the Kraken will have lots of established NHL players to choose from as well as goalies so my bet is on Lind or Gadjovich getting picked.

If either Lindor Gadjovich is picked up by Seattle,  I am curious if they are subject to waivers?

I just don't see the both of them making the roster immediately due to the players Seattle can pick from.  But don't get me wrong, they are good prospects.  

I am certain if they are placed on waivers, the Canucks would be waiting to pounce.  

On 7/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, AbrasiveAjax said:

If your actually asking my opinion........?

There should no place for anyone except jail if they perpetrated sexual violence towards any woman.

What cave did you crawl out of?

We should allow due process to occurr for Jake.  It appears he has already been convicted guilty when the police investigation is not even complete.  

I believer we should let the justice system do its' work before we make judgment that Jake is a predator.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

On 7/18/2021 at 9:10 AM, nux_win said:

I'm hoping they pick Loui.  Maybe we can showcase how well he played elsewhere or maybe put some ribbons and bells on him to make him more appealing.  If they don't take him it will suck, but that's the nature of expansion drafts, they're likely going to pick someone that we want to keep.  We just need to get this over with as quickly as possible and move forward building a winning team.  Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - I hate the Las Vegas Golden Knights about as much as Bettman loves them.

I think they could benefit from taking Louie. They could artificially lower their cap to 75M, AND his actual pay is lower. This would give them a balloon of cap space next year when better UFAs are available. Without the struggle of trying to shed contracts. Plus they will be overwhelmed with so many decent contracts in the ED as it is. In effect, it gives them one less contract to worry about. 

They're going to have a glutton of riches even at a artificial 75M, and as a bonus Louie kills penalties. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

That would take a battle with the NHLPA. We are only out 50k against cap for the first year and 500k for second. Its not worth the fight.

• Cheers 1