The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, EastVanCanuck said:

If either Lindor Gadjovich is picked up by Seattle,  I am curious if they are subject to waivers?

I am not certain what rules apply to the expansion draft regarding fringe players / prospects that they have picked to flesh out the farm team. Perhaps @mll knows?

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Quite an underwhelming list to pick from. 

I think Francis takes Holtby.

Holtby is a good asset for him to take and flip for picks. He may even line up a deal e.g., with Boston to do just that. 

45 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am not certain what rules apply to the expansion draft regarding fringe players / prospects that they have picked to flesh out the farm team. Perhaps @mll knows?

While I’m not 100% sure that this is correct but what I’ve been able to dig up is that, “Waivers go in to effect 12 days before the start of the regular season. They last until the day after a teams’ playing season.”

The NHL plans on starting the next season in October so my understanding would be that waivers don’t apply until 12 days before the season starts. 

this quote is from the hockey writers article here. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

I can’t see Seattle picking players like Lind if they can’t be put into the AHL. Likewise that would mean that the Canucks would have to put him on the NHL roster or lose him to waivers as well. Hopefully I am at least partially correct or at least make a little sense. 

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think they could benefit from taking Louie. They could artificially lower their cap to 75M, AND his actual pay is lower. This would give them a balloon of cap space next year when better UFAs are available. Without the struggle of trying to shed contracts. Plus they will be overwhelmed with so many decent contracts in the ED as it is. In effect, it gives them one less contract to worry about. 

They're going to have a glutton of riches even at a artificial 75M, and as a bonus Louie kills penalties. 

I agree 100%. If they throw in a 3rd rounder back to us we should definitely given them permission to take Loui. -_-

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Holtby is a good asset for him to take and flip for picks. He may even line up a deal e.g., with Boston to do just that. 

I'd take Holtby all day long. If he gets hot you have a stud.

If you suck, easy deadline deal. Seattle needs assets and they need them fast.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

If either Lindor Gadjovich is picked up by Seattle,  I am curious if they are subject to waivers?

I just don't see the both of them making the roster immediately due to the players Seattle can pick from.  But don't get me wrong, they are good prospects.  

I am certain if they are placed on waivers, the Canucks would be waiting to pounce.  

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

It looks like Lind will have to clear waivers this coming year while Gadjovich will not.  That might factor into who Seattle takes.  If Lind needs to be on the Kraken's 23 man roster at the start of the season they may not take him.  I think they are going to take Holtby.  I don't see them having much interest in Gadjovich as Nick Ritchie is available and they will most likely take him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'd take Holtby all day long. If he gets hot you have a stud.

If you suck, easy deadline deal. Seattle needs assets and they need them fast.

it makes more sense to me for Seattle to pick and flip Holtby than take one of our AHL level F's. Gad's may have upside but no ones trading you a pick for him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it makes more sense to me for Seattle to pick and flip Holtby than take one of our AHL level F's. Gad's may have upside but no ones trading you a pick for him. 

Yea I agree point being they are leveraging assets to gain more.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

People are seriously overhyping Lind and Gadjovich. Yea they are nice pieces, but by no means would we be losing a sure fire NHL level talent. We should be thankful that our options are for the most part low value. 

I agree.  In looking at the expansion lists we have probably one of the worst ones out there in terms of talent for Seattle to pick up.  I mean they are going to decide between Holtby, Virtanen, Highmore and two AHL players.  Meanwhile teams like Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal are exposing Ritchie, Foote, Zadorov, Tarasenko and Price.  Quite a bit of a difference I would say.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  In looking at the expansion lists we have probably one of the worst ones out there in terms of talent for Seattle to pick up.  I mean they are going to decide between Holtby, Virtanen, Highmore and two AHL players.  Meanwhile teams like Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal are exposing Ritchie, Foote, Zadorov, Tarasenko and Price.  Quite a bit of a difference I would say.

Just wondering do those teams you named have to protect franchise d in Quinn or second liner in hoglander?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And if they did the expansion draft when this team was a contender they’d probably have to expose just as many good players.

The fact that we’ve gone through two expansion drafts during a rebuild is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

I just don't see the both of them making the roster immediately due to the players Seattle can pick from.  But don't get me wrong, they are good prospects.  

I am certain if they are placed on waivers, the Canucks would be waiting to pounce.  

Theres way better forwards out there that will either be picked up or FA that Seattle will grab, my bet is either of those guys would get waived pretty quick.

• Cheers 1