Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic


2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

On 7/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, AbrasiveAjax said:

If your actually asking my opinion........?

There should no place for anyone except jail if they perpetrated sexual violence towards any woman.

 

What cave did you crawl out of?

We should allow due process to occurr for Jake.  It appears he has already been convicted guilty when the police investigation is not even complete.  

 

I believer we should let the justice system do its' work before we make judgment that Jake is a predator.  

 

 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 9:10 AM, nux_win said:

I'm hoping they pick Loui.  Maybe we can showcase how well he played elsewhere or maybe put some ribbons and bells on him to make him more appealing.  If they don't take him it will suck, but that's the nature of expansion drafts, they're likely going to pick someone that we want to keep.  We just need to get this over with as quickly as possible and move forward building a winning team.  Go Canucks Go!

 

P.S. - I hate the Las Vegas Golden Knights about as much as Bettman loves them.

I think they could benefit from taking Louie. They could artificially lower their cap to 75M, AND his actual pay is lower. This would give them a balloon of cap space next year when better UFAs are available. Without the struggle of trying to shed contracts. Plus they will be overwhelmed with so many decent contracts in the ED as it is. In effect, it gives them one less contract to worry about. 

They're going to have a glutton of riches even at a artificial 75M, and as a bonus Louie kills penalties. 

 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Can the Canucks just cancel his contract and get the cap back?  Has he breached his contract?

 

That would take a battle with the NHLPA. We are only out 50k against cap for the first year and 500k for second. Its not worth the fight.

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EastVanCanuck said:

If either Lindor Gadjovich is picked up by Seattle,  I am curious if they are subject to waivers?

I am not certain what rules apply to the expansion draft regarding fringe players / prospects that they have picked to flesh out the farm team. Perhaps @mll knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Quite an underwhelming list to pick from. 

 

I think Francis takes Holtby.

Holtby is a good asset for him to take and flip for picks. He may even line up a deal e.g., with Boston to do just that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am not certain what rules apply to the expansion draft regarding fringe players / prospects that they have picked to flesh out the farm team. Perhaps @mll knows?

While I’m not 100% sure that this is correct but what I’ve been able to dig up is that, “Waivers go in to effect 12 days before the start of the regular season. They last until the day after a teams’ playing season.”

The NHL plans on starting the next season in October so my understanding would be that waivers don’t apply until 12 days before the season starts. 
 

this quote is from the hockey writers article here. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

 

I can’t see Seattle picking players like Lind if they can’t be put into the AHL. Likewise that would mean that the Canucks would have to put him on the NHL roster or lose him to waivers as well. Hopefully I am at least partially correct or at least make a little sense. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think they could benefit from taking Louie. They could artificially lower their cap to 75M, AND his actual pay is lower. This would give them a balloon of cap space next year when better UFAs are available. Without the struggle of trying to shed contracts. Plus they will be overwhelmed with so many decent contracts in the ED as it is. In effect, it gives them one less contract to worry about. 

They're going to have a glutton of riches even at a artificial 75M, and as a bonus Louie kills penalties. 

 

I agree 100%. If they throw in a 3rd rounder back to us we should definitely given them permission to take Loui. -_-

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Holtby is a good asset for him to take and flip for picks. He may even line up a deal e.g., with Boston to do just that. 

I'd take Holtby all day long. If he gets hot you have a stud.

 

If you suck, easy deadline deal. Seattle needs assets and they need them fast.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

If either Lindor Gadjovich is picked up by Seattle,  I am curious if they are subject to waivers?

 

I just don't see the both of them making the roster immediately due to the players Seattle can pick from.  But don't get me wrong, they are good prospects.  

 

I am certain if they are placed on waivers, the Canucks would be waiting to pounce.  

 

 

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

 

It looks like Lind will have to clear waivers this coming year while Gadjovich will not.  That might factor into who Seattle takes.  If Lind needs to be on the Kraken's 23 man roster at the start of the season they may not take him.  I think they are going to take Holtby.  I don't see them having much interest in Gadjovich as Nick Ritchie is available and they will most likely take him.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'd take Holtby all day long. If he gets hot you have a stud.

 

If you suck, easy deadline deal. Seattle needs assets and they need them fast.

it makes more sense to me for Seattle to pick and flip Holtby than take one of our AHL level F's. Gad's may have upside but no ones trading you a pick for him. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it makes more sense to me for Seattle to pick and flip Holtby than take one of our AHL level F's. Gad's may have upside but no ones trading you a pick for him. 

Yea I agree point being they are leveraging assets to gain more.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

People are seriously overhyping Lind and Gadjovich. Yea they are nice pieces, but by no means would we be losing a sure fire NHL level talent. We should be thankful that our options are for the most part low value. 

I agree.  In looking at the expansion lists we have probably one of the worst ones out there in terms of talent for Seattle to pick up.  I mean they are going to decide between Holtby, Virtanen, Highmore and two AHL players.  Meanwhile teams like Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal are exposing Ritchie, Foote, Zadorov, Tarasenko and Price.  Quite a bit of a difference I would say.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  In looking at the expansion lists we have probably one of the worst ones out there in terms of talent for Seattle to pick up.  I mean they are going to decide between Holtby, Virtanen, Highmore and two AHL players.  Meanwhile teams like Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal are exposing Ritchie, Foote, Zadorov, Tarasenko and Price.  Quite a bit of a difference I would say.

Just wondering do those teams you named have to protect franchise d in Quinn or second liner in hoglander?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  In looking at the expansion lists we have probably one of the worst ones out there in terms of talent for Seattle to pick up.  I mean they are going to decide between Holtby, Virtanen, Highmore and two AHL players.  Meanwhile teams like Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal are exposing Ritchie, Foote, Zadorov, Tarasenko and Price.  Quite a bit of a difference I would say.

And if they did the expansion draft when this team was a contender they’d probably have to expose just as many good players.

 

The fact that we’ve gone through two expansion drafts during a rebuild is a good thing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...