The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can someone explain why the Kraken would take a bunch of goalies? If the idea is getting assets to flip them, wouldn't you get better return if you overloaded on defencemen like how Vegas did? 

Apparently the goalie market is hot right now compared to 2017

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can someone explain why the Kraken would take a bunch of goalies? If the idea is getting assets to flip them, wouldn't you get better return if you overloaded on defencemen like how Vegas did? 

Yep.   And with a glut of backups available plus prospects waiting their turn they wouldn't except create a good vaccuum.     With many teams having 4th D's up for grabs expect them to take as many as they can.   And as many good wingers or C's too.   They only have to take 3 goalies but will take four.   Look what happened to Vegas when they went to their fourth stringer.     But that's as far as it goes and maybe they take three and draft one right?    They've already got one from FLR. 

What i've heard they are going to do is leave a ton of cap.   So expect to see some Lind Gads picks on the way for sure.   Then go to free agency and use the draft to both finish off their roster and weaponize cap space.    Seen several  good mock rosters at 64-66 million.   Bishop makes a lot of sense.   There is a chance they pick JV or Holtby.   Holbty is probably more likely ... one more day tick tock. 

8 minutes ago, Karlsson`s Flo said:

Apparently the goalie market is hot right now compared to 2017

How so?   Look at all the UFA backups waiting for a contract still.   Reimer, Elliot, Greuber - all capable of starting for stretches too.   The list is 15 deep.  Not to mention the ones waiting their turn like MD etc.   Rask not being available to start the season... they won't create a massive vaccuum by taking 20 million of cap on by picking the best goalies, instead will be stuck with them.   Far better off picking as many D's as possible, trading them for picks and weaponizing cap space to fill out their roster with guys like Johnson, Killorn etc later.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

How so?   Look at all the UFA backups waiting for a contract still.   Reimer, Elliot, Greuber - all capable of starting for stretches too.   The list is 15 deep.  Not to mention the ones waiting their turn like MD etc.   Rask not being available to start the season... they won't create a massive vaccuum by taking 20 million of cap on by picking the best goalies, instead will be stuck with them.   Far better off picking as many D's as possible, trading them for picks and weaponizing cap space to fill out their roster with guys like Johnson, Killorn etc later.  

...Carey Price too! The Habs need a goalie by the sounds of it. Allen and ......?

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Last time it was Gaunce.   I think Gads should have been protected.   We will have to wait... 

Gaunce was what, 25 years old when the Vegas draft happened? He had stints with the Canucks over 3 seasons (114 games) and didn't make any sort of impression at all. If you want to dig a little deeper, Gaunce played two more years in the Ohl after his draft year, and continued to be at around a point per game. Lind immediately after his draft year put up nearly 2 points per game. 

So I don't think comparing Lind to Gaunce is fair. We'll see in 3 years when Lind is 25. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Theres way better forwards out there that will either be picked up or FA that Seattle will grab, my bet is either of those guys would get waived pretty quick.

What are the waiver rules with their selections though? Isn't the roster limit 23 players, yet they will be selecting 30. I assume Seattle would pick a few prospects with the intent of having them start in the minors. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Gaunce was what, 25 years old when the Vegas draft happened? He had stints with the Canucks over 3 seasons (114 games) and didn't make any sort of impression at all. If you want to dig a little deeper, Gaunce played two more years in the Ohl after his draft year, and continued to be at around a point per game. Lind immediately after his draft year put up nearly 2 points per game. 

So I don't think comparing Lind to Gaunce is fair. We'll see in 3 years when Lind is 25. 

The issue with selecting Lind is, although he’s still young a developing at 22, he must clear waivers to be sent to the minors.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think they take Holtby. 

The guy is still a solid goalie and is only 31. What he needs is to play a ton. He needs to be the guy.  He is also a solid veteran who would be a welcome addition in any room. 

I think they will take him. Get him a solid coach and if he has a good season they will resign him for a couple more. 

If they were really smart they would grab Wallstedt in the NHL draft. Start their franchise with a potential star in their net. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

That's not at all the point i was trying to make.   Last time the CDC was freaking out over the idea of losing Gaunce which was also part of the post.  ....should we be worried about Lind?  Don't think so.    I'm more worried about Gadjovich but he's a throwback our team needs truculence.    Hate to be playing the next decade against Gads if he's their William Karlsson i guess is my point too - I never "freaked out" over losing the "next Bergeron" ok that's hyperbole but some had really high hopes for Gaunce.   But i am worried about them taking Gads over Lind.    We need net presence.   TT didn't do that like Perry does.   It gets in other teams heads, rattles their D as well.    Our forward group is small.   And aside from Motte doesn't play bigger then they actually are including Miller.   Podz i have very high hopes for.    Lind is a dime a dozen and easily replaceable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

What are the waiver rules with their selections though? Isn't the roster limit 23 players, yet they will be selecting 30. I assume Seattle would pick a few prospects with the intent of having them start in the minors. 

Waivers will be same come season start, guys will be on waivers that don't cut the team and really I like both lind and Gad but I doubt the have a hope in hell of cracking opening night roster with the mock drafts I have seen.  Plus they will probably still sign another 15 or so guys who will be AHLers or NHL tweeners.  Sounded like they already had some contacts and possible contracts in place with UFAs from reading twitter last night.  

It'll be interesting to see, we'll get to compare their roster to ours soon enough.  Their D will probably look better right off the bat too.

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think they take Holtby. 

The guy is still a solid goalie and is only 31. What he needs is to play a ton. He needs to be the guy.  He is also a solid veteran who would be a welcome addition in any room. 

I think they will take him. Get him a solid coach and if he has a good season they will resign him for a couple more. 

If they were really smart they would grab Wallstedt in the NHL draft. Start their franchise with a potential star in their net. 

Hope your right ... but why would they take Holtby as their starter over Bishop?   Guys at a very friendly cap hit 4.9 .... and way way better stats the last three years.   One of the best in the entire league really.

Pavelski was the guy the Kraken anticipated they'd get.   When he waived to get picked basically,  it's almost a certainty he gets the job as number one.   Injuries have been a  concern for him, so maybe Holbty gets picked as a backup ... or to be flipped with retention at the TDL.   But spending close to 10 million doesn't make much sense when they could just load up on 4th Ds and trade them back instead.   

Edited by IBatch

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The issue with selecting Lind is, although he’s still young a developing at 22, he must clear waivers to be sent to the minors.

Same with Gads.   Would be absolutely perfect if we lost one of them, then picked them up on waivers wouldn't it lol.   Holtby and JV are their only for sure NHLers available to them.   Like or dislike or hate JB, you can't complain about the masterful job he's done protecting his D's.   Said it many times before and during the season, all he has to do to put a bow on last off season is make sure he doesn't need to expose either Schmidt or Myers.    He did that and for that i'm very grateful.    Lind and Gads were both guys that quite a few folks expected to go in the first round.   For sure they both have potential.   That doesn't compare to Tanner Pearson.   

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Russ said:

Waivers will be same come season start, guys will be on waivers that don't cut the team and really I like both lind and Gad but I doubt the have a hope in hell of cracking opening night roster with the mock drafts I have seen.  Plus they will probably still sign another 15 or so guys who will be AHLers or NHL tweeners.  Sounded like they already had some contacts and possible contracts in place with UFAs from reading twitter last night.  

It'll be interesting to see, we'll get to compare their roster to ours soon enough.  Their D will probably look better right off the bat too.

If they take Lind or Gadjovich they will let them come to training camp and then try and trade the group of tweeners they will certainly accrue before the season starts.   Maybe before training camp too.   Most models i've seen has them with an extra 20-16 in cap space.    Because they plan to use flat cap to their advantage and they plan to take a fair amount of tweeners too.     And it's surprising how good their lineups look like despite of this.    Canucks have a leg up on Seattle no matter what though.   I highly doubt they will end up as good as Vegas ended up.   Our core is built already, their team at best could be a Florida like team when they came in.   And will take a couple of years to gain some traction. 

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If they take Lind or Gadjovich they will let them come to training camp and then try and trade the group of tweeners they will certainly accrue before the season starts.   Maybe before training camp too.   Most models i've seen has them with an extra 20-16 in cap space.    Because they plan to use flat cap to their advantage and they plan to take a fair amount of tweeners too.     And it's surprising how good their lineups look like despite of this.    Canucks have a leg up on Seattle no matter what though.   I highly doubt they will end up as good as Vegas ended up.   Our core is built already, their team at best could be a Florida like team when they came in.   And will take a couple of years to gain some traction. 

Except for the blueline.  Huge hole there.  Goaltending & forwards we're sitting pretty for years to come obviously.  Might have to move someone there to fill a really noticeable hole on D.  Not going far in the playoffs with only a couple guys on defense that can play defense.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

The talking heads in the Kraken fanbase seem to be zeroing in on MacEwen.  3 seasons with NHL experience totalling 55 games ... big body ... can play up and down the lineup .. hits, and can drop 'em when necessary.  Would slot right into their 4th line.   That's their reasoning

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

The talking heads in the Kraken fanbase seem to be zeroing in on MacEwen.  3 seasons with NHL experience totalling 55 games ... big body ... can play up and down the lineup .. hits, and can drop 'em when necessary.  Would slot right into their 4th line.   That's their reasoning

*YOU* should be over there on their forum pumping the tires of Holtby!:mad:

:lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

One - absolutely serious - "expert" took Eriksson in his mock draft.  Called him their first line winger and cited his Dallas and Boston goals as rationale!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Some of my Palm Springs golfing buddies are Seattle "rainbirds"  - I've been wowing them with Rafferty highlights and they are lobbying furiously for him in their social media postings

• Cheers 2