The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Losing Jake for nothing does not sit well with me.

Many athletes have made terrible decisions in the past and gone on to very good careers.

Even if it is all true, I think 'we' have all been too quick to condemn him and now we're getting nothing for a high first round pick.

He will probably settle with the woman out of the public eye and then it will all be 'water under the bridge'.

Seattle will get an enigmatic but talented winger who is big, strong, fast, and knows how to hit hard.

Soon these personal problems will be almost totally forgotten imo, and Jake may well settle into a good career.

Yes.  And with the right  coach....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah could be. Maybe Edler?

I'm happy we protected Motte, but it would be sad seeing Gad's or Lind develop into a good player with Seattle. But all things considered its not so bad. 

Definitely a clear definitive line drawn between our core players protected/ ineligible, and others not as valuable to us.

New franchises in the NHL these days definitely get a chance to run on to the ice straight out of the dressing room these days..

include a top  blue chip  pick pick,.  Seattle is going to be crazy with hockey in town.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Definitely a clear definitive line drawn between our core players protected/ ineligible, and others not as valuable to us.

New franchises in the NHL these days definitely get a chance to run on to the ice straight out of the dressing room these days..

include a top  blue chip  pick pick,.  Seattle is going to be crazy with hockey in town.

Seattle might be competative right away if they select Price (depending on how much gas that guy has left in the tank as he can still play at a high level).  Depends on the quality of NHL D left exposed and/or who they might sign via free agency (Edler might be an option for them as it *IS* still close to Vancouver).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Seattle has a better opportunity for a good team right away than Vegas had. So we'll see what they do with it, its all about how much cap they want to take on. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Beagle is likely barely able to pass a physical right now.  "He's done like dinner" - Tiger Williams.

Source please?  What is the injury? What is the timeline for recovery?  Did he have surgery? 

4 minutes ago, seeteesee said:

So how does this work.. 

By us keeping EP40.. that must mean he signed a contract ???? And then us not protecting Quinn Hughes must mean he's still negotiating???

2nd year. Not eligible.

UFA EP that you are signing need to be protected but I do not see Ovie protected

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Losing Jake for nothing does not sit well with me.

Many athletes have made terrible decisions in the past and gone on to very good careers.

Even if it is all true, I think 'we' have all been too quick to condemn him and now we're getting nothing for a high first round pick.

He will probably settle with the woman out of the public eye and then it will all be 'water under the bridge'.

Seattle will get an enigmatic but talented winger who is big, strong, fast, and knows how to hit hard.

Soon these personal problems will be almost totally forgotten imo, and Jake may well settle into a good career.

End of story then, bye

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If I was Seattle, I wouldn't want any of those players.  They would be better off making a trade or a deal to take a player a with retention. 

The best for the Canucks is if they take the highest salaried player (Holtby).

Wouldn't that be LE?

4 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Source please?  What is the injury? What is the timeline for recovery?  Did he have surgery? 

Serious enough injury for him to be on LTIR for much of this season (season ending injury).  Will be 36 years old in October.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Available

Sven Baertschi (F)

Justin Bailey (F)

Jay Beagle (F)

Travis Boyd (F)

Loui Eriksson (F)

Jonah Gadjovich (F)

Tyler Graovac (F)

Jayce Hawryluk (F)

Matthew Highmore (F)

Lukas Jasek (F)

Kole Lind (F)

Zack MacEwen (F)

Petrus Palmu (F)

Antoine Roussel (F)

Brandon Sutter (F)

Jimmy Vesey (F)

Jake Virtanen (F)

Madison Bowey (D)

Guillaume Brisebois (D)

Jalen Chatfield (D)

Alexander Edler (D)

Travis Hamonic (D)

Brogan Rafferty (D)

Ashton Sautner (D)

Josh Teves (D)

Braden Holtby (G)

Protected

Brock Boeser (F)

Jason Dickinson (F)

Bo Horvat (F)

J.T. Miller (F)

Tyler Motte (F)

Tanner Pearson (F)

Elias Pettersson (F)

Olli Juolevi (D)

Tyler Myers (D)

Nate Schmidt (D)

Thatcher Demko (G)

Other than last minute addition of Dickinson and subtraction of Lind; that is who I had pegged as being protected. It looks like the Kraken will have lots of established NHL players to choose from as well as goalies so my bet is on Lind or Gadjovich getting picked.

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You’re right. He has us fans tainted but he is the best player on that list 

Jake, Jared, Troy and Adam could all be Kraken Tuesday.  Crazy! 

Edited by Alflives

10 minutes ago, seeteesee said:

So how does this work.. 

By us keeping EP40.. that must mean he signed a contract ???? And then us not protecting Quinn Hughes must mean he's still negotiating???

Hughes is exempt from the draft 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Honestly, people shouldn't be surprised if they take Holtby. There is legit interest in him from several teams and Seattle might take advantage of that. They could take him and then flip him immediately, or at the trade deadline. I don't know why people think it can't happen.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Honestly, people shouldn't be surprised if they take Holtby. There is legit interest in him from several teams and Seattle might take advantage of that. They could take him and then flip him immediately, or at the trade deadline. I don't know why people think it can't happen.

I think they will take Price honestly. Great boost to ticket revenue. Plus had a great season. So, they could take Holtby to immediately trade but not to be a starter.