The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

It sounds like Seattle will pick a few players, then flip them to gain more assets. With that in mind, I was wondering what it would take for Seattle to pick Zadorov from Chicago and flip him to us? Or will they only do that with the high end players to gain as much as possible. Half billion dollar catbird seat.

I think us trading for a d man like Z or several other d men from Seattle makes a lot of sense. It may cost a draft pick or prospect but I think it would be worth it. 

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah I have read this speculation.  I doubt it will hold true.

Holtby was sold on coming here by presenting a expansion draft ''un=friendly'' contract. So it would be less likely he be selected? I doubt they will contradict that good faith by paying Seattle to take him. 

In the summer of 2022 we will want to carry a good reputation in to the free agent market. 

Yeah the whole salary retention thing doesn’t make sense. Canucks still have to spend money to get a backup if Holtby is taken. The only reason to do that would be so Holtby is taken and we keep others. 

Things Is in the grand scheme of things it’s pretty meh who Seattle takes from us. If it’s salary awesome. If it’s Lind well we still probably made out better then most teams. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

I don't think this is true.  Gadjovich I believe is waiver exempt for next year.  He signed his entry level contract when he was 18 so his contract slides for 2 years until he is 20.  So he's into his 3rd year of his contract for 2021-2022.  Lind on the other hand signed his contract when he was 19 and was turning 20 prior to the end of the year so his contract didn't slide and he is now an RFA.  So he is not waiver exempt for 2021-2022.  @mll can you confirm?

This, from Pro Hockey Rumours, June 13 ...

"The two names remaining are prospects Gadjovich and Lind. Both 2017 second-round picks, Gadjovich and Lind are each high-scoring junior products who have improved every year in the pros and were point-per-game players in the AHL this year, as well as seeing their first NHL action. Both should see increased roles next year with the Canucks, potentially ahead of any of the aforementioned bubble forwards. The upside is certainly greater for either scoring winger than any of the group outside of possibly a resurgent Virtanen. If Seattle was to select either one, they would not be selecting “prospects”. Both will lose their waiver exemption next season. If the Kraken want to take and keep Gadjovich or Lind, they would need to be prepared to hand them a roster spot, as neither would be likely to clear waivers. This calculus would of course change if the Kraken plant to select then trade one of the promising young players."

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

I don't think this is true.  Gadjovich I believe is waiver exempt for next year.  He signed his entry level contract when he was 18 so his contract slides for 2 years until he is 20.  So he's into his 3rd year of his contract for 2021-2022.  Lind on the other hand signed his contract when he was 19 and was turning 20 prior to the end of the year so his contract didn't slide and he is now an RFA.  So he is not waiver exempt for 2021-2022.  @mll can you confirm?

Both require waivers. Go to cap friendly and use their waiver calculator. You can filter by players requiring waivers and players exempt. Both show as requiring waivers 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The good news is that only Toronto can give Hyman 8-years as new teams can only offer a max of 7-years.  The bad news is that 7-years is still a lot of time.

Personally, I would like to believe that management has learned its lesson and the Canucks won't end up handing out a 7-year term to a UFA but it's certainly a possibility.

If Seattle uses their Toronto pick to sign Hyman  they would be able to sign him to an 8 year contract.  Same goes for any UFA they choose prior to the expansion draft 

Edited by qwijibo

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This, from Pro Hockey Rumours, June 13 ...

"The two names remaining are prospects Gadjovich and Lind. Both 2017 second-round picks, Gadjovich and Lind are each high-scoring junior products who have improved every year in the pros and were point-per-game players in the AHL this year, as well as seeing their first NHL action. Both should see increased roles next year with the Canucks, potentially ahead of any of the aforementioned bubble forwards. The upside is certainly greater for either scoring winger than any of the group outside of possibly a resurgent Virtanen. If Seattle was to select either one, they would not be selecting “prospects”. Both will lose their waiver exemption next season. If the Kraken want to take and keep Gadjovich or Lind, they would need to be prepared to hand them a roster spot, as neither would be likely to clear waivers. This calculus would of course change if the Kraken plant to select then trade one of the promising young players."

Interesting. Gadjovich signed his contract before Lind but it shows on CapFriendly that is slides for 2 years so he still has one year left on his ELC.  Lind on the other hand has finished his entry level contract and is now an RFA.  So the question is when does the entry level contract start for the purposes of waivers?  This website seems to suggest it starts AFTER the contract slides:

Waivers & Entry-Level Contracts for Dummies - Raw Charge

32 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Both require waivers. Go to cap friendly and use their waiver calculator. You can filter by players requiring waivers and players exempt. Both show as requiring waivers 

Yeah good call.  CapFriendly does break it down.  Thanks.

If Gadjovich needs to clear waivers then I think Seattle takes Holtby...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

On 7/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, steviewonder20 said:

It will be interesting to see if he is grabbed off waivers as it’s not likely he’d make their opening night roster.

The only thing is who else is available on the waiver wire at the same time. I imagine there's going to be a lot of decent players passing through waivers and the smartest thing to do as a GM is to time it with other teams so teams have to get choosy with who they pick. 

Now that the draft is history, the respective teams would be wise to practice skills leading into the preseason in september

getting immunized from covid-19 now means a safer time at the arena to cheer the canuck on