The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this isn't the 80s, no one is picking a guy under investigation for assault. Maybe if it was all cleared up but certainly not in the middle of it all. 

Investigation of Sexual assault 

23 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You cannot seem to separate the value of the player to the team from the personal issues.

I do not in any way condone violence perpetrated on anyone (outside of gameplay).

All I am saying is we could have got something for Jake before exposing him to the expansion draft.

It should be obvious to any adult that the actions in her claim (if true, and they probably are) are abhorrent.

Jake has zero value right now. Last summer if someone offered a 3rd round pick for him, he would have been gone.

The only reason he hasn't been bought out yet, is because we're waiting to see if they will take him in expansion and save us the trouble of buying him out.

Jake won't play another game in Vancouver, and will very likely be playing in the KHL next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'm hoping they pick Loui.  Maybe we can showcase how well he played elsewhere or maybe put some ribbons and bells on him to make him more appealing.  If they don't take him it will suck, but that's the nature of expansion drafts, they're likely going to pick someone that we want to keep.  We just need to get this over with as quickly as possible and move forward building a winning team.  Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - I hate the Las Vegas Golden Knights about as much as Bettman loves them.

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Do you think Benning just sat on JV and didn’t try to move him? Of course he tried. If the rumoured plan is to buy him out then it’s pretty obvious the intention was to trade him first but there were just no takers. 

Agreed.  Benning is still trying to move Jake and he won't buy him out until the last minute if he can't move him.  There are many more dominoes to fall before they get to that point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just like someone else said, I’m not losing sleep over any of these players exposed.

pick that will help the Canucks over all situation: LE

pick the will help the Canucks and might actually happen: Holtby

pick that I don’t think will happen but might appear to look like a good pick: Jake (big red flag, unfortunately there may be Visa and border issues down the road. I definitely wouldn’t take a chance)

pick that a Canuck fan thinks Seattle should pick: Gadj

Pick from left field: Sutter

pick who I hope for: Holtby 

who Seattle actually picks: Highmore (just cause, you know, Seattle might pick Guadette)

Go Canucks!

• Like 1

Best case scenario: they take Jake, we flip Holtby to Chicago for Zadorov (or similar deal), resign all the guys we need to, might have some cash left over for a bottom 6 forward, grab Brossoit cheaply.

What's probably going to happen: Lind gets taken and no one wants Holtby anymore.

Also realistic: Holtby gets taken and we hopefully sign a cheap goalie but can only afford a declining Halak.

Many things could happen but I trust JB will react appropriately, regardless of what occurs, still lots to be done.

Virtanen might be a bit of a wildcard here in terms of getting selected.  Produced 18 goals not too long ago and has a 2.5 million dollar cap hit.  If he doesn’t pan out he’s only with them for one year anyways.  Jake in a new environment in a post Covid world could be a huge steal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bertuzzi44fan said:

Who is Dickinson and why haven't I ever heard of him?lol

I'd think that over the past COVID year and a half with limited coverage, not many have heard much about him.

I hadn't seen any Stars' games this year at all.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

The real question is does Seattle take Price?

If they so I doubt they grab Holtby.

I would be surprised if they took Price. The cap is going to remain at 81.5 million for at least another 4 seasons. Would you really want to commit 12% of your cap to an aging goalie who has been having increasing problems with injuries?

Exposing Price is a pretty safe bet for Montreal.