The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I like that Sportsnet is marketing Loui for us in their "notables""

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-expansion-draft-protected-lists-released-price-tarasenko-exposed/

"And you can have this 1985 model Loui Eriksson for a steal.  He makes exceptional memes, comes with all the little things you'd expect and he can score an EN goal like nobody's business.  Get your Loui today at this incredible expansion day pricing before he's GONE".

If the Kraken take Loui, I think Canucks fans need to sign a massive Thank you letter to Ron Francis. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Why?

What is the agenda.  A player taken at 9th will be ten times more valuable then any ufa you will land for 6 mil.

Why would you give that up for one year of cap space?

That would be tge dumbest move Jim ever made.

Excellent, you have finally come to see the true value of Juolevi and Virtanen.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Why?

What is the agenda.  A player taken at 9th will be ten times more valuable then any ufa you will land for 6 mil.

Why would you give that up for one year of cap space?

That would be tge dumbest move Jim ever made.

He has to clear cap space.  He has said that the 9th is in play (not specifically, but when asked if it is on the table, said "everything is in play"). Using the 9th to acquire a D or a "hefty" forward does nothing but add to the cap problem.  A swap of draft picks does nothing to help the cap either.  If in play, it can realistically only be with Seattle to entice them to take cap off our hands.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I would I think.

Jersey sales alone you would make killer money.

Jersey sales make money, they don't win cups.

You have to think in terms of filling out a competitive roster within the constraints of a cap that won't go up until at least the 2024/25 season.

12% is a major handicap.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Jersey sales make money, they don't win cups.

You have to think in terms of filling out a competitive roster within the constraints of a cap that won't go up until at least the 2024/25 season.

12% is a major handicap.

Depends on what your owner wants. Owner might want a 5 year cash flow positive plan instead of cups.

I know that sounds dumb to fans but money means a lot. And no, gunning for cups does not always mean profit.

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I like that Sportsnet is marketing Loui for us in their "notables""

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-expansion-draft-protected-lists-released-price-tarasenko-exposed/

"And you can have this 1985 model Loui Eriksson for a steal.  He makes exceptional memes, comes with all the little things you'd expect and he can score an EN goal like nobody's business.  Get your Loui today at this incredible expansion day pricing before he's GONE".

(We'll throw in a Jake if you sign on today on the NHL HSN)

Wasn't it L.E. who was dragged through the media in a somewhat Hostile way back when he first got here for hunting and shooting a big game animal for sport?

Makes me wonder if that played on his psyche enough to be part of the reason for his dramatic and substantial decline? like a subconscious "i will never score a meaningful goal fo these people for the duration of my contract" kind of mindset? hrmmmmm

edit: might have been Booth. my memory is fuzzy. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this isn't the 80s, no one is picking a guy under investigation for assault. Maybe if it was all cleared up but certainly not in the middle of it all. 

Best case scenario for the Canucks as I see it...

-Kraken takes Holtby.  Clears up $4.3M cap space.

-Virtanen gets traded for a 7th round draft pick in a future draft.  Not likely to happen since Mike Milbury is no longer a GM in the NHL...so other options for Virtanen: terminated for cause (best option 1A - clears up $2.55M cap space); bought out (best option 1B - costs $50K for 2021-22 and $500K for 2022-23).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Depends on what your owner wants. Owner might want a 5 year cash flow positive plan instead of cups.

I know that sounds dumb to fans but money means a lot. And no, gunning for cups does not always mean profit.

You make a LOT more money as an owner through deep playoff runs than anything. 

Deep playoff runs is pure positive revenue, you're not paying the players anymore as their contracts are based around regular season play. Your team merchandising goes through the roof because fans are excited.

• Cheers 3