The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks release protected list for expansion draft

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2021 Expansion Draft  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Kraken pick from the Canucks?

• Sven Baertschi (F)
    • Justin Bailey (F)
    • Jay Beagle (F)
    • Travis Boyd (F)
    • Loui Eriksson (F)
    • Jonah Gadjovich (F)
    • Tyler Graovac (F)
    • Jayce Hawryluk (F)
    • Matthew Highmore (F)
    • Lukas Jasek (F)
    • Kole Lind (F)
    • Zack MacEwen (F)
    • Petrus Palmu (F)
    • Antoine Roussel (F)
    • Brandon Sutter (F)
    • Jimmy Vesey (F)
    • Jake Virtanen (F)
    • Madison Bowey (D)
    • Guillaume Brisebois (D)
    • Jalen Chatfield (D)
    • Alexander Edler (D)
    • Travis Hamonic (D)
    • Brogan Rafferty (D)
    • Ashton Sautner (D)
    • Josh Teves (D)
    • Braden Holtby (G)

This poll is closed to new votes

48 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That was Booth....he was baiting the animals as I recall.  My father/brother are hunters and I've always hated it.  But they do it fair and square and they eat every single thing they kill...no trophies.  They don't even take pictures....it's all business to them.

I just feel he doesn't have any "killer instinct" at all....for some, it comes naturally but he just seems like a laid back/chill guy.  That doesn't always translate well into competitive sports.  Especially a guy into his "golden years" of his career.  Just seeing it through.

Wasn't LE as they don't know how to load a gun let alone fire it. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Jake was on the fast track to buyout town  before all of this. Fact is, he sucks. 

I wouldn't say he sucks...I'd say he just didn't live up to his potential (yet?), likely due to a lack of total focus and commitment.   

Sad because a bit of "fame" can become a huge distraction.  I had high hopes for Jake.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

With all the crap JB takes I think he and his team did a very good job managing the assets to get to this point.  There is nobody on this list that will affect the team greatly if we lose them and we might get lucky and gain some meaningful cap space. 

Agreed, that was my first thought. I am not going to complain about anyone on that list moving on. Jake would be a waste (100% his fault), but at this point, not a loss. 

15 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Jake was on the fast track to buyout town  before all of this. Fact is, he sucks. 

Bad take, imo.

He has played 317 regular season games and 16 in the play offs.

Players that suck don't get drafted or play in the AHL or NHL.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Bad take, imo.

I see your point and raise you a Nail Yakupov.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I see your point and raise you a Nail Yakupov.

He and Jake lasted/have lasted long enough to earn the NHL pension.

I suck at hockey, anyone that played even a game in the show did not suck.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the Kraken take Loui, I think Canucks fans need to sign a massive Thank you letter to Ron Francis. 

If Seattle takes Loui, we'll throw in a half-dozen Vancouver Police officers to help Seattle address their depleted ranks. When it comes to dumping Loui, you gotta think outside the box. 

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Bad take, imo.

Fact is, he has the physical traits, but not the mental aptitude to put it all together. No hockey IQ, vision or defensive acumen. 

The reason he has played so many games is because of the organization investing such a high pick in him, and his physical traits seeming to fill such a need for us. After he's bought out, he probably signs a 1 year 1 million deal somewhere as a decent 4th line player. Even then, I'd rather have someone who plays better D, or play more physical consistently. 

26 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

The one good thing to come of all this is we'll never have to see anyone pump his tires again. It was getting pretty tiring watching people constantly defend him, to the point of actually suggesting he was better than Nylander or should be playing higher than Boeser in the lineup. Give me a break.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

You make a LOT more money as an owner through deep playoff runs than anything. 

Deep playoff runs is pure positive revenue, you're not paying the players anymore as their contracts are based around regular season play. Your team merchandising goes through the roof because fans are excited.

Totally - but that does not incorporate risk.

For example, Van spends to the cap and has a total of $NIL for ticket sales since 2014? Good business plan there.....however 43 and 40 sell just like Price.

So I guess you need a bit of both....sexy players sell tickets before the season even starts.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

He has to clear cap space.  He has said that the 9th is in play (not specifically, but when asked if it is on the table, said "everything is in play"). Using the 9th to acquire a D or a "hefty" forward does nothing but add to the cap problem.  A swap of draft picks does nothing to help the cap either.  If in play, it can realistically only be with Seattle to entice them to take cap off our hands.

You don't use a high pick to clear cap space. They can move or buy out Holtby and Jake for this year.

Next year there will be a ton cleared up without wasting any assets. 

He never said he would use the 9th to clear cap space . He said that everything was on the table but if the pick was in play it would be for a young player coming back.

If Seattle are smart, they take Jake.

We started being more competitive when we moved Jake up to play with Bo and Pearson. He was starting to do the right things and go to the right places without the puck. I also think that this incident will be the one that finally gets through to him. He will have something to prove wherever he lands.

patrick kane was accused of drugging and raping a woman. That is far more egregious and he is still playing. I don't condone anything, I just believe that he will still go on to have a solid career. I made the same prediction about Kassian when everyone was agreeing that he was done in the NHL.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If Seattle is smart, they take Jake.

We started being more competitive when we moved Jake up to play with Bo and Pearson. He was starting to do the right things and go to the right places without the puck. I also think that this incident will be the one that finally gets through to him. He will have something to prove wherever he lands.

patrick kane was accused of drugging and raping a woman. That is far more egregious and he is still playing. I don't condone anything, I just believe that he will still go on to have a solid career. I made the same prediction about Kassian when everyone was agreeing that he was done in the NHL.

Highest potential to have a value boost and then flip later.

I voted for Lind initially but upon reflection after looking at the rest of the league's protection lists -- I wouldn't be shocked if Brogan Rafferty is the guy the Kraken take.

Rafferty is a UFA, unlikely to re-sign in Vancouver, but would sign in Seattle. He's a guy that Seattle can re-sign for cheap and make either the 7th D man or the first callup (I doubt if Rafferty is waived in September he'd get claimed). Rafferty is one season removed from being the top rookie defenseman in the AHL and the highest point getting rookie defenseman in the AHL. He did bounce around between the taxi squad, NHL club, and AHL club last season and only got into one game between the three of them so there is that. He clearly deserves a chance and it is insane the Canucks didn't try and utilize Rafferty more last season... especially since they're now in a defenseman squeeze with Hamonic and Edler probably walking.

If the Kraken go defense forward, which was Ron Francis's M.O. in Carolina, Rafferty makes sense for them to take a flier on over Lind or Gadjovich who they'd likely lose on waivers if they don't make the big club out of training camp (and is a risk the Canucks will have to take next season too anyways).

• Cheers 1