The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protected list from teams around the NHL

Rate this topic

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why buy out Palat if they can move his contract to a team that needs him and lets them shed the contract entirely as well as having a cap dump in Johnson.

because the price might be way too high. you're suggesting something reasonable, but Seattle might be demanding a 1st too to grease the wheels. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Toronto did the trade to give Seattle someone to take other than Kerfoot

They could have just protected Kerfoot though.

Holl isn’t that good. The only ones that hype him are Leafs media.

58 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-protected-list-for-2021-nhl-seattle-expansion-draft/c-325681840

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Available
Sven Baertschi (F)
Justin Bailey (F)
Jay Beagle (F)
Travis Boyd (F)
Loui Eriksson (F)
Jonah Gadjovich (F)
Tyler Graovac (F)
Jayce Hawryluk (F)
Matthew Highmore (F)
Lukas Jasek (F)
Kole Lind (F)
Zack MacEwen (F)
Petrus Palmu (F)
Antoine Roussel (F)
Brandon Sutter (F)
Jimmy Vesey (F)
Jake Virtanen (F)
Madison Bowey (D)
Guillaume Brisebois (D)
Jalen Chatfield (D)
Alexander Edler (D)
Travis Hamonic (D)
Brogan Rafferty (D)
Ashton Sautner (D)
Josh Teves (D)
Braden Holtby (G)

Protected
Brock Boeser (F)
Jason Dickinson (F)
Bo Horvat (F)
J.T. Miller (F)
Tyler Motte (F)
Tanner Pearson (F)
Elias Pettersson (F)
Olli Juolevi (D)
Tyler Myers (D)
Nate Schmidt (D)
Thatcher Demko (G)

Am I the only one who thinks it's horse poo-poo that the VGK are exempt from this?  Why?  Shouldn't get special treatment after they're in.  I mean, they're allowed to trade players, etc.  So wth?

That's what a half a billion dollars buys these days apparently.

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Forgive my ignorance, can someone outline the basic steps of this expansion draft?

The protection lists have been released.  The Kraken now have until Wednesday morning to make their picks among the players left exposed.  They are allowed to make side deals with the different teams.  Their picks and trades will be announced on Wednesday 5pm PT.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

I don't get why Washington would leave Alex Ovechkin exposed. Any explanations on that?

Because he’s a UFA, and he’s not going to sign with anyone else anyway. Why waste a spot on someone who, if taken, would turn around and sign back with your team anyway?

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Because he’s a UFA, and he’s not going to sign with anyone else anyway. Why waste a spot on someone who, if taken, would turn around and sign back with your team anyway?

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot about him being a UFA. So he did Washington a huge favour there.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot about him being a UFA. So he did Washington a huge favour there.

Going through the lists on CapFriendly, there looks to be only 3 UFAs that were protected: Ullmark (BUF), Grubauer (COL) and Armia (MTL). 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Going through the lists on CapFriendly, there looks to be only 3 UFAs that were protected: Ullmark (BUF), Grubauer (COL) and Armia (MTL). 

After protecting the 6 forwards they needed too Montreal only had 2 qualifying forwards left.  Byron and Drouin. They pretty much had to use a spot protecting Armia.  That said I hope they actually to re-sign him 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

its interesting to see the approach this time by GMs, basically daring Seattle to take money and term. I wonder if we'd see this sans covid, or if the cap was 87 million instead of 81.

The Canucks really don't have to make a deal with Seattle, which is a good place to be in. There should be some good trade opportunities for them on Thursday afternoon too. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yep but I would still take the risk by selecting Ovi. 

38 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Seconded 

As well, though, some of that talent is high-priced.  Seattle has to iive under the cap too

They do, but there are some solid building blocks available to them. Yes cap space is gold right now, but I think some GM's are making mistakes in who they are protecting/exposing.

I think they should take Price.  It's a bad contract, but they can make him the face of the franchise like vegas did with Fleury and make up a lot of value in tickets and merchandise sales.  They should also take a flyer on tarasenko since there's only 2 years left on that deal. Giordano is a no brainer with only 1 year left too.  Gourde should be the tampa pick.  Lots of intriguing names on this list compared to the list vegas chose from.  I'll be very interested too see which underperforming big name contracts they choose to take.

• Thanks 1