The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protected list from teams around the NHL

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yep but I would still take the risk by selecting Ovi. 

You don't have to risk, if you're Seattle, you a already free to talk to him. If you can convince him to sign, great. If you can't, you're wasting a pick.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

Interesting NYI exposed Bailey and Eberle but protected Clutterbuck. Bailey had 33 points in the last 2 playoffs.

For me, those two and Price are the most surprising players to be exposed.

I know the Islanders 4th line is a big part of their team, but hard to justify losing a great playoff performer in Bailey, or a player that works well with Barzal in Eberle.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I know the Islanders 4th line is a big part of their team, but hard to justify losing a great playoff performer in Bailey, or a player that works well with Barzal in Eberle.

Lou Lam is the King of GMs.  He has that Islander team competing for Cups.  Incredible the Loser Leafs forced him out so they could go with Dubas.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Islanders are by far the biggest losers in this expansion draft, as you highlighted.

They had to pony up to get rid of Andrew Ladd's 5.5 million dollar contract, by sacrificing a second round pick for this year, 2022, AND a 3rd round pick for 2023. For nothing. Let that sink in.

On top of this, they potentially lose Bailey, who as you said was tremendous this playoffs, but so was Eberle.

I dunno if there's anything else.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Islanders are by far the biggest losers in this expansion draft, as you highlighted.

They had to pony up to get rid of Andrew Ladd's 5.5 million dollar contract, by sacrificing a second round pick for this year, 2022, AND a 3rd round pick for 2023. For nothing. Let that sink in.

On top of this, they potentially lose Bailey, who as you said was tremendous this playoffs, but so was Eberle.

I dunno if there's anything else.

Yep...As crappy as LE's contract was its still a year shorter than Ladd and lucic's. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its interesting to see the approach this time by GMs, basically daring Seattle to take money and term. I wonder if we'd see this sans covid, or if the cap was 87 million instead of 81.

The Canucks really don't have to make a deal with Seattle, which is a good place to be in. There should be some good trade opportunities for them on Thursday afternoon too. 

There could be some players they like.  Might be cheaper through Seattle and some players might not otherwise be available.

Last time Vegas made their picks and then tried to trade their excess players - they had some players who found no takers like Pulkkinen who then spent the season in the AHL.

With the flat cap, Seattle might prefer to already know they have a trade partner for their excess selections or they might simply pick a UFA rather than have too many players on their hands - better to get a return than nothing.

• Vintage 1