The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Adam Larsson to test FA

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I didn't find Hamonic slow at all towards the end of the season. I think he found his footing quite well and was the best overall defenseman on the team by time things wrapped up. 

I guess we differ on opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Hamonic a lot I just find he doesn't ever move with much quickness, which is fine in itself. Not every hockey player is fast. I don't find it to be a detriment because he is very good positionally and sees the game well. I prefer speed over nastiness I guess. Larsson had the 2nd most blocks and10th most hits in the NHL last year. They don't all have to be bone crushers to be effective.

I agree on the bolded 100%

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess we differ on opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Hamonic a lot I just find he doesn't ever move with much quickness, which is fine in itself. Not every hockey player is fast. I don't find it to be a detriment because he is very good positionally and sees the game well. I prefer speed over nastiness I guess. Larsson had the 2nd most blocks and10th most hits in the NHL last year. They don't all have to be bone crushers to be effective.

I agree on the bolded 100%

2nd most blocks in the league? Wow. That's impressive. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Got agree with Bertuzzi here. I want the younger, tougher, better RHD defender as compared to a better bottom 6 winger ... although the more I think about it, it's very close as to what the better move might be. It seems as if Larsson is more of a sure thing though.

All depends on your assessment of the players.  I thought Hamonic was pretty good by the end of his stint here, really from the time he came back from injury.  Maybe not quite as strong a defender as Larsson but close, just as mobile and better offensively.  I just don't see 2 mil worth of difference there.  If we're looking at a big ticket item, I'd rather wait on Parayko.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

All depends on your assessment of the players.  I thought Hamonic was pretty good by the end of his stint here, really from the time he came back from injury.  Maybe not quite as strong a defender as Larsson but close, just as mobile and better offensively.  I just don't see 2 mil worth of difference there.  If we're looking at a big ticket item, I'd rather wait on Parayko.

I agree with everything except the mobility part. Even though he's a good defender Hamonic has always seemed a little bit of a lumbering giant to me. I'd way rather get Parayko but I don't think that's happening.

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Parayko could be re-signed by St. Louis. Hopefully not, but more than likely.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Harmonic at 3.5 uggh honestly thats a rip off for a bottom 5 or 6 defenseman imo

Yeah, but he played better than a 5-6 once back from injury.  And 3.5 is probably the most he'll get:  less if there's some term.  The question is whether Larsson is hypothetically worth 2 mil more than Hamonic.  I don't think he is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

2nd most blocks in the league? Wow. That's impressive. 

Not always a good sign though - could also mean that they can't get out of their own end.  Someone compared 'blocking shots to killing rats, you have to do it but if you do it all the time you have a bigger problem'.  

Same issue with hitting.  A hit is a check that separates a player from the puck.  Some arenas have a very free definition of hitting - it's one of the most unreliable stats.  Still, if a player hits a lot it might also mean that they don't often have the puck.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Parayko could be re-signed by St. Louis. Hopefully not, but more than likely.

Agreed.  And it will probably be somewhere around 7 mil + which is way more bang for the buck than Larsson at 5.5 to 6.  But that's what happens when scarce RD hit free agency.  We really need to be drafting and developing our own.

• Vintage 1

Just now, mll said:

Not always a good sign though - could also mean that they can't get out of their own end.  Someone compared 'blocking shots to killing rats, you have to do it but if you do it all the time you have a bigger problem'.  

Yeah, it's just impressive that Larsson would let that many puck hit him. 

Just now, mll said:

Same issue with hitting.  A hit is a check that separates a player from the puck.  Some arenas have a very free definition of hitting - it's one of the most unreliable stats.  Still, if a player hits a lot it might also mean that they don't often have the puck.

Some players hit a lot because they're without the puck. That sounds like Larsson. I prefer the player that picks their spots and uses hits to their full advantage. Where do you sit with Larsson as an FA? Would you want the team to take a crack at signing him?

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed.  And it will probably be somewhere around 7 mil + which is way more bang for the buck than Larsson at 5.5 to 6.  But that's what happens when scarce RD hit free agency.  We really need to be drafting and developing our own.

Agreed, as well. Parayko would be a great player to get. He is in his late 20's but is still a workhorse and true #1 right handed defenseman. Having Shaw on the coaching staff might help to entice him, if he does go to free agency next summer.

I would prefer to draft and develop some defensemen too. Hughes and Rathbone have been great, but it would be nice to see the team draft some more imposing defensemen too, and not lose them to the KHL.

• Cheers 1

Eliote Friedman on 650 rn confirming he thinks Larsson is going to entertain the Canucks and give it a solid look!

pretty excited he’s the perfect guy for Hughes and for us.

perfect landing spot 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Eliote Friedman on 650 rn confirming he thinks Larsson is going to entertain the Canucks and give it a solid look!

You mean the Friedman who guaranteed Eagle was gone 2 years ago and that Gallager out of Mtl was a done deal....that Friedman?

• Haha 2

I hope we sign Larsson and Hamonic. 
Reason being, if Larsson is paired with QH, and heaven forbid, AL goes down with injury, at least we have another D partner for Hughes to step up into the role where both players have familiarity. 

This is all contingent of the salary being realistic for Hamonic and not overpaying where that money could go towards a Zadorov or Savard.

Imho, Hamonic has no more place in a consistent top four role save for emergency/injury fill basis, but he’s a solid add to any D corps.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

for context, edler was 4th. last year, edler and tanev were 3rd and 4th.

As a result of spending the majority of the time in our own end not clearing the puck.

High blocked shot totals are not necessarily a good thing…

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Impressive as well, but as @mllpointed out, that meant that they were stuck in their own end quite a bit in order to have those numbers. 

definitely. same deal applies more or less the same to everyone. you can't block a shot if you have the puck, after all.