The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Adam Larsson to test FA

I like the player a lot BUT the Canucks need to get him at a reasonable rate. No 6x6 bull$&!#. 

A fair deal would be 4 years at 5 million per. The Canucks need to lose money somehow tho. 

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Better

If we could trade Myers or Schmidt it would be ideal!

48 minutes ago, billabong said:

Zadorov is high on my wishlist right now 

A contract comparable is probably a Carlo at 4.1m or Dillon at 3.9m 

His puck skills aren’t the best but he’s one of the most punishing hitters in the game to make up for it

I don’t rate Zadorov, big hitter yes but not that great a Dman and with the defence we have we need them to all be very good positionally aware players especially knowing where your smaller puck moving counterpart is.

I think we could get more creative than Larsson but he is available without giving up assets, and I would trust him a lot more.

Zadorov would just be a bottom pairing liability and one that’s not cheap for that role either 

49 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed... for 5 mill I'd rather buy a D-Man engram and see if it decrypts into David Savard. 

I dont think it's our destiny lol

Still only 28, righty, physical shutdown guy, literally the perfect player for the Canucks right now and in the future to play with Hughes/Rathbone.

He was on a 3M contract, isn't very flashy but plays top pairing Edler-like minutes. JB better go hard for him.

I'd give him 5M x 5 years no question. Looking at Myers/Edler/Schmidt contracts he probably deserves 6M but we could argue it's the Covid cap that brings it down a notch.

Problem is we should really resign Hamonic and he deserves about 2-3M on the open market, so Larsson might just be a replacement/upgrade on Hamonic and that'd be fine too.

Hughes - Larsson

Schmidt - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

That'd be much nicer than no Hamonic, having Juolevi and Rathbone both in the lineup full-time and then we're just 1 injury away from carnage/Chatfield.

JB has shown he is prioritising defence with the Dickinson trade, now Larsson would be the perfect next step.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I have to think the Sedins have had a hand in convincing him not to sign with the Oilers and instead wait to sign with us!!

No other team than Edmonton is allowed to talk to him.  Teams have maybe hinted at his agent that they would be interested but they have to be prudent as it's considered tampering.  

23 minutes ago, mll said:

No other team than Edmonton is allowed to talk to him.  Teams have maybe hinted at his agent that they would be interested but they have to be prudent as it's considered tampering.  

Larsson has the same agent as Petey and Quinn, J.P. Barry.  I'm sure there have been some conversations behind the scenes.  The fact that Larsson is already snubbing the Oilers is telling.  Barry I think already has something lined up...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mll said:

An insider was on 650 this week and said that the talks behind the scenes with UFA's AKA tampering has been wild this offseason. Teams don't care its a free for all

24 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Larsson is the Swedish Chris Tanev.

Exactly this, but younger, more physical and more durable. He was a great pickup for Edmonton so strange they're parting ways as he'll enter his prime around now, but looks like they might not be able to fit him and Nurse in. Larsson is IMO their more valuable defenceman going forward than some of their others like Klefblom.

We let Tanev walk because of his age and injuries, but if a younger, more physical, more durable Tanev came along we should take it, and of course he's going to want slightly more money than what Tanev got.

Aim for 5yrs x 5M, if that's not enough I'd consider 5yrs x 6M but then we might not be able to keep Hamonic, still worth it though considering that's our top pairing locked for half a decade.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

He was 2nd in blocked shots and 10th in hits.....those kind of guys don't become available everyday.

He was the only NHL d-man top 10 in both those categories.

Unsure why Edmonton want to part with him and go with Duncan Keith and Barrie. Nurse, Klefblom, Bear and Bouchard seem to be their future now who they'll work around, and they'll all warrant big contract extensions (especially Nurse after he'll probably have a massive season next year, maybe drop 20 goals 60 points so maybe an 8-9M deal).

If I were Edmonton I would have stuck with Larsson over Keith but maybe they think he can give them some real playoff experience and teach the kids how to perform under pressure. Not the worst idea in the world but not worth the cost of losing a top-5 defensive defenceman just coming into his prime.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

That’s not something we can afford to do.  We need a long term Alex Edler replacement.  I’d go as high as 5.5.

If we can get him between 5-5.5 for 4 years, I’d be down for a contract like that. 

See how he is after that (would be 32 years old). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

What do you guys think it would take to sign this guy? Something like 4 × 4?

If he hits free agency as it is rumoured many teams will go after him, because he is a right handed top 4 D-Man who plays a physical game. Most likely  4 x 4 wouldn't be enough to land him. I would expect he will get 5 M $ + from a team, depending on the term of course.

Do you think 4 M $ would be a fair rate for Larsson given the fact that Tyler Myers gets 6 M $ per year (cap hit) ?

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Unsure why Edmonton want to part with him and go with Duncan Keith and Barrie. Nurse, Klefblom, Bear and Bouchard seem to be their future now who they'll work around, and they'll all warrant big contract extensions (especially Nurse after he'll probably have a massive season next year, maybe drop 20 goals 60 points so maybe an 8-9M deal).

If I were Edmonton I would have stuck with Larsson over Keith but maybe they think he can give them some real playoff experience and teach the kids how to perform under pressure. Not the worst idea in the world but not worth the cost of losing a top-5 defensive defenceman just coming into his prime.

not sure if this is true.

1. First of all there are always two parties involved. There is a chance that Larsson isn't happy with either term or money the Oilers offered him.

2. The flat cap world is an important restriction.

Honestly I don't know how much cap space the Oilers have right now, but I know for sure that they can't afford to re-sign Barrie and Larsson after the Duncan Keith acquisition.

Barrie has tremendous value for the Oilers on the powerplay.

I think Oilers are stuck in a dilemma right know making a decision what player they will keep (Larsson or Barrie).

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

An insider was on 650 this week and said that the talks behind the scenes with UFA's AKA tampering has been wild this offseason. Teams don't care its a free for all

as long as this doesn't leak there will be no consequences. Jim's case was somewhat special because he said it publicly. No wonder that the league felt to set an example. There are some smart people in the business knowing how to do it and how to hide it.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

Zadorov is high on my wishlist right now 

A contract comparable is probably a Carlo at 4.1m or Dillon at 3.9m 

His puck skills aren’t the best but he’s one of the most punishing hitters in the game to make up for it

CHI couldn't strike a deal ahead of the trade freeze. They wouldn't have mind trading Zadorov prior to the deadline in order to get something for him rather losing hin for nothing to the Kraken (most likely).