The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Adam Larsson to test FA

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Larsson is in a great position to really squeeze Edmonton, I just can't see him picking up and leaving for anything under 6. 

Given the impact on Hughes development it might be worth it in the long run, Hughes-Larsson could be a fantastic top pair. 

My guess its it takes 6 mil x 7 to get him here. 

Word is edmonton is only offering 3.9 aav for him

• Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If jim is telling the truth about wanting big dmen well here's a good start. 6’3 210 not too shabby<_<

This reminds me of when we signed Myers, not comparing them, just we all knew Myers was gonna join because of our desperate need of an RHD and it was no secret he would acquire one.

Our #1 need is getting Quinn a partner, Larsson is the most attractive IMO.

And I have zero proof but I remember right before the twins signed it was reported by different sources he was staying in Edmonton, then a week after the twins returned a rumour came out he was having second thoughts. maybe the twins just as buds, of course, told him how great the city is how he could have some career years next to Quinn

In all seriousness, I said back in may that if Benning can add him and Reinhart we're gonna be much improved.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

This reminds me of when we signed Myers, not comparing them, just we all knew Myers was gonna join because of our desperate need of an RHD and it was no secret he would acquire one.

Our #1 need is getting Quinn a partner, Larsson is the most attractive IMO.

And I have zero proof but I remember right before the twins signed it was reported by different sources he was staying in Edmonton, then a week after the twins returned a rumour came out he was having second thoughts. maybe the twins just as buds, of course, told him how great the city is how he could have some career years next to Quinn

In all seriousness, I said back in may that if Benning can add him and Reinhart we're gonna be much improved.

Id give up our 5th this year and our 2nd next year to get rid of erikksons cap hit. If it means we can add to the top 6 this year while adding larsson and another D then we wouldnt have to go hard next offseason on a big fish dman. I truly believe we can recoup a 2nd or even more next offseason with the amount of cap space we will have with the ability to take in bad contracts for a year for assets. Really we only need to sign brock rathbone and motte next offseason.

• Cheers 1

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from who we get back in trades it’s that we’re most likely getting a player not even on CDC’s radar. That goes for draft picks and free agent signings too. I’m fairly certain we won’t be picking up Larsson. I’d love him don’t get me wrong, but JB tends to go after players underused and undervalued rather then the big names being discussed as obvious choices on here.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

12 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Fingers crossed.  It's going to be fun to watch our guys ventilate a defense that includes Barrie, Bouchard, and Keith.  Edmonton is going full Toronto here.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lol. No wonder Larsson is going to market. He will get close to 5.5 for four or five years. Big, physical, right-side dman are a hot commodity and Larsson is a legit top four. Top two on many teams. 

8 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from who we get back in trades it’s that we’re most likely getting a player not even on CDC’s radar. That goes for draft picks and free agent signings too. I’m fairly certain we won’t be picking up Larsson. I’d love him don’t get me wrong, but JB tends to go after players underused and undervalued rather then the big names being discussed as obvious choices on here.

I don't think I could agree with that. Benning has actually persued big name ufas to a fault IMO. Eriksson was likely the best winger that year with Lucic and Ladd close runner ups (man, hindsight). Myers was the big name RD his year. Could even argue Beagle was the big name defensive forward his year. 

Personally, I have always been ok with his signings overall. But hindsight would probably tell us he would be better off saving his money in FA.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Think this is the problem, and they sound like they're going with Barrie.

Keith doesn't bring much offence anymorw but think he'll be useful on the PK, but he's nowhere near as defensively sound as Larsson.

They're probably expecting a lot of the offensive duties to be carried by Nurse and Barrie, and defensive shutdown work done by Keith, Bear/Bouchard and hopefully Klefblom.

If we land Larsson  do we still re-sign Hamonic and move Nate? An article in the Athletic talked about the feeling out there is Benning has a few moves in his back pocket to clear some cap. 

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Interesting! Maybe that’s all the Coil can afford now after trying to resign Barrie and bringing in Keith. Verrrrrry nice

2 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

If we land Larsson  do we still re-sign Hamonic and move Nate? An article in the Athletic talked about the feeling out there is Benning has a few moves in his back pocket to clear some cap. 

If Larsson was/is willing to sign an affordable deal for us, he would still be an Coiler.  He's looking to make uber money & term.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

They got better together as the year went on and with proper practices may mesh better but overall I thought Hamonic was fairly uninspired. 

It took hamonic awhile to get his game together after a very long layoff, but I think he was their best overall dman by the end of the year.  That was the real hamonic, imo

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id give up our 5th this year and our 2nd next year to get rid of erikksons cap hit. If it means we can add to the top 6 this year while adding larsson and another D then we wouldn't have to go hard next offseason on a big fish dman. I truly believe we can recoup a 2nd or even more next offseason with the amount of cap space we will have with the ability to take in bad contracts for a year for assets. Really we only need to sign brock rathbone and motte next offseason.

I think a 2nd gets LE gone. Ladd cost a pair of 2nds but has 2 years left. I never saw our cap situation as dire considering the last 2 seasons, Benning has never used picks to dump salary and even with the flat cap costing TT he still added as much to the cap as what left and still managed to at the very least  improve the team on paper,  he did do well long-term by not  This summer we had 19 million in cap, with 3 moves that are all realistic trade Nate, trade\buyout Holtby, terminate or buyout Virtanen opens almost 13 million plus whatever's left after the RFAs get signed. Plus if neither LE or Rousell get moved sending them to Abby saves 3 million.

I the suspense is killing me.

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This would be a nice addition for us. Let's say hypothetically Seattle is planning to take Holtby anyways.

Sign Larsson, sign Tatar/Schwartz or someone like that.

Miller - Petey - Brock

UFA - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Beagle - UFA/Lockwood

Hughes - Larsson

Schmidt - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

If you get a bounce back from Hughes, a healthy Pettersson, and improved defensive structure under Shaw - things aren't looking half bad.

Plus another player that can fill a center role if Beagle goes down or shift Dickinson to wing. Keeps our options open. Otherwise this is great. Sign me up 

40 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think a 2nd gets LE gone. Ladd cost a pair of 2nds but has 2 years left. I never saw our cap situation as dire considering the last 2 seasons, Benning has never used picks to dump salary and even with the flat cap costing TT he still added as much to the cap as what left and still managed to at the very least  improve the team on paper,  he did do well long-term by not  This summer we had 19 million in cap, with 3 moves that are all realistic trade Nate, trade\buyout Holtby, terminate or buyout Virtanen opens almost 13 million plus whatever's left after the RFAs get signed. Plus if neither LE or Rousell get moved sending them to Abby saves 3 million.

I the suspense is killing me.

If a 2nd is all it takes to move LE, then do it.  It's a no brainer.  Canucks could possibly recoup a 2nd (or at least a 3rd) from trading Holtby.   Maybe even acquiring more picks if Schmidt is also traded away (but I'd rather keep him and see how he would do in a full season).

• Cheers 1