The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzies final top 100 draft board

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fedor Svechkov - Centre

Craig Button's Analysis

"A complete two-way centre who has an outstanding mind. He excels in all situations and maximizes the abilities of others and makes the team better everywhere."

Projection: Complete, Two-Way Centre
Comparable: Pavel Datsyuk

I'm thinking Benning's going with the Russian kid...

I was just reading about Svechkov this morning.  He sure has quite an assortment of talent. 

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-c-fyodor-svechkov/

I love the last line in the article...

"Top-line, multi-situational center who can also produce points in the mold of a Sean Couturier or Patrice Bergeron."

Well, just watched some of McKenzie's rankings on TSN.  Power himself equaled Beniers and Johnson as an offensive threat one-on-one. Craig Button said Johnson was the most skilled player in the Draft (not verbatim)  I'm not sure Johnson will still be around at #9.  

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

What is your take on Mailloux? I haven't done a lot of digging (Baseball season), but from what I have seen he seems to be a not bad choice for a 2nd round pick.

Ah,  I haven't been keeping up with current events... https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/nhl-draft-prospect-logan-mailloux-faces-uncertain-future-after-criminal-charge-in-sweden/

regards,  G.

yeah big character flaw there. Massive red flag. 

Now I am a believer in 2nd chances and people redeeming themselves. I hope the kid does the work needed to earn that. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think Benning will be afraid to pick another Russian.

He just went through the exact same process with Podkolzin, since Svechkov is signed for two more seasons with SKA.

I guess it all depends on how he feels Podz development went there and how easy it was to get him signed.

Well?

Podkolzin was a much more NHL ready elite athlete type profile already capable of competing with top NHL players physically.  Svechkov the more polished and skilled? And a natural center. Sharing a a common trait; both known for their work rate, sticking their nose in every situation, any battle, as if it were their last.  Button aside, Svechkov is not rated as high as Podz was...

I am not afraid of the Russian factor. At 9th OA the 2 years is more or less standard development time. I have zero inhibitions regarding his KHL contract either.  My take is he sits just outside that Top 9.  As indicated by MacKenzie's list. Same with Wallsteadt. But teams, see Hayton, pick for position.

What I am hoping is we then get both a BPA and positional opportunity at 9.    

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Be nice but schmidt would never agree to go to buffalo

He might be willing to go there. He's from Minnie and Buffalo is closer. He's American so maybe he would rather be in the States; especially after Covid and all the restrictions.

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, just watched some of McKenzie's rankings on TSN.  Power himself equaled Beniers and Johnson as an offensive threat one-on-one. Craig Button said Johnson was the most skilled player in the Draft (not verbatim)  I'm not sure Johnson will still be around at #9.  

God i hope Johnson is gone before we reach him. I do not see Johnson making the NHL

20 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

God i hope Johnson is gone before we reach him. I do not see Johnson making the NHL

What keeps him out of the NHL in your mind? His puck skills and offensive reads are already NHL calibre. He's 6' 1" but is only 165 lbs. Is that your concern?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I was just reading about Svechkov this morning.  He sure has quite an assortment of talent. 

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-c-fyodor-svechkov/

I love the last line in the article...

"Top-line, multi-situational center who can also produce points in the mold of a Sean Couturier or Patrice Bergeron."

Pavel Datsyuk. Patrice Bergeron. The Russian kid could turn out to be the best player in the draft.

I’m more confident now than ever that Benning is going to go off the board and draft him.  

Similar to 2017 he may try to move down a few spots to recoup the 3rd rounder.  Remember nobody had Petey at #5 and Benning tried to move down with Vegas knowing they wanted Glass.  Petey was Benning’s guy all along.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Good size, got some weight, better than average wingspan.

More importantly the kid can really handle the lumber.

Kind of like the other Russian kid, the way he goes about his business.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Why?

I have watched a lot of tape on him and he reminds me a lot of some of the most offensively gifted players in the NHL. If the Canucks are looking for pure offense then his is their guy as next to Petey, Johnson could stand to be the second best pure scorer on the team in a few years.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

McKenzie has Johnson to the Canucks at #9.  Very interesting that it was mentioned he draws inspiration from Pettersson's game (living here, his favourite team?), and that he's also comparable to Pettersson.

Imagine the dangles, impossible passes and highlight reel goals.

really?

Question1 : Is Mc Kenzie's list a mock draft or a draft ranking?

Question2:  Should I explain the difference between mock draft and draft ranking?

49 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Why?

I have watched a lot of tape on him and he reminds me a lot of some of the most offensively gifted players in the NHL. If the Canucks are looking for pure offense then his is their guy as next to Petey, Johnson could stand to be the second best pure scorer on the team in a few years.

Yes he does a lot of skill plays but he does it all the time and he is only successful 4/10 times. When there is a simple play to make, he simply does not make it and would rather go for the "highligh reel" play. This tells me that he has low hockey IQ. Plus other factors that i have seen puts him on the Do not draft list