The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzies final top 100 draft board

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

What keeps him out of the NHL in your mind? His puck skills and offensive reads are already NHL calibre. He's 6' 1" but is only 165 lbs. Is that your concern?

My concern is his hockey IQ. A lot of people see that he does a lot of highlight reels but he has problems with making simple plays. When there is a simple pass to make, he simply chooses not to and would rather dangle his way through the opponents and most of the time would lose the puck and with the puck going the other way. 

Plus other issues I see, I do not see Johnson as an NHL player so I would put him in the do not draft list.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well?

Podkolzin was a much more NHL ready elite athlete type profile already capable of competing with top NHL players physically.  Svechkov the more polished and skilled? And a natural center. Sharing a a common trait; both known for their work rate, sticking their nose in every situation, any battle, as if it were their last.  Button aside, Svechkov is not rated as high as Podz was...

I am not afraid of the Russian factor. At 9th OA the 2 years is more or less standard development time. I have zero inhibitions regarding his KHL contract either.  My take is he sits just outside that Top 9.  As indicated by MacKenzie's list. Same with Wallsteadt. But teams, see Hayton, pick for position.

What I am hoping is we then get both a BPA and positional opportunity at 9.    

My hope is that JB trades down to a mid first and let’s some scoop Walhsted and drafts Svech to play with Podz one day.  Adding a second and take two d men in the second round.  

this guy is overlooked.  

had a similar experience as did Podz, but with a crap team for the first half.  

Russian development is not great, but it does generate some great two way centers.  

Like what if Chubarov had stayed and is he is car still under Rogers?  

We have crap depth at RHD and center. Great pick up in Dickinson aside.

I will happily be wrong about Johnston.  Don’t know if his play is genuinely amazing or hype,  

We need depth at center and defence so badly atm, with a higher need on a solid hit vs swinging for a home run.  

we will see and it is what it is when it happens.  

lol. 

• Hydration 2

I’m definitely on the Svechkov train. I wouldn’t be mad if we take him at 9. I think someone is going to take him before the his census position. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

My concern is his hockey IQ. A lot of people see that he does a lot of highlight reels but he has problems with making simple plays. When there is a simple pass to make, he simply chooses not to and would rather dangle his way through the opponents and most of the time would lose the puck and with the puck going the other way. 

Plus other issues I see, I do not see Johnson as an NHL player so I would put him in the do not draft list.

I trust our scouting department. If these are legitimate issues, then they will pick someone else. I highly doubt that he doesn't even make the NHL though. That seems like hyperbole based on bias.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fedor Svechkov - Centre

Craig Button's Analysis

"A complete two-way centre who has an outstanding mind. He excels in all situations and maximizes the abilities of others and makes the team better everywhere."

Projection: Complete, Two-Way Centre
Comparable: Pavel Datsyuk

I'm thinking Benning's going with the Russian kid...

I just hope Smyl pronounces it correctly ;)

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

My hope is that JB trades down to a mid first and let’s some scoop Walhsted and drafts Svech to play with Podz one day.  Adding a second and take two d men in the second round.  

this guy is overlooked.  

Trading down for Svechkov is a risky proposition. I see him being the second or third center taken. I know there's the Russian factor, and teams wanting to draft the "higher ceiling" guys, and all that. But if the top 4 D, Eklund, and McTavish are gone, I say just take him. 

• Hydration 1

Thought about it more, and trading down if the top 4 D are gone might not be a bad idea. There are a few centers we could target, including Svechkov, Johnson, Lucius, and L'Heureux. I'd still rather trade up for one of the top 4 D than trade down though.

Edited by Nave
  • Hydration 1
18 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Pretty crazy he has mctavish at 4. If wallstead gets picked in top 7 that bumps clarke and hughes back. Be pretty sweet if clarke is there at 9

ISS has McTavish at 5 so it's not much of a leap.    We are just going to have to wait and see, yes for sure if Detroit takes a goalie there will be two of the these to choose from.   With Teams regretting not taking EP, maybe Johnson gets picked higher too.   

9 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Yes he does a lot of skill plays but he does it all the time and he is only successful 4/10 times. When there is a simple play to make, he simply does not make it and would rather go for the "highligh reel" play. This tells me that he has low hockey IQ. Plus other factors that i have seen puts him on the Do not draft list

Like Gretzky said, you don't score 100 percent of the time you don't shoot...

I think Johnson is a solid pick. He would quickly surpass Hoglander in the skills department.

In saying this, Button does seem to know a thing or two about sliding prospects and slid Johnson on his final list much like he did Virtanin so maybe there is something to this.

19 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Forget choosing between Beniers and Eklund - Who's better?  McKenzie or Button?  

Button.   It's his bread and butter and always has been, that's his job.   McKenzie aside from having the largest head in media, has been around the game for decades, worked in various capacities for THN and TSN... before Friedman recent ascension was also the NHL's number one insider, and still would be if SNET didn't win the last contract.    McKenzie still uses a system in place (that he probably put in place), from THN - taking an aggregate of some NHL scouts and averaging them out a little.   THN goes a step further and uses ten scouts to make their aggregate list and posts the ISS ranking with each player too.   Feel both are very good.   And they both hit and miss.   To me ISS and THN provide a great baseline, when i see a player on either McKenzie's or Button's list that is way off from theirs it must be personal preference.    Teams could do a lot worse then just going off either of these guys rankings though. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Like Gretzky said, you don't score 100 percent of the time you don't shoot...

I think Johnson is a solid pick. He would quickly surpass Hoglander in the skills department.

In saying this, Button does seem to know a thing or two about sliding prospects and slid Johnson on his final list much like he did Virtanin so maybe there is something to this.

I wouldn't read too much into Virtanen and Button.   He gets some right and some wrong.    Ranked EP at 8....he's clearly 1-2 now.    And had a lot of guys way later that now would be at to top of the first round too in the same draft.   His 2019 list so far looks way out of whack but also was right about Caufield.  Wrong about Sieder.   And Hoglander wasn't in his first round at all (where others had him there).    That said he's respected and does a very good job overall.     Johnson vs will depend on draft day (assuming he's even available).   Personally think we need C's or RHD.   We are loaded on the L side. 

Edit:  Not that i like being corrected so apologies ahead of time it's "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take".... I can still see the crazy crap that guy could do on the ice.   Game 7 vs TO in 1993 was the end of his peak ... became a mere mortal after that (but still was always up there in the scoring race).... WG is and likely always will be, the most dominant pro athlete in the history of any sport.    Was like playing against CHLers his first decade really.    And for young people he did it against guys who played right until 2018 or so...in Iginla and Jagr. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I wouldn't read too much into Virtanen and Button.   He gets some right and some wrong.    Ranked EP at 8....he's clearly 1-2 now.    And had a lot of guys way later that now would be at to top of the first round too in the same draft.   His 2019 list so far looks way out of whack but also was right about Caufield.  Wrong about Sieder.   And Hoglander wasn't in his first round at all (where others had him there).    That said he's respected and does a very good job overall.     Johnson vs will depend on draft day (assuming he's even available).   Personally think we need C's or RHD.   We are loaded on the L side. 

I wouldn't either.  I mean, at the time I rated Virtanen way lower too.  I just looked at the fact he was bigger than most kids his age in the juniors, so he used his size to his advantage, but even then, he was barely a PPG player in the WHL. 

On 7/20/2021 at 4:56 AM, Nave said:

Thought about it more, and trading down if the top 4 D are gone might not be a bad idea. There are a few centers we could target, including Svechkov, Johnson, Lucius, and L'Heureux. I'd still rather trade up for one of the top 4 D than trade down though.

Sillinger, Lucious Svech are all in that range.  There was talk of Ott and Van swapping spots… so they could take Walh the brick Walh… and prevent Vancouver from trading the pick to some one beneath them in the draft order.  JB already had the brass set to trade down one spot with Vegas in the draft for EP40.  Games are afoot, and that very public deal making was deliberate.  

NYR was making waves to trade up.  Van and NYR had both been reported to have targeted EP40.  JB showing that he looked very comfortable swapping spots with Vegas to add a pick maybe checked NYR into holding pat and not committing assets to trade up for EP40.  

Walhstad (sp?) is a highly coveted late top ten target of value to certain teams.  The second tier goalie is still good,  it The brick Walh is still everyone’s first choice and is considered to be a legit number one goalie.  

Looking at things, Price showed the value of a what a great goalie can do.  The brick Walh has the potential to be a Price or like another Swede Lundquist, really be a stable, building piece to remove any doubts in goal.  Letting the team focus on the holes from there.  

Demko would be a mid first IMO on a redraft.  Wonder if Calgary wishes they had taken Demko instead of Macdonald.  

We don’t have anyone else left from that draft that actually yielded a number of quality NHlers.  JB’s rookie year.  

lucky for us he is smarter than he looks and a better assessment of talent after this draft.  Character also looked a lot different.  

one has to wonder how all of his selections would have done in Bean town vs Vancouver.  

JV would have still been a bad boy, but never charged.  Cause it’s Bean Town, not PC aware Vancouver.  

Trymakin playing along side Chara… could have been interesting.  

McCann on a line with Marchand at times… put JV on the other wing and have the kids buy into the team character.  

It could have worked.  Pasternak, no one else saw that coming… 

Demko would be taking over from Rask right now.  

On 7/20/2021 at 6:40 AM, IBatch said:

Edit:  Not that i like being corrected so apologies ahead of time it's "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take".... I can still see the crazy crap that guy could do on the ice.   Game 7 vs TO in 1993 was the end of his peak ... became a mere mortal after that (but still was always up there in the scoring race).... WG is and likely always will be, the most dominant pro athlete in the history of any sport.    Was like playing against CHLers his first decade really.    And for young people he did it against guys who played right until 2018 or so...in Iginla and Jagr. 

All draft experts in hindsight get some right and some wrong. Bob McKenzie had Pettersson ranked only one spot higher than Button at number seven and had even Casey Mittelstadt ranked above him. I’ve been a believer in Button since the 2014 draft, not only with his Virtanen ranking but his take on Brayden Point as well. He had Point rated as a mid first rounder while McKenzie and most others did not have him worthy of a first round selection.

Put me in the Svechkov camp if McTavish or the top four D aren’t available.