The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Predators prospect Prokop comes out as gay, makes NHL history

Rate this topic

Rubik

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

good for him. time to see how the NHL back up this "hockey is for everyone" thing they like to use to protect this kid

He's also 6'5" and 211 lbs. 

If you are stupid enough to trash talk him in a game. I think he'd make good and sure you'd get smashed into the boards. Along with the players on his team. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ESP77 said:

And we needed to know this... Why!?!?

Frankly because of comments like yours.

You are not wrong in asking why do we need to know this ? why should anyone and what does it matter ? but as society we are no where near there yet.

It as such is a big deal, seeing this young man being real and going public will do so much for others, the empowerment gained by others seeing an on the verge professional NHLer doing this is not to be understated, this young man is pioneering for future players.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Would be awesome if a few current players decided this was their time to announce, as well.

Have an amazing opportunity to really make a statement, but is so difficult to take that step.

Seems 93% of guys are hetro, with 2% being completely homosexual and the rest falling somewhere in between.

So, if hockey players have the same percentages, roughly 14-15 current players are full on gay, with about 35 being switch hitters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_male_sexuality#Homosexuality

Thanks for this. I was wondering how many current players were gay or sideways, and hoping that with this brave (and it IS brave) announcement that others may follow. There is zero doubt some players are staying quiet.

With that said, I would argue that your stats might be slightly skewed, as I don't believe those who are homosexual would choose a man's professional sport at exactly the same rate. Not to say, of course, that a gay guy can't enjoy or want to play hockey; my nephew is trans, and loves hockey - though he's never played it. Or any contact sport, for that matter...

Whether there is likely less homosexuals can be due to the propensity of gay guys to like less rough-and-tumble things, or it also likely has a lot to do with a stigma of being gay in such a league - so even if a gay guy wanted to, many likely decided not to in light of such. Considering that, I'd say his journey began long ago and he has remained vigilant to follow his dreams for quite some time.

I hope he gets the understanding and respect he deserves through his career.

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

As a hetero male, his sexuality matters not at all to me. However, to those who are part of the  LGBTQ+ community I think this represents a big step forward. To the best of my knowledge, Rob Halford was one of the first metal artists to come out as gay. And I think that allowed others to be more comfortable with their sexuality, whether they are open about it or not. That's part of why this is important. 

I remember going to a Judas Priest concert when I was a teenager.  Every male there was a Fonzie, all wearing  black leather jackets.

Judas Priest sold over 50 million records, years later I was shocked Rob Halford came out.

In 1998, Halford publicly revealed his homosexuality on MTV.[50] He broke down in tears saying, "It's a wonderful moment when you walk out of the closet. Now I've done that and I've freed myself. It's a great feeling for me to finally let go and make this statement—especially to The Advocate, because this magazine has brought me so much comfort over the years.

At the time Halford revealed his sexuality, he was concerned that he would lose his fanbase as a result. He explained that he cannot return to certain places of the world in fear of lapidation. He described the 1970s and 1980s as "incredibly difficult", but not counting it as important music-wise. Halford jokingly claimed that he cannot be replaced by a straight man, bringing up late Queen vocalist Freddie Mercury, saying that "if Freddie hadn't have been gay, Queen would've been a totally different band. But that's a really important part of my life that I have to get down on paper at some point."[53]

Halford describes himself as "the stately homo of heavy metal", and said that his announcement was "the greatest thing I could have done for myself." He also explained that he did not announce it sooner due to the fear that it was going to be troublesome for himself.[54]

Halford says that society has not changed as much as he hoped since his announcement, "You'd think there would have been some kind of change and people would have moved on after such a long time. Now that I'm moving through my OAP heavy metal years (laughs), I thought a lot of it would be gone by now. And it's a shame. We don't really get to spend a lot of time on this planet together, so there's no point in wasting it being divided."[56

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I remember going to a Judas Priest concert when I was a teenager.  Every male there was a Fonzie, all wearing  black leather jackets.

Judas Priest sold over 50 million records, years later I was shocked Rob Halford came out.

In 1998, Halford publicly revealed his homosexuality on MTV.[50] He broke down in tears saying, "It's a wonderful moment when you walk out of the closet. Now I've done that and I've freed myself. It's a great feeling for me to finally let go and make this statement—especially to The Advocate, because this magazine has brought me so much comfort over the years.

At the time Halford revealed his sexuality, he was concerned that he would lose his fanbase as a result. He explained that he cannot return to certain places of the world in fear of lapidation. He described the 1970s and 1980s as "incredibly difficult", but not counting it as important music-wise. Halford jokingly claimed that he cannot be replaced by a straight man, bringing up late Queen vocalist Freddie Mercury, saying that "if Freddie hadn't have been gay, Queen would've been a totally different band. But that's a really important part of my life that I have to get down on paper at some point."[53]

Halford describes himself as "the stately homo of heavy metal", and said that his announcement was "the greatest thing I could have done for myself." He also explained that he did not announce it sooner due to the fear that it was going to be troublesome for himself.[54]

Halford says that society has not changed as much as he hoped since his announcement, "You'd think there would have been some kind of change and people would have moved on after such a long time. Now that I'm moving through my OAP heavy metal years (laughs), I thought a lot of it would be gone by now. And it's a shame. We don't really get to spend a lot of time on this planet together, so there's no point in wasting it being divided."[56

In the end, the music that Priest makes is fantastic. Same with Queen. Talent is talent. 

Just makes songs like Angel, pretty sure Halford has a different spin that I would. Still an awesome ballad.

7 hours ago, ESP77 said:

I'm sure there have been plenty. Public announcement about what you're into isn't nescassary.

4 hours ago, ESP77 said:

I just see no reason for anyone to announce their private sexual preferences. It's no one's business.

It's important for you to educate yourself.....this isn't about what someone's "into" or "preferences".  It's who they are.  

And in a sport for young athletes who have females throwing themselves at them, there'd be pressure and question as to why that isn't responded to.  This just takes away all the awkward situations this young man would likely face if he didn't make it known.  He can be respected for who he is now rather than having to try to fit in.

4 hours ago, ESP77 said:

I'm in an inter racial relationship. You don't see me making a press statement about it...

Um, you sort of just did?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

This is great, very happy for him to be accepted for who he is & be able to live his life in a natural/normal way.

Its great to see the vast outpour of support throughout the hockey world. Very clear the players are more than happy to embrace Prokop. And that's fantastic for him & other gay players.

I think it should come to point where we shouldnt celebrate a guy coming out, but we just see it as just normal. He plays hockey for a living, who are we to criticize what he does outside of it. Good for him though, he shouldn't be needing to hide in the first place in my opinion

• Like 1

Love this from him! I seriously can't put into words how incredibly inspiring this is to hear. 

For those who are not part of the community (or don't know anyone apart of it) know that the process to make a statement like this is not made overnight. Mans did not wake up one day and go "I'm going to shake things up and tell the world". However it's a statement that can make a world of difference. It's not about telling everyone you're gay, it's about eliminating others assumptions about you being straight. Unfortunately we still live in a world where you're assumed straight until otherwise presented and then slammed with "why do I need to know this?" Comments when you tell people. Double edged sword.

I don't see him any differently than I did beforehand. That's not to disrespect him coming out but this seems normal to me.

Don't matter if you're sexuality, race, beliefs, etc. We are all people and I see everyone as my equal as a human being. I judge based off the quality of a person's character and moral code/compass. 

IMO the more we things like this as normal the more it will become normal.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

I didn't think I was homophobic at all, but I did realize that I can be more supportive of my nephews that are gay. This can be a hard adjustment for young people to come out. Well at least I'm getting a tshirt to start. And reaching out to my nephews. Going for dinner etc.