The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Montreal Plans to Offersheet Pettersson

20 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Offer sheet a RFA? I thought that would be tampering!

Are you not familiar with the concept of offer sheets?  No. It’s not tampering.  If Bergevin told the press, while the cameras were rolling, that he intended to offer sheet a player. Then yes. Tampering. You’re not allowed to publicly make a statement about having interest in a player signed to another team. But depending on the RFA’s status you’re totally allowed to approach him with an offer sheet 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Landeskog is a great player but not worth the money he’s rumoured to be looking for.  Regardless this report sounds like total bs 

oh , really?

I recall very well that Bergevin offersheeting Sebastian Aho from the Carolina Hurricanes just 2 or 3 years ago.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

oh , really?

I recall very well that Bergevin offersheeting Sebastian Aho from the Carolina Hurricanes just 2 or 3 years ago.

Is he that stupid? Surely he must realize that Suzuki is coming up next year and we just so happen to have a bunch of dead cap coming off the books at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This rumour is bogus. Montreal doesn't have the assets to do it.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2021/6/28/22554643/2021-offer-sheet-compensation-set-nhl-rfa-rules-picks-aav-calculation

The team submitting the offer sheet has to have all of the required compensation picks, and they have to be their own picks. They have to be picks for the next draft (so 2021) unless they are required to have two picks of the same round. Then they can have two of the next three year’s picks to offer.

https://puckpedia.com/team/montreal-canadiens/draftpicks

image.thumb.png.b64f632387f9251bb17f26fab3ea1a2b.png

Montreal needs to have a second first round pick, which they MUST have on hand. Not to mention the 3rd they traded away. They MUST have a third.

The picks would start next year, since the draft is before free agency.

19 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

The picks would start next year, since the draft is before free agency.

I believe they don't have two first round picks on hand. You cannot just 'plan' to have a 1st rounder. They can't do this offersheet.

Edit: never mind. I stand corrected.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

oh , really?

the offer sheet he offered was designed to target a team who’s owner was notoriously cheap. It was structured to require a huge initial outlay of cash. The compensation for that offer sheet was a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. This situation isn’t remotely the same. Vancouver isn’t vulnerable. They could and would easily match. And the compensation is way to high 

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I believe they don't have two first round picks on hand. You cannot just 'plan' to have a 1st rounder. They can't do this offersheet.

Picks for offersheets have to be your own. The 1st would be over 2 consecutive drafts 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No it’s really not.

Those 1sts might be in the 15-20 range and the 2nd and 3rd could very well equal nothing.

I take Petey over some garbage picks all day long.

True enough.  Still, Petey's not worth that cap hit either

$8,221,464 - $10,276,829
2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

Anaheim DucksArizona Coyotes

Buffalo SabresCalgary FlamesCarolina HurricanesChicago BlackhawksDallas StarsDetroit Red WingsMinnesota WildMontreal CanadiensNashville PredatorsNew Jersey DevilsNew York RangersOttawa SenatorsPhiladelphia FlyersSeattle KrakenSt. Louis BluesWinnipeg Jets

According to capfriendly, these teams meet the requirements.Montreal is on the list of teams eligible to make this level of offer sheet.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Picks for offersheets have to be your own. The 1st would be over 2 consecutive drafts 

Edit: I'm mistaken.

I don't believe that's correct.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2021/6/28/22554643/2021-offer-sheet-compensation-set-nhl-rfa-rules-picks-aav-calculation

Some rules to remember:

1. NHL teams cannot negotiate with a player in regards to an offer sheet until July 27. The player cannot sign that offer sheet until July 28.
  2. If the player (but not the team) elects arbitration, he cannot sign an offer sheet.
  3. The team submitting the offer sheet has to have all of the required compensation picks, and they have to be their own picks. They have to be picks for the next draft (so 2021) unless they are required to have two picks of the same round. Then they can have two of the next three year’s picks to offer.
  4. And now for the calculation of the AAV to determine the threshold:

This by itself would invalidate the rumour entirely. They DO NOT have a second first round pick for 2021. Not to mention, they are missing a third round pick for this year.

image.thumb.png.b64f632387f9251bb17f26fab3ea1a2b.png

In short, this rumour is 100 percent false.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Some rules to remember:

1. NHL teams cannot negotiate with a player in regards to an offer sheet until July 27. The player cannot sign that offer sheet until July 28.
  2. If the player (but not the team) elects arbitration, he cannot sign an offer sheet.
  3. The team submitting the offer sheet has to have all of the required compensation picks, and they have to be their own picks. They have to be picks for the next draft (so 2021) unless they are required to have two picks of the same round. Then they can have two of the next three year’s picks to offer.

This by itself would invalidate the rumour entirely. They DO NOT have a second first round pick for 2021.

They can't make an offer sheet before this years draft, as those picks would be already spent, so anything involving offer sheets is starting for the 2022 draft

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Like 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Some rules to remember:

This by itself would invalidate the rumour entirely. They DO NOT have a second first round pick for 2021.

Reread the part you bolded. It says if the compensation is two picks in the same round then the team must have 2 picks in the next 3 drafts.  All picks have to be your own.  Montreal is completely capable of making this offer.  Thst said it still sounds like a bs tweet from a bs source 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• -DLC- locked this topic