The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] "Canucks poking around Conor Garland"

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Another rumour out there is that Logan Brown is getting traded.

Would be a good add if Benning can’t get Bjugstad. 

Big center that’s still only 23 and needs to put his offensive game together.

Isn’t Logan Brown a lot like Brendan Gaunce?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Isn’t Logan Brown a lot like Brendan Gaunce?  

Definitely more upside.

I think he’d be worth it depending on the cost. Could be a solid 4th line option if we wanna trade Beagle and free up some cap.

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wonder what the cost would be for this RFA who had a good year. Also where's the cap gonna come from we still got people to re-sign.

There was a good article in the Athletic that talked about it. When they started hearing chatter that Benning was in on multiple players they poked around and concluded he has several possible deals in his back pocket that don't involve buyouts. Seeing Ladd getting moved for 2 seconds for 2 years at 7 million has given me hope LE is moved for a 2nd if needed.

50 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

There was a good article in the Athletic that talked about it. When they started hearing chatter that Benning was in on multiple players they poked around and concluded he has several possible deals in his back pocket that don't involve buyouts. Seeing Ladd getting moved for 2 seconds for 2 years at 7 million has given me hope LE is moved for a 2nd if needed.

Yeah I do think something is brewing in the cap-shedding aspect with us being interested in top 6 guys out there. The acquisition of Dicksinson also supports that. 

I just wonder if he maybe has something with Seattle or after the expansion or what. 

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder what it would take to get his rights. Decent, underated 20+ pace goal scorer. Would look nice alongside Horvat and Hoglander for a few years for sure, letting us play Pearson and Dickinson together as a nice shutdown line.

I'm hesitant on losing Schmidt right away, would like to see what he can do after settling properly with a proper off-season and hopefully more stable partner because he has the potential to be the shutdown guy we need.

I'd be keen to try and trade a prospect + pick for Garland, wonder if Lind/Woo plus a pick like a 3/4th would do or if they'd want a 2nd?

ARI should be looking for at least a 1st round pick for Garland's RFA rights, then factor in his likely contract around the $5m mark I would say.

I love Garland as a player but not exactly the fit for VAN at this point given our lack of assets and lack of cap space

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Are we sure this isn’t still part of an OEL trade?

OEL (2 mil retained)

Garland

for

Schmidt

Eriksson

2nd round pick

I was wondering that as well. Maybe Arizona realizes that if they don't move OEL, they will be on the hook for his salary. Some teams have paid a premium to move cap and salary. 

Absolutely Loui has to be part of that deal. I would replace Schmidt with Virtanen though.

If they don't like it we move on and they can eat that salary.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

ARI should be looking for at least a 1st round pick for Garland's RFA rights, then factor in his likely contract around the $5m mark I would say.

I love Garland as a player but not exactly the fit for VAN at this point given our lack of assets and lack of cap space

Massive over-payment. For the trade and the contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Don’t we have this guy already in Hog.

why get another wee forward when it’s clear we need size grit. 

Already a small soft easy to play against team better find more small players….

Heaven forbid macewen Lind Gad Bailey or Lockwood actually get a legit chance to make the team and be regulars. 

Way I see big picture right now.

1. Holtby is good as gone

Whether or not Seattle takes him we will be trading him out.

2. Schmidt is good as gone

Feel like he will be traded to Carolina or Arizona. If to Arizona it will involve OEL or Garland if to the Hurricanes it will be for Foegle and a pick or just a a better pick to dump salary. And if we have UFA signings set up.

3. Adam Larsson

Should be our number 1 off season acquisition target. Absolutely our biggest need now is getting a top line defensive dman for quinn hughes. Will have the biggest impact on our team. Should be in the 4.5-5.5 Million range and is absolutely worth it.

4. LW Targets

Schwartz, Hyman, Garland, Foegle

Garland and Foegle via trade or Schwartz Hyman Signings depending on Schmidt trade and salary/term expectations of Schwartz/Hyman

I also could see dadonov for Schmidt from seattle if they take him or from Ottawa if they take tierny as a possibility. He played well wiht higherend offensive forwards and having a fellow SKA player and countryman for Podz would be awesome.

5. Resigning Edler and Hamonic

Think Hamonic 5 Million 2 years would be nice and if Edler could sign a deal that fits in with the structure post extension and moves that would be mighty gentlemanly of him.

Porposed Top 9:

Miller-EP40-Boeser

1 of:

Schwartz-Horvat-Hoglander

Hyman-Horvat-Hoglander

Garland-Horvat-Hoglander

Foegle-Horvat-Hoglander

Hoglander-Horvat-Dadanov

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Proposed DEF

Hughes-Larsson

Edler-Myers

Rathbone/Juolevi-Hamonic

Anything else will really surprise me at this point.

Hope they execute and fill all the lineup holes in ways we are set up for future success.

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Way I see big picture right now.

1. Holtby is good as gone

Whether or not Seattle takes him we will be trading him out.

2. Schmidt is good as gone

Feel like he will be traded to Carolina or Arizona. If to Arizona it will involve OEL or Garland if to the Hurricanes it will be for Foegle and a pick or just a a better pick to dump salary. And if we have UFA signings set up.

3. Adam Larsson

Should be our number 1 off season acquisition target. Absolutely our biggest need now is getting a top line defensive dman for quinn hughes. Will have the biggest impact on our team. Should be in the 4.5-5.5 Million range and is absolutely worth it.

4. LW Targets

Schwartz, Hyman, Garland, Foegle

Garland and Foegle via trade or Schwartz Hyman Signings depending on Schmidt trade and salary/term expectations of Schwartz/Hyman

I also could see dadonov for Schmidt from seattle if they take him or from Ottawa if they take tierny as a possibility. He played well wiht higherend offensive forwards and having a fellow SKA player and countryman for Podz would be awesome.

5. Resigning Edler and Hamonic

Think Hamonic 5 Million 2 years would be nice and if Edler could sign a deal that fits in with the structure post extension and moves that would be mighty gentlemanly of him.

Porposed Top 9:

Miller-EP40-Boeser

1 of:

Schwartz-Horvat-Hoglander

Hyman-Horvat-Hoglander

Garland-Horvat-Hoglander

Foegle-Horvat-Hoglander

Hoglander-Horvat-Dadanov

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Proposed DEF

Hughes-Larsson

Edler-Myers

Rathbone/Juolevi-Hamonic

Anything else will really surprise me at this point.

Hope they execute and fill all the lineup holes in ways we are set up for future success.

Dadanov would be an interesting add. A bit older and struggled last year on a terrible Ottawa team, but because of that he might not cost much and we may be able to dump a bit of cap back on the Sens. Also brings in a Russian, which Benning wanted to do in order to help Podkolzin adjust, and it allows us to move Hoglander over to his natural LW position.

Edit: I just saw his contract and yeah....nvm xD

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dadanov would be an interesting add. A bit older and struggled last year on a terrible Ottawa team, but because of that he might not cost much and we may be able to dump a bit of cap back on the Sens. Also brings in a Russian, which Benning wanted to do in order to help Podkolzin adjust, and it allows us to move Hoglander over to his natural LW position.

Edit: I just saw his contract and yeah....nvm xD

Maybe Ottawa could retain to make it work.

really think he could be 60pt guy with Horvat and hoglander and help podz transition to team 

Here's my trade:

To Arizona:

VAN 1st 2021 (9th Overall) 

LD/RD Nate Schmidt 

LW Antoine Roussel 

TO Vancouver:

LHD Oscar Ekman-Larsson (24% retained = $6.25 Million AAV) 

RW Connor Garland (RFA)

CBJ 2nd 2021 (37th Overall) 

PIT 4th 2021 (122nd Overall) 

After making this trade, we sign RW Garland to a 4-year $21 Million, giving him an AAV of $5.25 Million. So grand total, we bring in $11.5 Million and trade out $8.95 Million, giving us a total cap add of $2,450,000 (I did all the math in my head so bare with me if it's wrong) 

In order to make up for the lost space, we trade Holtby at a retained salary if he doesn't get picked up by Seattle. If it does, we lose the whole megillah giving us space to re-sign Hamonic and with Edler moving on, with Juolevi and Rathbone ready to join the team, we're in a good position to improve after this move. We'll need to bring in two or three depth guys on the backend for the purposes of injuries but I like the look of our team after this trade. 

Plus, if we trade Holtby, we'll probably get a second or third round pick coming our way if we agree to retain. After mortgaging the future to bring in Garland, we'll have to makeup for it elsewhere. Tell me what you think. 

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Here's my trade:

To Arizona:

VAN 1st 2021 (9th Overall) 

LD/RD Nate Schmidt 

LW Antoine Roussel 

TO Vancouver:

LHD Oscar Ekman-Larsson (24% retained = $6.25 Million AAV) 

RW Connor Garland (RFA)

CBJ 2nd 2021 (37th Overall) 

PIT 4th 2021 (122nd Overall) 

After making this trade, we sign RW Garland to a 4-year $21 Million, giving him an AAV of $5.25 Million. So grand total, we bring in $11.5 Million and trade out $8.95 Million, giving us a total cap add of $2,450,000 (I did all the math in my head so bare with me if it's wrong) 

In order to make up for the lost space, we trade Holtby at a retained salary if he doesn't get picked up by Seattle. If it does, we lose the whole megillah giving us space to re-sign Hamonic and with Edler moving on, with Juolevi and Rathbone ready to join the team, we're in a good position to improve after this move. We'll need to bring in two or three depth guys on the backend for the purposes of injuries but I like the look of our team after this trade. 

Plus, if we trade Holtby, we'll probably get a second or third round pick coming our way if we agree to retain. After mortgaging the future to bring in Garland, we'll have to makeup for it elsewhere. Tell me what you think. 

What about just Schmidt for Garland? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

What about just Schmidt for Garland? 

No. 

They are already deep on the left side. Garland is their top scorer. They are trying to stockpile picks after the mess that Chayka guy left, that guy was a terrible GM. Just because you're in a non-traditional market doesn't mean you have to hire some douche who hasn't paid his dues and then go all goo-goo over analytics. If I saw that Chayka guy on the street I'd be like:  "Yo, nice job wasting those picks in the McDavid draft." Can you imagine if Ron Francis was running the Coyotes? They'd have Aho and Marner instead of Schmaltz and Merkley lol. No comparison. 

PS

Getting back to Garland for Schmidt, IF the 'Yotes wanted to trade Garland they would definitely ask for 9OV. Everyone saying "Yeah, let's trade a 2nd rounder for Garland" is just out to lunch. If we want Garland, we've got to pay big. Think Miller trade all over again.

Bottom line: If we do make this trade with Arizona we're going have to make some concessions, If we do that, I only want to do it the players we're targeting aren't available. 

Edited by morrissex95

On 7/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, BigTramFan said:

Yup, I acknowledged that I was wrong in the signing thread. I don't think the 1st was just for him though.

• Cheers 1