The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat and his future [agent on don and dahli]

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If McDavid is sticking it out in Edmonton, Bo will do the same in Vancouver.

We've got more to worry about if Petey and Hughes get bridge contracts and the league looks different when they expire...

You win Cups in this league now by drafting and developing your core of 5/7, not by signing UFAs or trades to build the core, which is why we have to keep these guys together. Our core right now is Bo, Petey, Brock, Hughes and Demko. To make it 7, I'd say add Miller and Juolevi (in a while, otherwise Myers). 

We live and die by that core and whether it's good enough to win a Cup or not, only time will tell.

PIT won cups making trades, CHI did too.   I think it takes more then just drafting BPA, highly unlikely you end up with exactly what you need and trades are inevitable to push over the edge (core trades like Hossa, Kessel, Carter/Richards etc).   LA also made core trades (Carter for one).  We are close to doing that ourselves, we won't have the cap for all three of BB, Horvat and Miller. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While I'm pretty adamant we hold onto him this year, next offseason we seriously need to think about moving Miller. 

Yes we do.   It's possible he could re-sign but the cost will go up quite a bit.   One of the three likely can't be retained, might as go for the younger ones and recoup what we traded him for. 

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

I have to wonder how bad things got last year with how unhappy the players are. Edler for the longest time wouldn't even consider waiving his no trade clause for a playoff team at the deadline, now suddenly he wants to compete? It really makes you wonder what went on behind the scenes.

For all we know, there could be a bit of the country club mentality left behind from the Sedin era, where some players think loyalty is everything and they should get the $ and term they want, even if it's a detriment to the team. But, considering the reports on Edler said he wasn't offended by the low offer, I'd say that he merely received much less term and $ than he expected and has now decided that maybe now is the time to chase a cup, especially if a team will pay him more $. 

These guys are professionals and understand it's a business, so I hardly think they're unhappy. There's the Gillis way of getting cheaper contracts by throwing out NMC to everyone like he's Oprah, or there's Benning’s way of, "This is how we feel we can build a team to stay uber competitive for years and years, and you either want to win or gtfo." Time will tell if things blow up in Benning’s face with his plan, but it's obvious he learned from the Eriksson deal: You can't keep handing out too much $ and term to aging vets who don't fit the long-term plan, such as Tanev and Marky, and now Edler. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

My prediction is:

We trade Bo + 9OA to Jersey for Jack Hughes + 4OA.

With 4OA we draft Luke Hughes.

Hello :frantic:

If they played baseball, which one would be on first base?

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

OMG there's so much drama in your posts.

Bo's a fierce competitor...did you ignore the part where his agent talked about one game away from taking Vegas out?  That mattered.  That fuelled Bo's fire (HERE) and you didn't have to read between the lines to hear that.  That team believed they could do it and he was part of it.  He isn't sitting around, head hanging low, waiting for a hero to come and save him.  

Tell me who wouldn't want to play with:  Petey, Brock, Quinn, Hoglander, Podkolzin?   You make it gloom and doom but that's your issue, not Bo's.  

"We" can't prove anything to Bo...Bo wants to prove this to US/himself.  That's how captains see things.  

Youre wrong and clueless to think hes starting to not get annoyed by us consistently losing. Hes been watching everybody have fun, go to playoffs while year after year we continue to suck. Oh well just another year of drafting, another year of waiting for contracts to run out so the team can actually maybe have good players that can make the playoffs yeah i mean wow how can he not be ecstatic for that. Right dab in the middle of his prime. Bravo

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Youre wrong and clueless to think hes starting to not get annoyed by us consistently losing. Hes been watching everybody have fun, go to playoffs while year after year we continue to suck. Oh well just another year of drafting, another year of waiting for contracts to run out so the team can actually maybe have good players that can make the playoffs yeah i mean wow how can he not be ecstatic for that. Right dab in the middle of his prime. Bravo

I'm clueless?

Sure.

Now he's starting to get annoyed?  Do you know him personally to make these statements on his behalf?

You took one part (out of context).....again, did you miss the part where his agent referenced the Vegas series?  And how they were one game away from advancing?  They were "having fun" when other teams were long gone.  That's likely fresh in his mind and a challenge to get back there, that's all.  

You're presenting like a bit of a Debbie Downer and that makes this team "no fun".  Try to join the "looking forward to the coming year" party because last year sucked...it wasn't all attributed to a team that did.  Covid, schedule and yeah....it's harder than it looks.  Bo gets that, even if some of the so called fans don't.  I'm sure Bo loves what he saw in Hoglander.  Brock.  Petey'll be back.  Quinn's a "fun guy" to play with.  Podz is going to be here.

Bo has been granted a leadership role here....go to another "fun" team and he's likely not going to have that C on his chest.  That seems to mean a lot to him...he's a character guy.  Not anything as you portray him to be.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Players come off their ELCs really fast, and become UFAs.  If the team is terrible you have to overpay to keep your own players… or just lose them.

I guess Colorado is just a terrible team then. They are about to "just lose" their captain as a UFA for nothing. Landeskog must be sick of all the losing and crappy management in Colorado. They should of traded him for picks and prospects at the deadline, that would of shown all the players staying behind how committed to winning and building a successful team they are. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

To be fair Bertuzzipunch, most of the top picks go to the bottom teams,so non are on powerhouse teams from the start and Bo is the oldest of the core and wants to lead this team

Getting top picks at the bottom is like getting 2  1st round picks, because your 2nd round pick is close to the same as the better teams 1st round picks

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'm clueless?

Sure.

Now he's starting to get annoyed?  Do you know him personally to make these statements on his behalf?

You took one part (out of context).....again, did you miss the part where his agent referenced the Vegas series?  And how they were one game away from advancing?  They were "having fun" when other teams were long gone.  That's likely fresh in his mind and a challenge to get back there, that's all.  

You're a bit of a Debbie Downer and that makes this team "no fun".  Try to join the "looking forward to the coming year" party because last year sucked...it wasn't all attributed to a team that did.  Covid, schedule and yeah....it's harder than it looks.  Bo gets that, even if some of the so called fans don't.

We will see but we cant do nothing this offseason. We have barely any cap to work with, our defense is a damn dumpster fire. 2 of the better D free agents have gone to the stupid kraken not that we had a chance to get either since we have no friggen money to sign anyone. More likely our defense will be worse and Bo will get sick of more losing. How could he not, honestly?

Whats clueless is thinking hes not going to get tired of all the losing and mis management this team has done since hes been here. 

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We will see but we cant do nothing this offseason. We have barely any cap to work with, our defense is a damn dumpster fire. 2 of the better D free agents have gone to the stupid kraken not that we had a chance to get either since we have no friggen money to sign anyone. More likely our defense will be worse and Bo will get sick of more losing. How could he not, honestly?

image.gif.3a755943c0a2666e8b3024b75bfdb185.gif

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I guess Colorado is just a terrible team then. They are about to "just lose" their captain as a UFA for nothing. Landeskog must be sick of all the losing and crappy management in Colorado. They should of traded him for picks and prospects at the deadline, that would of shown all the players staying behind how committed to winning and building a successful team they are. :picard:

What utter nonsense.  This may be news to you, but there is an actual way to measure how a team is performing.  This is some crazy inside info… but each game, one team wins and one team loses.  They even track those wins and losses with points so you can see which team is better or worse over the course of a whole season.

Colorado is not a “terrible team” and has performed significantly better than the Canucks.    

That is objectively reality.

One player wanting to go to free agency doesn’t make the argument you seem to be randomly asserting…

On 7/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Patel Bure said:

It’s absolutely one of the reasons why Benning needs to be aggressive within reason in this off season, and convince the players that last season was an anomaly (as opposed to 2019-2020).  If we just wait for our ‘bad contracts to run out’ and risk having another terrible season like this past season, you risk decreasing emotional engagement and buy in from the players.

Pretty sure they have understand math well enough to know the deal.   EP and QHs are probably both looking at how to spend their soon found millions wisely.   Which will include some nice real estate to make a home.   Horvat, BB and Miller all coming up at once is a problem given they will take some money from somewhere else ... pretty sure one of them will get traded and pretty sure it will be Miller.    Maybe not though.   Hope EP and QHs don't have an agent as greedy as BB's agent or this could be a long summer. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1