The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Well, Francis is looking true to his word about prioritizing cap space.  Let's him be a player in free agency and hold other teams over a barrel in trades.  This is only the beginning.

Hard to tell still but looks like he is doing well.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Well, Francis is looking true to his word about prioritizing cap space.  Let's him be a player in free agency and hold other teams over a barrel in trades.  This is only the beginning.

Suspect they will go after a C with that cap space.  Either by free agency or trade.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Not the right word but I was trying not be too harsh. 

On a related note, I was going to compliment you on your..."Gary is a dink".  Old school shade, I like it!

I calls it like I see's it. 

But I really don't think Jim panic trades the 9th. If he does he should get canned on the spot. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

couldn't protect + were not wiling to protect (would have cost a 1st round pick and 3rd round pick for Giordano).

Oleksiak would be a clear upgrade on Canucks blueline.

Larsson = slam dunk in Canucks situation

Point is, there are no Norris candidates here at this point and we have 4 NHL LHD and 1 NHL RHD.  Only Larsson is a big miss and there was no guarantee we would have signed him anyway.   

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

i want to hear only one good reason why Jim hasn't signed Hughes and Pettersson yet?

When do prominent RFA signed before July 1st anyways?  Never! their agent are not stupid, they lose the option of playing the offer sheet cards in the negotiations.  

Only reasons they would sign would be JB overpaying them.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Suspect they will go after a C with that cap space.  Either by free agency or trade.

Crazy thought. What If they package a bunch of picks, weaponize their space by taking on Skinner and go after Eichel? Do they have the assets?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that they'll be trading some of those defensemen they've stole.....picked.

Yeah doing what Vegas did.  Load up on one position then deal some of them for picks/assets/players.  Plenty of cap space to acquire guys via free agency as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

An interesting play by Kraken might be if they try to trade some of these defencemen as their value may be high this off-season.

Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn and Soucy make a very solid unit though, I'd stick with them and add a PMD somehow.

I wonder if Schmidt for Larsson could happen:  would address needs on both sides.