The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Well you got the stupid question part right at least.

Or are you to stupid to realize I was responding to another poster and you replied? Huh eh?

Edited by AbrasiveAjax

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

me too.

Seattle may be tripping out of the gate. Team looks as structured as this expansion draft event.

Agreed. D looks solid, but that forward group is a pretty big yikes. Lots of ahlers. They must have some veteran forwards lined up in Free Agency. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I don't know why there are so many cynical, sarcastic, nasty posters who claim to be fans but just crap on our team every chance they get.  I know we have some overpaid guys.  I know we are in a capcrunch to improve.  Get over it.  We just lost Lind who nobody projected in our starting 12 on opening day.  Not a big loss considering.

I for one am pumped about next year.  I love EP, Boes, Horvat, Hughes, Miller, Demko, Schmidt.  Can't wait to see OJ, Rathbone, Hogz, Motte become bigger contributors.  Dickinson is a great add.  I think Myers and Pearson are much better contributors than CDC give them credit for. I wish we had a chance to enjoy Ferland. I think Podz will be an instant coach and fan favourite.  

Overall, I actually like the construction of the team.  We need RHD and more center depth.  We have some cap space this year and will have lots next year.  This is a team to get excited about.  

Well said. I too am very pumped for the upcoming season. Haven't been to a game since St Patricks day 2018 against the Sharks. And can't wait to get back to the Rog in october. No matter how much we whine and complain about the make up of our roster. At the end of the day i will back our boys through thick and thin. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

SEA looks to have a lot of cap space available, if those selections are true. I wonder what they're up to, and I hope it has nothing to do with the Canucks. 

probably gonna take runs at Hyman, Schwartz, and some top 6 F which are UFAs...but where will they get a 1C???

1 minute ago, Analyst82 said:

If the list that was leaked is true.... The kraken must have trades or big UFA signings happening because this expansion draft is very underwhelming. 

Tonight will give us some insight since my understanding is that any expansion related trades can be announced tonight.  UFA signings will be intriguing.  They definitely look like they are gearing up to be big players in the UFA market and as noted by others, could even be a destination for Eichel in the trade market.

IIRC, Buffalo did say they expect to have a 2nd 2021 1st Rd pick.  What if they have already been in discussions with Seattle about the 2nd OA pick for Eichel?  I assume there would be other pieces in play too, but adding Eichel would make their forward group much more formidable (health concerns aside).

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

me too.

Seattle may be tripping out of the gate. Team looks as structured as this expansion draft event.

Eddie Lack was on 650 yesterday.  He said don't expect anything big with Francis.  He likes to build from the defence out.  Looks like Eddie was right...

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Tonight will give us some insight since my understanding is that any expansion related trades can be announced tonight.  UFA signings will be intriguing.  They definitely look like they are gearing up to be big players in the UFA market and as noted by others, could even be a destination for Eichel in the trade market.

IIRC, Buffalo did say they expect to have a 2nd 2021 1st Rd pick.  What if they have already been in discussions with Seattle about the 2nd OA pick for Eichel?  I assume there would be other pieces in play too, but adding Eichel would make their forward group much more formidable (health concerns aside).

Now that would be something! 

9 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

My guy tells me Francis doesn't go for a guy like Eichel.  Doesn't jive with what he is currently doing.  I think he keeps the pick and drafts Beniers.  He may fill the forward group with some UFA's, but there are no big name guys he can sign that will help him fill out the top 6.

1 minute ago, Analyst82 said:

Now that would be something! 

Given the expected selections, Seattle must still be expecting to add significant cap post expansion unless ownership does not want to spend to the cap but that seems unlikely.  The most logical reason for retaining all the cap space is to acquire assets that would take up that cap space.  That could come from:

1. UFA signings;
  2. cap dumps with high draft picks as sweeteners; and/or
  3. additions of high end, high cap players.

Eichel (trade) and Hamiton (UFA) are the most likely high priced players to be added and so far it looks like Seattle would probably have little trouble fitting them under the cap.

30 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Let's not forget the sun will rise again tomorrow. That's fact, not SPECULATION

OMG, I forgot that sports boards aren't for speculation. WOW, how did I miss that one?       :shock:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My guy tells me Francis doesn't go for a guy like Eichel.  Doesn't jive with what he is currently doing.  I think he keeps the pick and drafts Beniers.  He may fill the forward group with some UFA's, but there are no big name guys he can sign that will help him fill out the top 6.

That is totally reasonable too.  The question mark for me is whether ownership will pressure Francis to add at least one big name especially at a position that they already appear to be a bit weaker in (even if I think that the projected selections show that they might have sneaky good C depth).  They already passed on Price (which I think was probably the right call) and it seemed ownership really wanted Price.  Of course, Francis' passing on Price might show that he doesn't care about pressure from ownership.

I guess if Seattle signs Hamilton that will be one big name, but they have already selected a respectable top 6 D so while Hamilton should still be a major improvement, it may not be a huge area of focus for them and Hamilton, as good as he has been, doesn't have quite the same name recognition.

At the end of the day though, I agree with you that acquiring Eichel doesn't seem like a Francis move but it is interesting to speculate and would certainly make a giant splash that might be received well for the franchise from a business perspective.

• Upvote 1