The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, -SN- said:

I can only guess, but it might be a combination of things:

• They didn't like any of the available players, but had to pick one. 
  • He's super cheap so they can save cap space for other moves. 
  • They like his analytics. 

17 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

His analytics are horrific.

I would have went with Kevin Stenlund instead...

Centre or RW

24 years old

6'4" 215lbs

10pts in 32gms last year

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I would have went with Kevin Stenlund instead...

Centre or RW

24 years old

6'4" 215lbs

10pts in 32gms last year

Big Brainz Francis trying to make a next level roster with a bunch of random players.

He ended up picking Eberle from NYI. It's not a bad pick, but there's something to be said about LOU LAM of NYI. He lost a 2nd this year, a 2nd for 2022, and a 3rd for 2023, AND EBERLE for free.

https://elitesportsny.com/2021/07/21/nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-kraken-to-select-islanders-forward-jordan-eberle-report/

Just now, Dazzle said:

Big Brainz Francis trying to make a next level roster with a bunch of random players.

He ended up picking Eberle from NYI. It's not a bad pick, but there's something to be said about LOU LAM of NYI. He lost a 2nd this year, a 2nd for 2022, and a 3rd for 2023, AND EBERLE for free.

https://elitesportsny.com/2021/07/21/nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-kraken-to-select-islanders-forward-jordan-eberle-report/

Does Seattle taking Eberle clear enough cap now for Lou Lam to get Landeskog?  So surprised the Krackheads didn’t go for some good players.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Seattle taking Eberle clear enough cap now for Lou Lam to get Landeskog?  So surprised the Krackheads didn’t go for some good players.  

I guess.

Seattle is off to a very poor start. Are they addicted to drafting high?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Those picks were to dump Ladd’s contract, which he was stuck with when he got there. Seems like a reasonable move, and has nothing to do with losing Eberle too.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Boom.

Wow, Kraken are proving more and more that they're gonna suck LOL.

These were the picks they could've had.

Forwards

Riley Barber

Kyle Criscuolo

Turner Elson

Valtteri Filppula

Sam Gagner

Luke Glendening

Darren Helm

Taro Hirose

Vladislav Namestnikov

Frans Nielsen

Bobby Ryan

Evgeny Svechnikov

Dominic Turgeon

Hayden Verbeek

Defensemen

Alex Biega

Dennis Cholowski

Danny DeKeyser

Christian Djoos

Joe Hicketts

Dylan McIlrath

Marc Staal

Troy Stecher

Goaltenders

Jonathan Bernier

Kevin Boyle

Kaden Fulcher

Calvin Pickard

And they picked Cholowski, who according to this article, is basically a bust for Detroit.:picard:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/07/18/detroit-red-wings-unprotected-list-dennis-cholowski-nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-kraken/8007277002/

Cholowski, 23, has not developed into the potential the Wings saw in him in 2016, when then-GM Ken Holland and director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright described Cholowski as a high-end offensive defenseman. He is an NHL-caliber skater and passer, but his lack of assertiveness has cost him multiple chances at establishing a foothold with the Wings. In 104 NHL games dating to the 2018-19 season, Cholowski has 10 goals and 27 points and a minus-47 rating. He has 35 points and a minus-19 rating in 69 career games with the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins.

Terrible GMing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Those picks were to dump Ladd’s contract, which he was stuck with when he got there. Seems like a reasonable move, and has nothing to do with losing Eberle too.

No it's not LOL. If Lou thinks NYI is gonna be good for the next few years, he's likely gonna package his first round picks to make these playoff pushes. Therefore, starting from 3rd round picks onward, for the next three years, he's gonna have to draft somebody good. Otherwise, his prospect pool is gonna risk getting stagnant (ala Gillis).

Losing Eberle was due to Lou protecting Clutterbuck and Martin.

Anyone else think they’re gonna try to be bad the first few seasons?

Good drafts to do it if you wanna start building through the draft.

Seattle is a strong enough market, unlike Vegas, where they could be bad and fans would support them if they saw their plan.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Cholowski Playing hard to get 

Seattle is antifa and lefty central to the alt righters. Maybe he's one of them and was going "Please don't pick me, please don't pick me........". Then fatalism struck.

HKSR I didn't see your post until after I posted. Grape minds think I like.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 2