The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They underestimate how long we've been suffering ! 

Lol

Yup - we’ve invested soooooo much, it makes it virtually impossible to walk away until that investment pays off. The ultimate stakes for the heartiest gamblers!

In it to win it.

There are no other options. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I personally would have taken Ghost outta Philly. He has history with Hakstol, has proven to be a good puck moving option and is not a fossil.

But they took a guy that has the upside of a 4th liner at best from them instead lol

Hopefully GMs are still pissed from the last expansion draft and the extortionist prices the Kraken were asking for this time.

Don’t do them any favours. Paying to dump players is a bad strategy. Better to bite the bullet or buyout a player.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

For comparison, these were the trades Golden Knights had made on the same day as the expansion draft:

• JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire a 2020 second-round pick from the Pittsburgh Penguins for future considerations.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire a 2017 first-round pick and a 2019 third-round pick from the Winnipeg Jets for the Columbus Blues Jackets' 2017 first-round pick previously acquired by Vegas.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward David Clarkson, a 2017 first-round pick and a 2019 second-round pick from the Columbus Blue Jackets for future considerations.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Alex Tuch from the Minnesota Wild for a third-round pick in either 2017 or 2018.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire defenseman Shea Theodore from the Anaheim Ducks for future considerations.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Mikhail Grabovski, defenseman Jake Bischoff, a 2017 first-round pick and a 2019 second-round pick from the New York Islanders for future considerations. 
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Nikita Gusev, a 2017 second-round pick and a 2018 fourth-round pick from the Tampa Bay Lightning for future considerations. 
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire a 2017 fifth-round pick from the Carolina Hurricanes previously acquired from the Boston Bruins for future considerations.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Reilly Smith from the Florida Panthers for a 2018 fourth-round pick.
  • JUNE 21: Vegas Golden Knights acquire a 2017 sixth-round pick in a trade with the Buffalo Sabres for future considerations.

A total of 10 trades.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Having stripped the rest of the league of their old-timers, higher-priced players, grinders &  fringier young talent…no way should Seattle be drafting in the top 3.

Kraken should be drafting - last.

No more early leg-ups for expansion newbies - good grief! 

$650 million expansion fee.  They’re gonna get some benefits. 

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, viking mama said:

Yup - we’ve invested soooooo much, it makes it virtually impossible to walk away until that investment pays off. The ultimate stakes for the heartiest gamblers!

In it to win it.

There are no other options. 

As of right now the Canucks are in a better spot than Seattle aswell.

They have cap space to play with, and opportunity. But I don't see a Demko/Horvat/Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser group on their roster. 

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah I get what they are trying to do there but wouldn’t you have at least selected a guy like Bean? 

I think some Fans are a little jealous cause we need a couple guys like a Larson or Oleksiak. But there’s no balance there it seems to me. Should be able to hem them in I would think 

Thing is Francis was GM of Carolina so he must have his best info on Bean and Geekie.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

I think Seattle might offer sheet Petterson. They have 33 million in cap space and they can make Petterson their face of the franchise while sticking it to us. 

Yeah sure 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully GMs are still pissed from the last expansion draft and the extortionist prices the Kraken were asking for this time.

Don’t do them any favours. Paying to dump players is a bad strategy. Better to bite the bullet or buyout a player.

1st round picks are more important than ever in a flat cap era. Francis got greedy. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tons of cap room left for shopping 

Landeskog 

Parise

Palmeri

Hyman

Tartar

Dzingel

Barrie

Apparently Hyman is in Edmonton today, so Holland might be considering 8 years on him. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

1st round picks are more important than ever in a flat cap era. Francis got greedy. 

Yep I’m thinking he thought he could play the Vegas play book and it backfired.

GMs we’re much smarter this time around.

• Vintage 1